This is how my Emotiva came back from repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
I received my XPA 7 back from Emotiva today. It was 3 months old with less than 25 hours on it when it started popping and smoke was coming out of the top with a strong burning smell.

The Styrofoam was in pieces on all sides, there was no plastic covering over the unit and so there is a thick residue from the Styrofoam on the front as well as the sides, and there were Styrofoam pieces that were broken off that were caught in the vent holes on the top and I am sure several small pieces had fallen in.

I went down at lunch to take it up to my apartment from the security desk so I haven't hooked it back up yet but it's disappointing that it came back like this.

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That sucks. My box came back pretty beat up too. That looks like a delivery company problem. Hook it up.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I received my XPA 7 back from Emotiva today. It was 3 months old with less than 25 hours on it when it started popping and smoke was coming out of the top with a strong burning smell.

The Styrofoam was in pieces on all sides, there was no plastic covering over the unit and so there is a thick residue from the Styrofoam on the front as well as the sides, and there were Styrofoam pieces that were broken off that were caught in the vent holes on the top and I am sure several small pieces had fallen in.

I went down at lunch to take it up to my apartment from the security desk so I haven't hooked it back up yet but it's disappointing that it came back like this.
If you hadn't been such a twot and connected both channels together, your amp would not be traveling round the country.

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
How does your comment have anything to do with the way this was packaged and sent back.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

How does your comment have anything to do with the way this was packaged and sent back.
https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...ht-did-i-damage-my-system.97094/#post-1108280

Shipping a heavy lump like a power amp via UPS or Fedex is going to incur some risk under the best of circumstances.

So being careful and not causing damage in the first place follows the good old maxim: - "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

You should be thanking your lucky stars that Emotiva honored your warranty under the circumstances.

If the amp looks and works fine, then you have no issue here. This is similar to your original post about the amp blowing your speakers before you tested them.

After the trouble you have put Emotiva to and your unwarranted complaints it behoves you to keep a low profile and not keep stirring the pot.

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
I think you are lucky it's not covered in piss and poop! But I do hope it gives you years of good service! If you call customer support again and raise hell, maybe they will quickly fix your styrofoam!?!?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Shipping a heavy lump like a power amp via UPS or Fedex is going to incur some risk under the best of circumstances.
This. ^^

You’re upset because the Styrofoam is broke? What do you think is going to happen to the Styrofoam if the box gets dropped or handled roughly?

The Styrofoam did its job and kept the amp from being damaged. Be thankful.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

highfigh

highfigh

Something that heavy should have been packed far better and that cardboard, which is about as strong as a wet soda cracker, should never have been used. Some companies, like Parasound, bag and double box their larger products, including things like preamps, which aren't as heavy. The cardboard is much stronger, too. IMO, that type of cardboard is inexcusable- the little extra it costs to use something that would survive isn't worth omitting. It costs far more to deal with the aftermath.

What condition was the box before it was opened? If it had any damage to the outside, it should have been opened in the presence of the driver, whether they like it, or not. That box was dropped but that does nothing to absolve the packing job.

highfigh

highfigh

This. ^^

You’re upset because the Styrofoam is broke? What do you think is going to happen to the Styrofoam if the box gets dropped or handled roughly?

The Styrofoam did its job and kept the amp from being damaged. Be thankful.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
What happens if it has to go back again? He'll have to wait for replacement packing.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I think you are lucky it's not covered in piss and poop! But I do hope it gives you years of good service! If you call customer support again and raise hell, maybe they will quickly fix your styrofoam!?!?
I kind of like that one. "Years of good service". Weeks maybe even months, but years, I don't think so. You get what you pay for.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
24641850610_4da97510b2_z.jpg
Back in the early 90's, that's 1990's, I purchased a Sony PCM-7010 DAT Recorder. The boxed weight was right around 60 lbs. The unit came to me direct from Sony, shipped FedX. The box was damaged and so was the unit, which BTW cost me about $3600.00. I called Sony and told them to send me another one, which they did. It too came to my door damaged. I called Sony again to have them send me another; but, they had no other to send. They asked me if I would accept an F model of the unit. This is the full featured model with about $4000.00 worth of additional digital options, like time code reader/generator, AES/EBU digital inputs/outputs, digital memory start, etc. I said sure, if there was no additional charge. They said O.K. and I said ship UPS ground, as it was obvious the other two units were dropped in the FedX process. The point of this is shipping relatively heavy boxes has some risks. Always insure for the full replacement value. A few years ago I had to send one of my PCM-7010's back to Sony for repair. I was very anxious. I double boxed the unit and requested Sony double box on return shipment. They did and all is well.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Something that heavy should have been packed far better and that cardboard, which is about as strong as a wet soda cracker, should never have been used. Some companies, like Parasound, bag and double box their larger products, including things like preamps, which aren't as heavy.
IME new Emotiva products come pretty well packed. It's been a while since I got my XPA 200 from them, but IIRC, that was double boxed and bagged. As an item sent in for repair though, I wouldn't expect Emo to spring for all new packing materials to return the amp to the customer. I know Outlaw didn't spring for a new box when I sent my 7125 in.

highfigh

highfigh

View attachment 17969 Back in the early 90's, that's 1990's, I purchased a Sony PCM-7010 DAT Recorder. The boxed weight was right around 60 lbs. The unit came to me direct from Sony, shipped FedX. The box was damaged and so was the unit, which BTW cost me about $3600.00. I called Sony and told them to send me another one, which they did. It too came to my door damaged. I called Sony again to have them send me another; but, they had no other to send. They asked me if I would accept an F model of the unit. This is the full featured model with about $4000.00 worth of additional digital options, like time code reader/generator, AES/EBU digital inputs/outputs, digital memory start, etc. I said sure, if there was no additional charge. They said O.K. and I said ship UPS ground, as it was obvious the other two units were dropped in the FedX process. The point of this is shipping relatively heavy boxes has some risks. Always insure for the full replacement value. A few years ago I had to send one of my PCM-7010's back to Sony for repair. I was very anxious. I double boxed the unit and requested Sony double box on return shipment. They did and all is well.
Was this in the US? They used Yellow Freight for larger shipments, after some point (IIRC, it was about 1983) and UPS for single items, but they usually packed their equipment pretty well. If one end is really heavy, all bets are off, IMO. I bought a Sony FM-only tuner that weighed 34 pounds and it had funky packing, but it showed up in excellent condition.

S

sterling shoote

Was this in the US? They used Yellow Freight for larger shipments, after some point (IIRC, it was about 1983) and UPS for single items, but they usually packed their equipment pretty well. If one end is really heavy, all bets are off, IMO. I bought a Sony FM-only tuner that weighed 34 pounds and it had funky packing, but it showed up in excellent condition.
Yes, unit was shipped from Sony Professional in Niles, IL to Louisville, Ky by FedX.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, unit was shipped from Sony Professional in Niles, IL to Louisville, Ky by FedX.
I have had more than enough problems with FedEx- either damaged goods or the driver made it seem that me taking a minute to get to the door was a major inconvenience.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

I have had more than enough problems with FedEx- either damaged goods or the driver made it seem that me taking a minute to get to the door was a major inconvenience.
If I'm not home the FedEx driver leaves a door tag and I end up driving to the local FedEx Distribution Center to get my delivery. UPS, or USPS will usually leave package at my door. OnTrac will usually deliver it to wrong address, or driver will steal it!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It goes to your credibility. It is clear you have an agenda, and are deceitful about revealing your own culpability. I have no reason to believe your statements or pictures about the box.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Something that heavy should have been packed far better and that cardboard, which is about as strong as a wet soda cracker, should never have been used. Some companies, like Parasound, bag and double box their larger products, including things like preamps, which aren't as heavy. The cardboard is much stronger, too. IMO, that type of cardboard is inexcusable- the little extra it costs to use something that would survive isn't worth omitting. It costs far more to deal with the aftermath.

What condition was the box before it was opened? If it had any damage to the outside, it should have been opened in the presence of the driver, whether they like it, or not. That box was dropped but that does nothing to absolve the packing job.
My Emo USP-1 and XDA-1 both arrived double-boxed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis