The Truth vs Hype about Expensive HDMI Cables

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I do agree no doubt that the prices of high quality is outrageous!

But what I am speaking to is the idea that the "quality", in this case audio and video resolution or fidelity and so that which is more "real", is not always something that can be measured.

Just because fidelity can't entirely be measured with devices, does not mean the senses of hearing and seeing are not valid measures of high quality audio and video reproduction. Add to that, that the aesthetics in general or even aspects of physics can be known but can't be explained fully. Discovering something new, unexpected or not what one wants to perceive, is exciting. That is one thing that makes audio and video playback so much fun. I love it! To share why it is so much fun for me or tell nudge someone who shares my interest in the subject is what being a member of forums like this are about.

The fact is, anyone with normal hearing and an adequate attention plan, who is not keeping a good dose of envy or malice secretly packed in their back pocket, they can and will see and hear a difference in a high end cable. Giving those senses more weight in the audio and video experience is absolutely worthwhile.
Specs in the form of numbers and manufacturers theories or descriptions about their products notwithstanding, are just part of the picture. One should rely on their senses in the end.. Yeah..because,
my eyes, ears, and observation and critical thinking skills are all that I am left with. They are real, not abstract like specs.
A properly set up DBT eliminates bias and it's up to the participants to pick which they like best based on actual listening. Participants can't consistently pick the same cable because there is no difference. These tests have been done more than once with rooms of self professed "golden ears" who can hear things the rest of us can't.

O

Observe

Enthusiast
How did you discover what cut of beef you liked best? That's all I am saying about audio and video cables (and other components of course). Try it. And give it a try many times. The more experience the best able to discover what something is and your preferences in this big world.

I don't think anyone who hasn't had an exquisite cut of filet mignon grilled to perfection, medium rare, can have a helpful opinion about filet mignon. Do you, NINaudio,? (and yes, I am getting really really hungry!!)

O

Observe

Enthusiast
Your observations, listening and seeing, are in the end the most important factors compared to specs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I can promise you if I switch to the most expensive hdmi cable my ISF calibrated displays would not yeild any additional video performance, and it can be measured. If you want better video buy a better display, want better audio buy better speakers. Anyone pedaling any other nonsense is either a troll or truly uneducated about both.

Belief is the important word that's used there. I am speaking of "rational", deliberate, analytical component in observation. Practicing observing aural or visual differences, like anything else, from plumbing to cooking, requires a set of techniques, vocabulary, and accumulated observations. The better practiced a person is at noticing things that happen in the sound and vision experience, the better the judgements about what the differences are and what makes them so.

Belief is different from preferences. Audio and visual awareness and critical thinking are acquired things.
Getting better at those things is not a bad thing. Knowing the difference between things is a developed ability, provided the acuity it there of course. Anything I have ever done, from furniture making to engineering music to gardening, has gotten better by practice. Who's against practice or getting better at something? (!)

Don't take this personally. This is just so. Cables that cost more than the $3 or $12 cable, and at a wild amount more than that, e.g. Audioquest Vodka or even Cinamon HDMI, are not make believe prices. They charge so much because they are that much better. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to make a high end cable, so many many hours and much experience is required. Blue Jeans or other higher price cables do not
have the expertise of the upper end of cable makers like Audioquest, Synergistic Research, Wireworld and others.

O

Observe

Enthusiast
Learning and educating yourself is not a bad thing to do.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your observations, listening and seeing, are in the end the most important factors compared to specs.
Exactly. This is how we're able to tell there is no difference.

By listening. And even if it were true, why would I go through all of the training a golden eared padawan has to endure just to learn how to buy ridiculously overpriced hocus pocus? I'll bet you a dozen donuts you wouldn't be able to pick the difference between My cables and yours in a dbt.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
But what I am speaking to is the idea that the "quality", in this case audio and video resolution or fidelity and so that which is more "real", is not always something that can be measured.
This is absolute drivel, and you are a marketer's dream. "How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again!" -- Mark Twain, Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 2

O

Observe

Enthusiast
Whomever wants to remain ignorant, please raise your hand. That thing on the end of your arm.

It is just believe what they read and leave it at that, is missing out. Learning can be a good thing.
Experts are often speaking theoretically. When it comes to watching a movie or listening to your favorite music, who should be the expert to tell you different than what your senses told you? You like video playback, but maybe don't want to spend money on certain components. That does not mean that those components or not worth having.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Whomever wants to remain ignorant, please raise your hand. That thing on the end of your arm.

It is just believe what they read and leave it at that, is missing out. Learning can be a good thing.
Experts are often speaking theoretically. When it comes to watching a movie or listening to your favorite music, who should be the expert to tell you different than what your senses told you? You like video playback, but maybe don't want to spend money on certain components. That does not mean that those components or not worth having.
Believe what you want to believe. Just don't expect any of us who demand quantifiable proof to agree with you. If you're looking for validation, you're in the wrong place. If you're looking to convince anyone of your mysticism, you're in the wrong place. Basically, you're in the wrong place. I suggest the Polk Audio forums? I hear they have a solid following of snake oil advocates.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Clearly, you don't understand sound reproduction and judging from the increasing ridiculousness of your replies, you've either had way too much kool aid or you're trolling.

It's not my money, have fun with your cables. Maybe you should call the psychic hotline to get some more help determining which are right for your system. I hear it's legit.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
If the cable / satdish provider cannot deliver a HD signal I see little point in expensive HDMI cable interconnect between the cable box and AVR / TV.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm a staunch believer in buying good cables no matter in what application they are being used, that's why my entire system both audio/video is comprised of BJC, it's the only cable stock I know of that's made here in the United States, Belden in Kentucky. $40 for an HDMI cable is a bit high but to my ears and eyes it's worth it.
What's the country of origin of Audioquest cables, I can't even pronounce the exotic materials used in their manufacturing process, I'm sure it's worth the price though:D

O

Observe

Enthusiast
If you like video and audio playback, a lot, try upgrading your hdmi cable first. If you can detect an improvement, try an ethernet upgrade.

Same, but even more, goes for audio playback.

I'm done here, will go and grill a nice filet and then watch an AudioQuest HDMI cables video system and really really really enjoy it.

thanks for the replies. best regards.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I see you created a new username for yourself. There can't possibly be two of you...

I know that you think you see a difference, but if you do then your original cable was broken. Digital signals either get where they're going or don't. Cable either works, or it doesn't.

Did you buy expensive cat6 cables and notice your internet got faster and had more feeling? No? Then why would you think an HDMI cable that are all constructed the same way (because it is a standardized cable type like cat6) would somehow be different?

Show me an EE that subscribes to the notion that exotic cables matter (and doesn't or hasn't worked for one of those companies) and can make a TECHNICAL arguement as to why they could be better and I MIGHT consider thinking about maybe taking it seriously.

O

Observe

Enthusiast
the Audioquest cables are made in California. I have used a lot of cables over 40 years, mostly audio cables. I always purchase the high end cables used as they are more affordable. I mention Audioquest as they are like Synergistic Research one of the most innovative designers of cables and are at the forefront in the video cable arena. They know what they are doing.

I only recently tried HDMI and even ethernet RJ/E type cables and was floored at how much they improved the video playback on my system. I would not be without them. I highly value audio and video. I write, mix, and engineer my own music. It is an expensive thing, having great cables, but I figured out that that is much appreciated by me and my spouse.

O

Observe

Enthusiast
The point is, try a cable upgrade, hdmi first and most importantly (and more affordable).

If one has normal hearing and vision, and one takes the time to live with the cable for a while, switch back to the cheap or highly regarded cheaper cable, and the difference will be unmistakable.

Your hearing and vision will prove or disprove the benefits of the cable to your system.
Reading about hifi or better video playback is just reading. The proof is in the pudding!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis