Tidal is becoming a PIA

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
So I've been using Spotify Premium for the past few years. I've built a nice playlist with a variety of music. I like the interface a lot, easy to edit playlist, change the order of songs etc. Shows lyrics, which is cool. Also I can play right to the AVR from the Spotify app without issue. But of course Spotify is not lossless, so I tried Tidal. It seems to sound fuller. I know the lossless stream sounds better in my car sure.

But Tidal is pain. I can't stream right from the app. Because the app seems to pick up the Chromecast in my Sony TV, but it doesn't see the Yamaha AVR. So I had to import the Tidal playlist into the MusicCast app. Then it will play to the AVR. But every time I edit the playlist, add songs or whatever, I have to clear the playlist from MusicCast and re import it. Unless there is something I am missing. Over the past few days, when I pull up MusicCast to play Tidal, I'll choose a song and sometimes at might take take seconds for the song to start playing, or it doesn't play it all. The transition from one song to next sometimes takes 10 seconds or more. Doesn't seem right.

There was a recent update to MusicCast, so I'm not sure what effect that's had on Tidal. But now I can't seem to get Tidal to play at all. When I tap song, nothing plays. When it did play, sometimes it would skip songs in the playlist......totally random. It just seems Tidal lossless is far more trouble than it's worth. Considering just going back to Spotify at this point. I just wanted to see if anybody else here had issues with Tidal.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Tidal was a little bit glitchy here today using the RX-V6A. I had to go into the MusicCast app and sign out of Tidal and then back into it. Afterward, a Playlist I added to My Music using the Tidal app did show up in the MusicCast Controller app when selecting the Tidal service.

Yamaha receivers do not support Chromecast so streaming directly to them using Chromecast will not work. One can Airplay to a Yamaha receiver using an Apple device or use a supported streaming service in the MusicCast Controller app to stream music from the selected service to the Yamaha receiver over the connected network.

While Spotify Connect is supported in some receivers, Tidal Connect is NOT supported in some receivers. So, without Tidal Connect, Airplay or Chromecast available using the Tidal app in a particular Smart device and Yamaha receiver combo, the Tidal service through the MusicCast Controller app will be the way to go.
IMG_4922.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I did notice, as somebody posted in another thread, that MAX selections in 24/96 or 24/192 are playing back at 16/44.1 on certain apps and devices.

Currently, everything on Tidal using MusicCast is in 16/44.1 here. Switch to the Tidal app in my Mac mini M1 and everything plays in its respective bit/rate.
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 1.46.44 PM.png

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I did notice, as somebody posted in another thread, that MAX selections in 24/96 or 24/192 are playing back at 16/44.1 on certain apps and devices.
So what? The human ear cannot find a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 or 24/192.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I know it, we all know it. Some don't like a signal converted for any reason during playback. They want the signal played as advertised. Some others cannot resist hijacking threads any time hi-res is mentioned at all. Those individuals should start their own threads and leave others alone if they have nothing to post concerning the subject of the thread.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

Currently, everything on Tidal using MusicCast is in 16/44.1 here. Switch to the Tidal app in my Mac mini M1 and everything plays in its respective bit/rate.
View attachment 68648
The sign out and back in worked. Really appreciate your help.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I know it, we all know it. Some don't like a signal converted for any reason during playback. They want the signal played as advertised. Some others cannot resist hijacking threads any time hi-res is mentioned at all. Those individuals should start their own threads and leave others alone if they have nothing to post concerning the subject of the thread.
Nobody can listen to high-res. Anyway, hi-res or not, digital sound has to be converted to analog for playback on loudspeakers! Hi-res is just a marketing myth, hype.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Enough @Verdinut. Start your own thread if you feel that strongly about it. Apologies @little wing.
Hey brother,

No worries. It's all good. I couldn't care less. For me it's all about enjoying the music, regardless of the format. There are some extremely knowledgeable, experienced people here, speaker builders, engineers, experts in audio, etc. But occasionally there's the other stuff. Part of human nature, I guess. Doesn't bother me at all. I think Pandora , Sirius and Spotify sound very good. I just figured I'd give Tidal a try, but ran into a couple glitches that you helped me with, LOL. That why I still get on here every now then. Thanks again man.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Why don't you try to start your own marketing bullshit thread? You won't go far with it!
I don't see what you are getting out of shape over. Can you leave the active thread members alone?

I have a 300mbps symmetrical internet. I really don't care if I stream 16/44.1 or 24/96.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don't see what you are getting out of shape over. Can you leave the active thread members alone?

I have a 300mbps symmetrical internet. I really don't care if I stream 16/44.1 or 24/96.
W

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tidal was a PIA when I gave it a trial. Never even considered returning, especially as at the time they were blanketed in the MQA nonsense as well as Jayz's ego.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Tidal was a PIA when I gave it a trial. Never even considered returning, especially as at the time they were blanketed in the MQA nonsense as well as Jayz's ego.
I find all of the streaming services to be a bit too helpful and suggestive, which amounts to an overly bloated GUI for my use. I never needed help managing or customizing a playlist. I don't need to keep a playlist at all, really. I typically either choose a random album for whatever mood I am in, or random discovery like a radio station that doesn't do too many repeats.

The only repetitive playlist I keep is by way of FLAC rips on my pc. I had all of the apps simultaneously, including Amzon, with trying to decide which one to keep and ended up using Pandora for reliability and ease of use, HD be damned. For my use and age, it has occurred to me that there can be too many choices with just about everything, these days.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I find all of the streaming services to be a bit too helpful and suggestive, which amounts to an overly bloated GUI for my use. I never needed help managing or customizing a playlist. I don't need to keep a playlist at all, really. I typically either choose a random album for whatever mood I am in, or random discovery like a radio station that doesn't do too many repeats.

The only repetitive playlist I keep is by way of FLAC rips on my pc. I had all of the apps simultaneously, including Amzon, with trying to decide which one to keep and ended up using Pandora for reliability and ease of use, HD be damned. For my use and age, it has occurred to me that there can be too many choices with just about everything, these days.
I hear you. Makes sense. I like Pandora as well. I've ripped about 95GBs worth of music from my CDs as well, and use Jriver to get them to the audio system and it works perfect. WAV and Flac.

The only reason I keep a playlist in Tidal is because it has about 14 hours of music across various genre's that I don't actually own. So it's convenient that way. Bugs seem to worked out, so at $10 a month I guess I'll keep it for now.

But I agree, there are way to many choices these days. I like to keep things simple.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis