The Truth vs Hype about Expensive HDMI Cables

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Anybody have any comments on the Monoprice ultra thin high performance Redmere HDMI cables. I've used nothing but BJC for every cable in my setup be it video or audio, I just noticed the Redmere series are half the price of the BJCs and I need at least three to four new 15' HDMI cables soon and was considering the Monoprice HDMIs. Thanks guys.
Cheers Jeff
I and a few other guys have them and we all think they're excellent. Need more than that?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I and a few other guys have them and we all think they're excellent. Need more than that?
I'm one of those guys. I've only used six-footers (so, not the 15-foot ones that you're looking at), but I do indeed think that they are excellent.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have one of the 50fters and it has worked flawlessly for me.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Anybody have any comments on the Monoprice ultra thin high performance Redmere HDMI cables. I've used nothing but BJC for every cable in my setup be it video or audio, I just noticed the Redmere series are half the price of the BJCs and I need at least three to four new 15' HDMI cables soon and was considering the Monoprice HDMIs. Thanks guys.
Cheers Jeff
Per the video, I have a 50' redmere to my projector. At 15', if you want a thinner cable, go for it. Otherwise, stick with a traditional, passive cable.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
How could I need more than that endorsement, Alex, Adam and Marshall :D
Thanks guys, I didn't even realize these were active cables, doesn't that present more failure problems? I have a lot of the BJC FE series in various lengths, could I use the BJC female to female HDMI couplers to get the fifteen foot lengths that I need or will there be signal loses with these couplers? Come to think of it the couplers are $8 a piece, I guess I'm better off just getting the slim (not ultra) Redmere cables and be done with it. OK, I'm rambling, time to shut up and just get the monoprice cables especially since my idols all use them;)
Cheers my friends, Jeff

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
How could I need more than that endorsement, Alex, Adam and Marshall :D
Thanks guys, I didn't even realize these were active cables, doesn't that present more failure problems? I have a lot of the BJC FE series in various lengths, could I use the BJC female to female HDMI couplers to get the fifteen foot lengths that I need or will there be signal loses with these couplers? Come to think of it the couplers are $8 a piece, I guess I'm better off just getting the slim (not ultra) Redmere cables and be done with it. OK, I'm rambling, time to shut up and just get the monoprice cables especially since my idols all use them;)
Cheers my friends, Jeff
I own both and you can't go wrong either way but I would still go with BJC's for lengths shorter than 15'; for the price savings though the RedMere is a good choice. I have the 2 Monoprice 25 foot RedMere's in my Winter Quarters and to date I'm very satisfied, with the only setback being that it's a one-way signal transmission.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I own both and you can't go wrong either way but I would still go with BJC's for lengths shorter than 15'; for the price savings though the RedMere is a good choice. I have the 2 Monoprice 25 foot RedMere's in my Winter Quarters and to date I'm very satisfied, with the only setback being that it's a one-way signal transmission.
Thanks, every cable in my setup is a BJC, I'm moving some stuff to accommodate a new TV and I need 3 15' feet HDMI cables, the Redmeres are $22 a piece the BJC are $40 +, I don't care about the one way, I don't use the ARC anyway.
Cheers Jeff

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've commented on this before but I love how thin the redmere cables are. Just keep in mind that they are directional and will not work if you have them backwards.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I've commented on this before but I love how thin the redmere cables are. Just keep in mind that they are directional and will not work if you have them backwards.
Thanks phillip, I found that out with some reading on them, is there much of a difference between the slim and ultra slim? I've never used an active HDMI cable before and didn't know they existed. :eek:
Jeff

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

You might also consider BJC tartan line. For the visible HDMI distortion you see the the video, I had to couple 4x15' (60' total) before I got dropouts. At 15', they are more than solid.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I own 6 & 10 ft and installed a 50 for a customer.. As long as there's no intermediate connections (wall plate ), you're fine. We had some audio dropouts when using a wall plate and ended up going with point to point wiring and it works great.
ymmv.
Cheers, Mac

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I own 6 & 10 ft and installed a 50 for a customer.. As long as there's no intermediate connections (wall plate ), you're fine. We had some audio dropouts when using a wall plate and ended up going with point to point wiring and it works great.
ymmv.
Cheers, Mac
My 50' redmere was also point to point. I can try a coupler, if that makes a difference for you.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks phillip, I found that out with some reading on them, is there much of a difference between the slim and ultra slim? I've never used an active HDMI cable before and didn't know they existed. :eek:
Jeff
I'm not sure how much thinner the ultra slim is when compared to the regular slim, but I'm betting even the regular slim is much easier to route/work with than typical thick cables. I've got the ultra slim ones though.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure how much thinner the ultra slim is when compared to the regular slim, but I'm betting even the regular slim is much easier to route/work with than typical thick cables. I've got the ultra slim ones though.
I misspoke before. I ordered 2 "15 foot", not 25 feet ... they don't even exist, as far as I know. The longest length from Monoprice sold is 15 feet. I ordered the Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - Black and it was so easy to route thru the cable management system with the three 90 degree turns I had to make compared to the BJC, which are much more stiff and rigid.
15ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - Black - Monoprice.com

Sorry guys.

Fred Johnson

Fred Johnson

Audiophyte
Can we use HDMI Cables to use TV Screen as Monitor

Can we use these HDMI Cables to use TV Screen as monitor for our computer system. If yes, then which HDMI Cable should we use for better output? I have checked some cables from Buy High Speed HDMI Cables - Mini, Micro, Swivel Online. Which one should I buy that would provide both display and voice through TV Speakers?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Can we use these HDMI Cables to use TV Screen as monitor for our computer system. If yes, then which HDMI Cable should we use for better output? I have checked some cables from Buy High Speed HDMI Cables - Mini, Micro, Swivel Online. Which one should I buy that would provide both display and voice through TV Speakers?
You should watch the video, but the answer is, any of them. I'd stick with something simple from monoprice or tartan, assuming you dont need a run over 15 feet.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone considering Redmere should read through this thread which gets a bit more technical about Redmere:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/89140-peculiar-new-issue-maybe-hdmi-related.html

While Redmere is awesome for most, in most situations, nobody should run that as a primary cable behind drywall without retro access. While it is fire rated, it is not rated by a standard which the NEC recognizes as well. Not that this matters to most people. The bigger issue is the active nature of the cable. There are actual electronics in there which are susceptible to failures, rendering the cable useless. Reading reviews on Monoprice will show that a small percentage has run into this issue. As well, not all HDMI sources provide enough voltage to properly work with the cables. This is especially true of older sources which didn't have the robust power supplies which newer HDMI product tends to have.

I put up a review of the Parts Express Super Slim HDMI cables which are a great passive option for runs of 6' or less.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/write-your-own-review/86559-review-parts-express-super-slim-hdmi-cables.html

But for longer runs, if retro access is not going to be possible, then stick with quality passive HDMI cables whether it be from Monoprice, BJC, or somewhere else.
Also ALWAYS run cat-5e or cat-6 so that if the HDMI cable does run into issues, or if it is replaced with newer technology (it will be), then the cat cable should allow for a external balun to be utilized, such as HDBaseT.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Good info, thank you. I haven't had any problems, and I hope I never do, but I did run Cat6 as well.

Anyone considering Redmere should read through this thread which gets a bit more technical about Redmere:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/89140-peculiar-new-issue-maybe-hdmi-related.html

While Redmere is awesome for most, in most situations, nobody should run that as a primary cable behind drywall without retro access. While it is fire rated, it is not rated by a standard which the NEC recognizes as well. Not that this matters to most people. The bigger issue is the active nature of the cable. There are actual electronics in there which are susceptible to failures, rendering the cable useless. Reading reviews on Monoprice will show that a small percentage has run into this issue. As well, not all HDMI sources provide enough voltage to properly work with the cables. This is especially true of older sources which didn't have the robust power supplies which newer HDMI product tends to have.

I put up a review of the Parts Express Super Slim HDMI cables which are a great passive option for runs of 6' or less.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/write-your-own-review/86559-review-parts-express-super-slim-hdmi-cables.html

But for longer runs, if retro access is not going to be possible, then stick with quality passive HDMI cables whether it be from Monoprice, BJC, or somewhere else.
Also ALWAYS run cat-5e or cat-6 so that if the HDMI cable does run into issues, or if it is replaced with newer technology (it will be), then the cat cable should allow for a external balun to be utilized, such as HDBaseT.

O

Observe

Enthusiast
High end cables of any kind, from Audioquest or Synergistic Research for example, absolutely make noticeable improvements in audio and video. One should buy what ever one's wallet and sound/video values permit. People that say high end cables make no difference have poor listening skills or hearing and/or have never heard these type of cables.

Having eyes and ears, and the other two senses too, does not make a person observant. Being able to eat food, or hear sound, or see does not instantly make a person observant. Practice makes perfect. Observing the details and changes that happen over time with audio and video hones the skills needed to appreciate what high end cable manufacturers create. They know what they are doing!

If you have good listening and viewing skills and so can see and hear differences in video and audio reproductions, then try the Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI. It will please you as you watch and/ or listen to your system. If you can afford the Vodka HDMI cable, by all means get it.

If your visual or audio observation skills are poor, then a better reproduction of video or audio will be difficult, and probably unimportant to you, so don't even read about better cables.

I am using the Diamond HDMI cable. It was like getting an upgrade on my top of the line Sony displays. Brighter, better contrast, blacks, more 3D, transparency, etc. Overall, these changes, with the Audioquest HDMI upgrade was very natural. I found the Wireworld cables overly etched and not natural the way they changed the images and audio. Audioquest hdmi is better for my taste. The changes were remarkable.

Give it a try.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis