TI Intros Lamp-free LED DLP Projector

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Texas Instruments (TI) introduced what it claims is the industry's first home theater lamp-free projector at this week's InfoComm 2008. It utilizes a Luminus PhlatLight LED light source and a BrilliantColor chipset. PhlatLight is MIT-inspired technology which uses a new type of solid state light source that combines the benefits of both LED and laser technologies. This unique solid state lighting technology is geared towards display and illumination applications that require high brightness and the efficient harnessing of light from a small point source.

Discuss "TI Intros Lamp-free LED DLP Projector" here. Read the article.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Now this will be interesting to see how development goes with this.
Huge drawback to projection is the lamps.

amagiri

amagiri

Enthusiast
Agree, if you can achieve at a minimum the same capabilities of UHP lamp without having to deal with hassle of decreasing brilliance and cost of lamp replacement; then you have nirvana. Of course, pricing needs to be about the same, as J6P does not factor in the cost of bulbs when comparing initial purchase price.

Definately technology to watch.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Awesome news!!! This is precisely what projector technology needs to kill off those annoying things like flat panel tvs.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Very interesting technology. I would be curious to know how color temperature is controlled and and what range they can generate.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I really like the looks of this, definitely something to keep an eye on.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Awesome!

Sounds Awesome!!!! ...but I wonder what pricing will be? I'm pretty sure they will cost more since manufacturers know they will be able to charge a premium for them. But if not, it may render all the other projectors on the market obsolete. :D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Gooooood.

I was waiting for this exact thing to happen before I buy a projector! Lamp replacement is a major turn off for me.

So I guess in maybe 2 years we'll see some affordable and reliable products that proved themselves in both PQ and reliability.

Another thing that's good to point out is that LEDs dissipate much less heat. So fan noise will be decreased.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
This is fantastic. I'm glad to see DLP bring back its edge.

P

powerboost12

Enthusiast
To answer the above question about color temperature if you look at the new LED lights they are using red, green, and blue so the colors should be pretty awesome unlike white led or regular light bulbs. Here's a new projector that is using red, green, blue leds.

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/m2_micro_projector.htm

Ooops just noticed this article is 3 years old... sorry...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis