Thoughts on OLED vs LED.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So I’m seriously considering upgrading from my old 2014 49in crappy Sharp TV this month or next month. Was reading this article:
Leaning more twards the Samsung QLED or the Sony 900F as there’s been talk about burn in with the LG OLED
If you’re an OLED owner please chime in. I saw on another thread here on AH that an the LG OLEDs are great. If there was no burn in issues for the OLEDs the LG would be my choice. Will probably get something for Black Friday or Cyber Monday when a sale goes up. I’m not the type to upgrade TVs often so whatever I decide I will probably keep for 5+ years. Would be appreciate any thoughts/ recommendations.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I'm not an OLED owner, but suggest you go and take a look in person. They are stunning. I don't think anyone can tell you whether or not you need to worry about burn in. Are your viewing habits such that burn in would be a concern?

And my second choice (price not an option) at this point would be the Vizio P series Quantum. JMO.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Burn in should not be an issue if you play time to time and watch movies / TV between the playing. It only comes an issue if you play the same game all the time and it always has the same static icons/menus on same positions. I read about one big burn in test for OLED and you need hundreds of hours of constant content to get burn in. Also if you dont use the backlight at 100% you are on safer side. I personally use 60% baclight on dark room. For picture quality OLED is far superior in dark rooms, in really light room QLED can be better. Biggest problem with LED TV's is light bleed at corners/edges of the screen and I personally cant stand it on dark room.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
The most important factor is your room. If it's bright then go with a Samsung Q80 or Q90. If you can control the light, then the Sony OLEDs are a great choice.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
When you are nearing top of the line TVs, you should look at your room and your viewing habits as much as anything else.

OLED is king. This is not even open for discussion when it comes to raw image quality. It has excellent off axis viewing and black levels which no other format can touch. Pioneer Kuro owners have put their plasma displays up against OLED and OLED has (barely) come out on top.

LCD televisions are still just LCD televisions. They've gotten worlds better over the years, and in certain areas they really do a better job than what OLED can do.
Specifically, they can be brighter and they don't really suffer from burn-in potential.

Now, if you are a gamer, and this will be your main gaming display, and you expect to play for hours at a time with games that have the same menu bars on screen all the time, then I probably wouldn't get OLED. I would get a good LCD and call it a day. I would compare the best LCDs from Sony and Samsung if I were just going for the absolute best, no questions asked.

But, if I was playing video games not that often, and preferred great quality for movies, then I would opt for OLED. If was in a bright room where movie watching isn't king, but perhaps sports viewing was... I would go for a LCD.

In my family room, I had a plasma for years, but the room was really bright. I ended up swapping it for a LCD display. No question that the plasma had an image that was superior. But, the LCD is clearly brighter and really makes daytime viewing a good deal more enjoyable for everyone in the house. In the end, a good choice. Had I not had a plasma to begin with, I probably wouldn't have noticed the dip in image quality.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Be sure to demo these from the distance you will end up sitting away from them. They all look more and more similar viewed from 10 ft away. :) I would lean towards a larger display rather than the most detailed smaller one. Good luck! :)

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I am thinking about a similar switch. I too game, in the evenings (its a nice way to unwind), and currently have a Panasonic plasma as my main display. The fear with plasmas always was around burn-in. That said, I have minor burn-in from the UI elements (thanks Destiny), though they are VERY faint, no else sees them, and switching to general viewing seems to resolve them (at least until next time I log in).

Being an Image Quality stickler (I work in medical imaging, my eye is trained to see image artifacts), OLED seems to be at the top of the list. The LG C9 or B8 are what I was looking at. With the C9 edging out the B8 while costing the new model premium.

Things to look out for are how the display handles inputs, image lag when presented with a lot of fast moving objects (panning), color accuracy. The new c9 seems to win all of these categories. Now I to look at the high-end LED backlit LCD's/QLED's and see how they compare in raw performance.

This display gets a healthy dose of movies, gaming, sports events, etc. So the ability to handle different inputs effectively is king.

If I had to choose right now, I'd go with the C9.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I have minor burn-in from the UI elements (thanks Destiny)
Yep, I've played that one so I know what you're talking about. I don't play a ton of video games anymore as the job has been keeping me super busy.
(I work in medical imaging, my eye is trained to see image artifacts)
I work as a video editor so I feel you. I'll go check out the C9 this weekend. Thx for the tips guys!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just throwing out another option!

Is 65" a) the size you want or b) the size you can afford in OLED/QLED?
IMHO, OLED and QLED are still in the early phase of development where the cost is dropping significantly each year (especially in large TV's)!
If you really want a 80" or larger OLED/QLED, it might make sense to buy Rtings $600 65" Budget recommendation today to hold you while the larger OLED/QLED you really want drops in price!

Going from 49" to 65" is a 76% increase in screen area, so it is not like you won't realize a significant benefit!

Of course, this strategy works best if you can reclaim some value out of the 65" LED (either as a "hand me down" to someone or via Craigslist) when the OLED/QLED TV you really want becomes financially viable!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Is 65" a) the size you want or b) the size you can afford in OLED/QLED?
65" is the size I'd like but due to my viewing distance 55" will work just fine.
$600 65" Budget recommendation today to hold you while the larger OLED/QLED you really want drops in price!
I hear you on this. If I do an upgrade I want to do it right. My upgrade philosophy is live with no regrets. If I do it, I want to do it big.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll throw my hat in the ring. Yes, OLED quality is supreme, BUT only LG makes large OLED panels. Sony and others buy LG panels. I have an existing deep distrust in LG long term quality which comes from a very alarming 3 out of 4 LG devices I've own failed way before I'd consider device expiration date.

My advice, especially at 65" (bigger is better) is to take a very good look at Vizio Quantum-X displays.
They are 98% quality of OLED at a significant discount. they are also brighter and result work better in very bright rooms

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I have an existing deep distrust in LG long term quality which comes from a very alarming 3 out of 4 LG devices I've own failed way before I'd consider device expiration date.
Interesting.
Vizio Quantum-X displays.
They are 98% quality of OLED
I will absolutely take a look. Right now my top choices are the lg C9, Quantum X, and the Samsung X80/90 but depends whats on sale for Black Friday

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Yes, OLED quality is supreme, BUT only LG makes large OLED panels. Sony and others buy LG panels. I have an existing deep distrust in LG long term quality which comes from a very alarming 3 out of 4 LG devices I've own failed way before I'd consider device expiration date.

My advice, especially at 65" (bigger is better) is to take a very good look at Vizio Quantum-X displays.
They are 98% quality of OLED at a significant discount. they are also brighter and result work better in very bright rooms
Do you know if the Vizio suffers from bleeding light on corners / edges if you have completely dark room? This was the reason I ended up with OLED as the LED TV's were suffering from it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you know if the Vizio suffers from bleeding light on corners / edges if you have completely dark room? This was the reason I ended up with OLED as the LED TV's were suffering from it.
source:

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I found a lg OLED55E8PUA on sale for $1,160 at BuyDig. The sale is good till November 11. Opinions?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I found a lg OLED55E8PUA on sale for $1,160 at BuyDig. The sale is good till November 11. Opinions?
That is a good TV. I have had B8 for almost a year now and I have been happy with mine. E8 has the better cpu so should fit better for gaming than B8 does.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

source:
I don't really trust those videos as the LED TV I had for testing looked good on those videos but when I had it in my dark room running full screen movie I had some terrible bleeding. In bright room at store you could not see it at all. While reading from rtings how ever it does not sound so bad at all, but would have to see it in action on dark room to really tell. As the LED TV I had for test had pretty good rtings review as well but this Vizio should be clearly better by their review.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't really trust those videos as the LED TV I had for testing looked good on those videos but when I had it in my dark room running full screen movie I had some terrible bleeding. In bright room at store you could not see it at all. While reading from rtings how ever it does not sound so bad at all, but would have to see it in action on dark room to really tell. As the LED TV I had for test had pretty good rtings review as well but this Vizio should be clearly better by their review.
Just to clear you are talking about this specific model, right P65 Quantum X 2019 model?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Agreed, but I took the risk on LG. So far, so good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis