Thoughts on re-powering a Snell subwoofer

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I recently lucked up on a 3.1 Snell set- https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/new-member-with-lucky-thrift-shop-hifi-finds.115635/

Not long ago, I unplugged the sub when leaving out of town for a few days in case a storm ripped through. I returned home, plugged it in and it went right into protection mode. Long story short, the plate amp is gonzo. Apparently old Snell parts and stock was bought by a company called Atomic HiFi & TV. Snell folded in 2010. They have the NOS plate amp replacement for the sub, but want $550 for it, ouch. The amp they are offering me is apparently the 3rd and last iteration Snell was using in the Basis 300, the toroidal version I had was obviously an earlier design.

I'm not sure with subwoofer advancements, etc that repairing it is actually worth it when SVS/HSU/Rythmik subs can be had for almost the asking price of the Snell plate amp. I don't know what to do, so I'm here for some thoughts....

As another member pointed out in my other thread, having the full Snell set with matched cabinets sure is cool. Sub is fine, resistance was 3.8 on mine. My listening room is strictly stereo music with a volume of 1152 cubic feet. I listen to a very wide range of music from Dexter Gordon to Grizzly Bear, The National to Jason Isbell. When the sub was working, the 2.1 system was comprised of an Arcam AVR350, and Snell D7 towers. Here's some pics of the 10" that is in the Snell Basis 300 cabinet-

My user manual states the frequency response as 26Hz- 150hz, +/- 3dB. Max output 107 dB. Here are some pics I snagged off eBay that are of the driver. It's burly, and obviously 4 ohms.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Old plate amp that failed, toroidal type:
20190823_121231.jpg

20190709_131927.jpg

New 3rd gen plate amp being offered, Class D, I presume:

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Tough decision!

You’re right about the current offerings offering more performance for a bit more money. Probably the main reason to keep the Snell would be for its looks. Quite frankly, the budget offerings from HSU, SVS and Rythmik are flat-out ugly compared to the Snell.

Another reason might be the Snell’s performance for its size. It’s smaller than the HSU VTF-1 and Rythmik L12. The SVS 1000 is smaller, but won’t dig as deep or probably have as much output.

Speaking of output, Snell claimed the Bassis had an output of 107 dB. That seems pretty impressive for such a small sub with only a 10” driver. That’s a spec you don’t seem to see much now. It would be worth digging up some user reviews of current offerings to see what their maximum output is.

The Bassis is also considerably heavier than the aforementioned current budget offerings, which says nothing bad about it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you happen to have the sub turned on when you plugged it back in? I lost one that way once... :(

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I'm not really certain, I likely flipped off the power switch prior to plugging back in. I briefly had it set out in the living room hooked up to my 5.1 home theatre to see how it sounded with the large open floor plan. I do recall noticing a couple times during a movie the sub didn't seem to be on, then it would be. Likely it was singing it's swan song then, but I didn't realize it.

I think my hang up is wanting to keep the matched set as they are really kind on the eyes, but damn that's a chunk of money just for a plate amp...

20190601_174545.jpg
20190601_174606.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think my hang up is wanting to keep the matched set as they are really kind on the eyes, but damn that's a chunk of money just for a plate amp...
I can completely relate to that. I would want to keep the matching sub too. In fact I'd probably go with replacing that amp unless I found a newer sub that greatly outperforms that one. I'd soothe my conscience by telling myself that even tho I spent that much for the sub amp, I still got a nice deal on some beautiful equipment.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I say, if it is for music, it is a good enough sub to replace the amp and have the matched Snell kit. You are not giving up too much for music, and Snell is a cool company and it certainly seems well designed!
I kind of hate to admit that I would chose looks over sound quality, but it gets to the question of how much SQ are you forfeiting and how much are you gaining looks. Actually, it is more than just looks - something about having the full setup from a revered, but small American speaker company as was intended. Most other speaker company's manufactured a subwoofer as an after-thought to take advantage of easy sales to customers when they were buying speakers. By the look of things, Snell decided they wanted a well designed sub they could be proud of. Snell had a pretty damn good engineering/design team!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I say, if it is for music, it is a good enough sub to replace the amp and have the matched Snell kit. You are not giving up too much for music, and Snell is a cool company and it certainly seems well designed!
I kind of hate to admit that I would chose looks over sound quality, but it gets to the question of how much SQ are you forfeiting and how much are you gaining looks. Actually, it is more than just looks - something about having the full setup from a revered, but small American speaker company as was intended. Most other speaker company's manufactured a subwoofer as an after-thought to take advantage of easy sales to customers when they were buying speakers. By the look of things, Snell decided they wanted a well designed sub they could be proud of. Snell had a pretty damn good engineering/design team!
Those are my thoughts. I think the Snell looks well designed and engineered and I'll bet it sounds pretty damned good, even if it doesn't get too deep into subterranean notes. What's out there right now for ~ $400 - 500 range that will be a step up?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I want both quality as well as looks as we have to look at them every day in our living room, up to a point of price, of course. Both me and my wife like the SVS sealed subwoofers in high gloss black, especially as my second one is in a corner behind a sofa out of sight.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not really certain, I likely flipped off the power switch prior to plugging back in. I briefly had it set out in the living room hooked up to my 5.1 home theatre to see how it sounded with the large open floor plan. I do recall noticing a couple times during a movie the sub didn't seem to be on, then it would be. Likely it was singing it's swan song then, but I didn't realize it.

View attachment 30907View attachment 30908
In your second picture, is the tweeter on the back of the speaker?

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Yes, there is a soft dome on the back of each tower. Down near the speaker connects are two switches, one for a "boundary" setting and the other to turn the rear firing tweeter on and off.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In your second picture, is the tweeter on the back of the speaker?
IMHO, That is part of the "Snell appeal"!
They are not just another speaker company! They took their own approach and did it well to make some very fine speakers!
The rear tweeters are designed to add depth to the sound stage. Unfortunately I have never heard these, but I like the Snell gear I have heard.
When they came out, the speakers went for $3000/pr and the sub for another $1500

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I want both quality as well as looks as we have to look at them every day in our living room, up to a point of price, of course. Both me and my wife like the SVS sealed subwoofers in high gloss black, especially as my second one is in a corner behind a sofa out of sight.
I love the way SVS gear looks. I want a pair of their subs, but the big ones are pretty pricey and I need big for my room. The outlet sale they have going on right now has some legit pretty good pricing tho! I wish I was still shopping. I really, really do. I already picked out a pair. They're gone now tho... They've been pumping a lot of merchandise through there the last couple days. I know, I've been watching. :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I have enough gear I'd get that thing working pretty quick (external amps, minidsp if needed). Would be nice to know what dsp was applied in the original amp, tho. I seem to remember you also found a plate amp at parts-express.com of same dimension?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would probably bite the bullet and replace the amp. Then I'd find a similar performing SVS subwoofer and tuck it into a corner or make an end table so I had duals...

I know. I'm a terrible influence.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
The rear tweeters are designed to add depth to the sound stage.
They do, it took me a bit to realize it. I wasn't sure if they applied to my stereo listening set up. I thought they were for home theatre, but after reading the user manual I found online, that is not the case. Too bad this matching center with the D'Appalito array just sits.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Personally I have enough gear I'd get that thing working pretty quick (external amps, minidsp if needed). Would be nice to know what dsp was applied in the original amp, tho. I seem to remember you also found a plate amp at parts-express.com of same dimension?
I've got a stout Niles power amp I'm thinking of bridging and running off the Arcam just to play with the sub some more before I pull the trigger. I could use the DSP off the Arcam, yes?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got a stout Niles power amp I'm thinking of bridging and running off the Arcam just to play with the sub some more before I pull the trigger. I could use the DSP off the Arcam, yes?
Should be easy enough to wire to find out....don't know what dsp might be applicable that the Arcam may have (not familiar with Arcam in any case). Since it's ported perhaps it only had a protective high pass filter below tuning, maybe some boost somewhere....worth a try but don't get too crazy too fast :)

ps You sure the Niles is capable of bridging?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes my friend, a true enabler by all accounts!
Lol.

I'll tell you what tho, seems the general consensus is your sub's worth saving and there might be more than one path to get there. There's a little bit of good news. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. I wish you luck man.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think you can use any amp you want. It is a ported sub which you can not Eq. You can not use DSP. So I would put a set of terminals on the back and use any amp 200 to 300 watt.

You need to be careful about bridging as that is a 4 ohm sub driver. So when bridged you need a speaker double the impedance an amp is rated for, or you will blow it. So for bridging you need a 2 ohm capable amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis