They don't know that they don't know.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Here's why I like vinyl - it makes me enjoy just relaxing and listening to music. If I'm sitting down at my system and streaming anything, I tend to bounce around from song to song, artist to artist, often before a song is over, simply because I can. When I listen to my TT, I have to deliberately pick an album out of my collection, put it on the TT, drop the needle and just listen. Can I skip songs, flip the record, sure, but I rarely do that. I just listen to the album as it was designed by the artist, sometimes I'll look at the cover art or read some liner notes, but I rarely do anything other than listen to the music - maybe I'll read a book. When I stream music, I tend to multi-task much more.

I also enjoy shopping for vinyl, which I almost never do online. I like walking into a record store and flipping through albums, finding a favorite or discovering something I had never heard before. I went to my local store the other day and there was a big sale on soul albums. Ended up finding a recording of Ike & Tina Turner live songs from the 1960s that is just a ton of fun to listen to.

I won't argue that vinyl has a "purer" sound or any other nonsense like that. A well-recorded CD will almost always be a better quality recording than vinyl, but I enjoy listening to vinyl more, mostly because of the process rather than the recording itself.

Make sense?
I agree but then it's fair to assume we are not millennials and are in possession of a sizable record collection. I will not argue that superb analog takes a greater expense than digital. Although when I hear of folks spending five figures on their DACs I begin to wonder ......

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
CDs work the same way. Just smaller, better sounding, and more durable.

Though, of course, whether record stores and such treat them the same is a different issue.
Maybe, probably even. But a nice LP on a decent phono setup can be euphoric. That said my cd collection outnumbers my lp collection 3 to 1.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here's why I like vinyl - it makes me enjoy just relaxing and listening to music. If I'm sitting down at my system and streaming anything, I tend to bounce around from song to song, artist to artist, often before a song is over, simply because I can. When I listen to my TT, I have to deliberately pick an album out of my collection, put it on the TT, drop the needle and just listen. Can I skip songs, flip the record, sure, but I rarely do that. I just listen to the album as it was designed by the artist, sometimes I'll look at the cover art or read some liner notes, but I rarely do anything other than listen to the music - maybe I'll read a book. When I stream music, I tend to multi-task much more.

I also enjoy shopping for vinyl, which I almost never do online. I like walking into a record store and flipping through albums, finding a favorite or discovering something I had never heard before. I went to my local store the other day and there was a big sale on soul albums. Ended up finding a recording of Ike & Tina Turner live songs from the 1960s that is just a ton of fun to listen to.

I won't argue that vinyl has a "purer" sound or any other nonsense like that. A well-recorded CD will almost always be a better quality recording than vinyl, but I enjoy listening to vinyl more, mostly because of the process rather than the recording itself.

Make sense?
What I like to call "Ritual Syndrome!" ;) Nothing wrong with it... We all do it in some form or another...

Coffee, C@nnabis, Alcohol, going to the movies, going to your favorite restaurant, going on a date, or dating yourself... o_O
Yes... some are a little risque; much more so than spinning some vinyl! But in the end...

It is:

Ritual.

And I support it. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What a nice thread! I like it here too.

I understand the allure of vinyl and would probably have a setup if I were looking for a good place to spend a bunch of money I don't need. I really would. Like Ryan said, there's a ritual aspect to it and a certain reverence in the way you carefully handle everything. A well built turntable is a pleasure to watch in action. It appeals to the OCD in me.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
What I like to call "Ritual Syndrome!" ;) Nothing wrong with it... We all do it in some form or another...

Coffee, C@nnabis, Alcohol, going to the movies, going to your favorite restaurant, going on a date, or dating yourself... o_O
Yes... some are a little risque; much more so than spinning some vinyl! But in the end...

It is:

Ritual.

And I support it. :D
The nice thing about vinyl is that you can combine it with any of the above vices and (perhaps) increase your enjoyment of both!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Maybe, probably even. But a nice LP on a decent phono setup can be euphoric. That said my cd collection outnumbers my lp collection 3 to 1.
Mine as well. Vinyl isn’t cheap and it’s obviously not easy to store, so I’m somewhat judicious about what I invest in

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

Make sense?
Absolutely. I've been tempted to add a TT to my setup too many times to count, not in the mistaken belief that I'll be improving sound quality, but as a nod to my adolescence when I spun vinyl on the family piece o' crap record player. The whole ritual of pulling the album from the sleeve and putting it on the turntable, looking at the album cover art and reading liner notes. There's nothing like it. But, with a 600 - CD library (all ripped to FLAC), I'm not about to go back and start all over again. I'm not one to jump from track to track and rarely do so; I tend to listen to complete albums, even if it's easy to skip over tracks. The cost of new vinyl - although probably justified - is a big dissuader, too.

So, keep spinning your vinyl in good health, my friend.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
how about if you're bi-wired ?
Is that like a devil's 3-way but the chick is from Bangkok?
The cost of new vinyl
It's actually the cost of used vinyl that roped me in and then people in 'the community' helped me out with a TT and even repair parts. Low cost is how I ended up with a few hundred records and a TT I am basically setting up a system around.

I think I've bought 2 new albums since like the 70's.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Is that like a devil's 3-way but the chick is from Bangkok?

It's actually the cost of used vinyl that roped me in and then people in 'the community' helped me out with a TT and even repair parts. Low cost is how I ended up with a few hundred records and a TT I am basically setting up a system around.

I think I've bought 2 new albums since like the 70's.
Have you forgotten where I live? Although there are several used record stores in the area, the selection is pretty sparse. Anything good gets snapped up quickly.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I love Audioholic's common-sense approach. This is the Jack of all trades site. Where you can discuss objective, subjective, high-end, budget, vintage, cutting edge, the whole works... well except for extravagant cables. Those might get you a slap. :p

Audiokarma is like someone else said, obsessed with goodwill store deals and vintage gear. Fine in itself, but any questions I asked there got no replies. I quit posting after getting reamed by a long-timer when I only commented that a pair of speakers I bought over 20 years ago sold for more now than when I bought them new. The attitude was more or less "of course, dumbass!" Yeah screw that place. You'd not think people who thrive off paying $30 for equipment would be snobs, but...

Audiogon is a special case. It's the worst place on earth to go for advice. It's all snake oil over there. Magical copper discs on the wall (I really should buy a penny squasher). Magical quantum fuses. Magical cable elevators. The core philosophy is "if it costs 10x more it sounds 10x better." In their minds price and sound quality have a linear relationship and diminishing returns don't exist. So why bother? Well you skip the forums and use the classifieds! Man those guys LOVE taking huge losses selling their stuff! The best thing about the "more money than sense" crowd is that when they want the new shiny they get in a mad rush to get rid of the old shiny. You can get Bentley equipment for Kia prices on that site. So do your research on a sensible site then buy it from a millionaire retiree who just wants it out of his house.

I just recently joined Audio Science Review after lurking for over a year. That's a fun place because it's the bane of all the subjective bullsh1t sites on the internet. Nothing gets posters at head-fi, stereophile, or Reddit audiophile boards more riled up than a link to ASR. It's actually hilarious! Nothing fires up that crowd like being told "your super expensive gear is highly distorted and non-linear." The usual retort is "I don't care how it measures! It sounds better (because I took out a second mortgage for it)!"

TLDR, the internet is a funny place.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love Audioholic's common-sense approach. This is the Jack of all trades site. Where you can discuss objective, subjective, high-end, budget, vintage, cutting edge, the whole works... well except for extravagant cables. Those might get you a slap. :p

Audiokarma is like someone else said, obsessed with goodwill store deals and vintage gear. Fine in itself, but any questions I asked there got no replies. I quit posting after getting reamed by a long-timer when I only commented that a pair of speakers I bought over 20 years ago sold for more now than when I bought them new. The attitude was more or less "of course, dumbass!" Yeah screw that place. You'd not think people who thrive off paying $30 for equipment would be snobs, but...

Audiogon is a special case. It's the worst place on earth to go for advice. It's all snake oil over there. Magical copper discs on the wall (I really should buy a penny squasher). Magical quantum fuses. Magical cable elevators. The core philosophy is "if it costs 10x more it sounds 10x better." In their minds price and sound quality have a linear relationship and diminishing returns don't exist. So why bother? Well you skip the forums and use the classifieds! Man those guys LOVE taking huge losses selling their stuff! The best thing about the "more money than sense" crowd is that when they want the new shiny they get in a mad rush to get rid of the old shiny. You can get Bentley equipment for Kia prices on that site. So do your research on a sensible site then buy it from a millionaire retiree who just wants it out of his house.

I just recently joined Audio Science Review after lurking for over a year. That's a fun place because it's the bane of all the subjective bullsh1t sites on the internet. Nothing gets posters at head-fi, stereophile, or Reddit audiophile boards more riled up than a link to ASR. It's actually hilarious! Nothing fires up that crowd like being told "your super expensive gear is highly distorted and non-linear." The usual retort is "I don't care how it measures! It sounds better (because I took out a second mortgage for it)!"

You just gave me some entertaining ideas next time I'm bored with nothing to do...

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic

And then there's this guy trying to sell a 2m digital coax cable for $7k! It does come with a leather bag, however (not sure why you'd want a bag for a cable that presumably doesn't move around...)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
And then there's this guy trying to sell a 2m digital coax cable for $7k! It does come with a leather bag, however (not sure why you'd want a bag for a cable that presumably doesn't move around...)

That's what I mean... the MSRP was 19,000 dollars! (bill of materials probably 15 bucks :rolleyes:). Poor dude probably got a "bargain" price of $10,000 and is selling it for "only" $7k because there's probably a new $30k version out with 50% more "air, sibilance, and PRAT."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis