This is so sad to me

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed.

Slim's wasn't my favorite venue, but I saw some good acts there... to see it go down like that. SMH

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed.

Slim's wasn't my favorite venue, but I saw some good acts there... to see it go down like that. SMH
Yeah Slim's wasn't my favorite venue in SF, but not bad. Just the lack of actual live music, can't imagine going to a club just for a DJ spinning recordings....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Other than watching the Rave-Kitties barely wearing anything, I was pretty uninspired when a friend took us to see BassNectar at BGCA. *yawns

There's only so much wobble bass a man can take... and only so many time you can wait for a beat to drop. :rolleyes:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It's like CBGB's in New York City. Was a Great Place to see Live Music.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The similar place/music that comes to mind in SF for a while was Mabuhay Gardens....
Never been there.

There was a place I saw Concrete blonde that was not a big club on the main path of many bands, but was nice and intimate. Can't remember the name now.

Frankly, depending on the act, the Warfield and the Filmore were my favorites... the Warfield was almost like going to church... Saw Cowboy Junkies and Fiona Apple there in that kinda setting.
Los Lobos at the Filmore might have been some of the better shows I've ever seen. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never been there.

There was a place I saw Concrete blonde that was not a big club on the main path of many bands, but was nice and intimate. Can't remember the name now.

Frankly, depending on the act, the Warfield and the Filmore were my favorites... the Warfield was almost like going to church... Saw Cowboy Junkies and Fiona Apple there in that kinda setting.
Los Lobos at the Filmore might have been some of the better shows I've ever seen. ;)
Bottom of the Hill club is probably more along the lines of Mabuhay/CBGB? Fillmore is good, not really a club tho it does have some club amenities on the sides.....Warfield been to a coupla shows at but it was setup more as a theater than club. Bimbo's had some good stuff on occasion. Most of the club scene I think about was more like a bar with a small stage for a band, tho :) Lots of old blues and jazz acts could be found on a decent crawl....

ps Makes me wonder if Boom Boom Room has survived....one of the other clubs I've enjoyed but I did move away quite a while ago now....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah Slim's wasn't my favorite venue in SF, but not bad. Just the lack of actual live music, can't imagine going to a club just for a DJ spinning recordings....
@ryanosaur
Y'all either went to the wrong clubs or to the wrong style of music!

But, the best is when you have the DJ and an MC or 2, and get the non-commercialized hip hop. Real hip hop (i.e. not rap) is based on the jazz, funk, and soul!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur
Y'all either went to the wrong clubs or to the wrong style of music!

But, the best is when you have the DJ and an MC or 2, and get the non-commercialized hip hop. Real hip hop (i.e. not rap) is based on the jazz, funk, and soul!
Didn't do a lot of Hip Hop shows... but KRS-One at the Red Devil on Polk was astounding!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Didn't do a lot of Hip Hop shows... but KRS-One at the Red Devil on Polk was astounding!
I never had a chance to see KRS One (yet).

But, an absolute hip hop pioneer and legend. Also known as Teacha, because he educates the fools :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I never had a chance to see KRS One (yet).

But, an absolute hip hop pioneer and legend. Also known as Teacha, because he educates the fools :)
I had it on my phone for a while but lost it at somepoint... he busted a freestyle mid show, about 12 minutes IIRC. Simply stunning.
Hip Hop done right!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wharfield is a theater basically, I've seen 5 or 6 shows there. Masonic is a theater have also seen a few shows there. Regency Ballroom is where a lot of the older / indie / alternative acts are playing in SF. I have been to Fillmore often, not the best venue, but incredible history there and have seen some great shows there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I knew one of the guys who started Red Devil....almost lost one of our mountain bikes (well he did, we had to go and retrieve it out of a creek). Only went to one show there, a mutual friend's band.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah, now we have the new stadium, which I still haven't been to. Chase Center for the Warriors. I had two shows to see there already bought: Tool in June and Roger Waters in Aug. Tool cancelled their whole tour, Roger Waters still says postponed but no new date.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah, now we have the new stadium, which I still haven't been to. Chase Center for the Warriors. I had two shows to see there already bought: Tool in June and Roger Waters in Aug. Tool cancelled their whole tour, Roger Waters still says postponed but no new date.
I went to a coupla shows at the Coliseum's Arena in Oakland....hope the new facility is better acoustically.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Back on topic....yeah it is sad when an iconic venue shuts down.

One of the big ones for Austin was the Steamboat, but that closed before I had a chance to even really know much about it.

One that really sucked was Liberty Lunch. I saw a few great shows there, but it got torn down to build a parking garage :mad: :mad: :mad:

Emo's and Antone's (Stevie Ray Vaughan got his start in Antone's) moved to new locations, in some ways the new locations are better than the old.

And, the most recent with a rich history was the Threadgill's Armadillo World Headquarters. Too many legends to name, but Janis Joplin was one of the big ones.

I have also been to a few venues that are on the national register of historic places, like Floore's in San Antonio (Willie Nelson played there often in his early career).

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Back on topic....yeah it is sad when an iconic venue shuts down.

One of the big ones for Austin was the Steamboat, but that closed before I had a chance to even really know much about it.

One that really sucked was Liberty Lunch. I saw a few great shows there, but it got torn down to build a parking garage :mad: :mad: :mad:

Emo's and Antone's (Stevie Ray Vaughan got his start in Antone's) moved to new locations, in some ways the new locations are better than the old.

And, the most recent with a rich history was the Threadgill's Armadillo World Headquarters. Too many legends to name, but Janis Joplin was one of the big ones.

I have also been to a few venues that are on the national register of historic places, like Floore's in San Antonio (Willie Nelson played there often in his early career).
What year(s)? I lived there in the late 70s and only saw concerts at Hemisphere Arena. As well as a couple of ABA Spurs games,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Joe Rogan and his whole crew is gtfo'ing California. I listened to a clip from one of his latest podcasts and paints a pretty ugly picture of that whole area right now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis