They don't know that they don't know.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm posting accolades this morning to most everyone here with whom I've ever shared ideas about the subjects discussed here. I am also entertained with Vinylengine, Steve Hoffman Music Forum, Tapeheads, and Audiokarma. But, it seems those sites are populated by millennials and it seems to me I do not relate to millennial thinking about this hobby. The folks here seem to be critical thinkers, not so much at the other sites. At any rate, I'm appreciating more and more each day the maturity of most folks contributing here, who can have a conversation without argument.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Good morning Sterling. That’s a very nice gesture.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm appreciating more and more each day the maturity of most folks contributing here, who can have a conversation without argument.
What I like best is that there's an expert on just about everything I suck at.
If I need to know something, this is where I come.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Nice post. I also peruse those forums as well as Stereophile but spend more of my time here. Thanks :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for that very nice post.

Let's not criticize all millennial thinking, only those that don't actually think ;).

When I feel the need for warped entertainment, I go read the Audiokarma speaker forum. Although there are some there who seem to understand things, many others seem to think any older speaker – no matter how badly it resembles a sow's ear – can be turned into a silk purse merely by replacing it's crossover capacitors. I doubt if any of those people are millennials.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I do like the general atmosphere of this group of people. On Audiokarma, I really don't find many 'millenials' so much as the FOG's who spend a lot of pennies buying up "classic" and "vintage" speakers, amps, turntables and more, only to spend countless hours trying to make them sound better. I don't have time for that and will always prefer finding bargains and discounts on new or at least late-model products that are true plug-n-play.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I do like the general atmosphere of this group of people. On Audiokarma, I really don't find many 'millenials' so much as the FOG's who spend a lot of pennies buying up "classic" and "vintage" speakers, amps, turntables and more, only to spend countless hours trying to make them sound better. I don't have time for that and will always prefer finding bargains and discounts on new or at least late-model products that are true plug-n-play.
Thou shall not disparage my B&W 801 Matrix IIs, nor my Infinity RS IIIb's (unless it's to correctly call them ugly).
Actually my McIntosh 2120 was pretty nice too despite being ancient.

I don't know why anyone buys *any* turntable; except that producers seem to have abandoned putting good recordings on good formats (CD, SACD, BD-A) in favor of vinyl. I really dislike that.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I said nothing disparaging about your speakers or amp. The "FOGs" I refer to are the ones gleaning the remaining early & low-level KLH, AR, and other brand speakers off Craigslist, changing the rotted surrounds and blown caps with fancy new stuff and declaring them better than 'new stuff'. It's most often not even as good as the current entry level stuff from Monoprice. I know because I went through it with my brother-in-law's old AR speakers and it turned out to be a complete waste of time and money. I brought him a pair of KEF Q300's and blew his mind.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm posting accolades this morning to most everyone here with whom I've ever shared ideas about the subjects discussed here. I am also entertained with Vinylengine, Steve Hoffman Music Forum, Tapeheads, and Audiokarma. But, it seems those sites are populated by millennials and it seems to me I do not relate to millennial thinking about this hobby. The folks here seem to be critical thinkers, not so much at the other sites. At any rate, I'm appreciating more and more each day the maturity of most folks contributing here, who can have a conversation without argument.
OK, boomer.

:D Just kidding!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Thou shall not disparage my B&W 801 Matrix IIs, nor my Infinity RS IIIb's (unless it's to correctly call them ugly).
Actually my McIntosh 2120 was pretty nice too despite being ancient.

I don't know why anyone buys *any* turntable; except that producers seem to have abandoned putting good recordings on good formats (CD, SACD, BD-A) in favor of vinyl. I really dislike that.
^This.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for that very nice post.

Let's not criticize all millennial thinking, only those that don't actually think ;).

When I feel the need for warped entertainment, I go read the Audiokarma speaker forum. Although there are some there who seem to understand things, many others seem to think any older speaker – no matter how badly it resembles a sow's ear – can be turned into a silk purse merely by replacing it's crossover capacitors. I doubt if any of those people are millennials.
Then, there are those who adore 1970s equipment that was seen as bad or mediocre, at best, at the time. I have basically stopped going to AudioKarma because of that.

EVERYTHING needs to be recapped! If you don' know that, well........harrumph! o_O

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Then, there are those who adore 1970s equipment that was seen as bad or mediocre, at best, at the time. I have basically stopped going to AudioKarma because of that.

EVERYTHING needs to be recapped! If you don' know that, well........harrumph! o_O
They adore 1970s audio gear because it was what they craved and couldn't afford when they were young. Now they're old and think they can purchase some lost youth. Instead they get dusty old stereo gear. Some of that was decent, but much more should be junked.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They adore 1970s audio gear because it was what they craved and couldn't afford when they were young. Now they're old and think they can purchase some lost youth. Instead they get dusty old stereo gear. Some of that was decent, but much more should be junked.
Most of them seemed younger than that.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Here's why I like vinyl - it makes me enjoy just relaxing and listening to music. If I'm sitting down at my system and streaming anything, I tend to bounce around from song to song, artist to artist, often before a song is over, simply because I can. When I listen to my TT, I have to deliberately pick an album out of my collection, put it on the TT, drop the needle and just listen. Can I skip songs, flip the record, sure, but I rarely do that. I just listen to the album as it was designed by the artist, sometimes I'll look at the cover art or read some liner notes, but I rarely do anything other than listen to the music - maybe I'll read a book. When I stream music, I tend to multi-task much more.

I also enjoy shopping for vinyl, which I almost never do online. I like walking into a record store and flipping through albums, finding a favorite or discovering something I had never heard before. I went to my local store the other day and there was a big sale on soul albums. Ended up finding a recording of Ike & Tina Turner live songs from the 1960s that is just a ton of fun to listen to.

I won't argue that vinyl has a "purer" sound or any other nonsense like that. A well-recorded CD will almost always be a better quality recording than vinyl, but I enjoy listening to vinyl more, mostly because of the process rather than the recording itself.

Make sense?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Here's why I like vinyl - it makes me enjoy just relaxing and listening to music. If I'm sitting down at my system and streaming anything, I tend to bounce around from song to song, artist to artist, often before a song is over, simply because I can. When I listen to my TT, I have to deliberately pick an album out of my collection, put it on the TT, drop the needle and just listen. Can I skip songs, flip the record, sure, but I rarely do that. I just listen to the album as it was designed by the artist, sometimes I'll look at the cover art or read some liner notes, but I rarely do anything other than listen to the music - maybe I'll read a book. When I stream music, I tend to multi-task much more.
CDs work the same way. Just smaller, better sounding, and more durable.

Though, of course, whether record stores and such treat them the same is a different issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis