The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
P

pharaon

Enthusiast
The pre out voltage you need would depend mainly on:
- your seating distance
- speaker's sensitivity spec
- power amplifier gain
- the spl you listen to, and the max peak spl you listen to
- 3 meters
- 92.5dB@8ohm (2.83V / 1m)
- 26dB (Micromega)
- 85dB average/105dB peak (those are levels I’ve heard those major differences between Rotel vs Micromega

Shouldn’t it be that Micromega being twice as powerful than Rotel (200wpc@8ohm vs 100wpc@8ohm) would need less power to reach the same dB levels? Because now the difference on Denon is just -2.0dB (-10db vs -8.0db). Something’s not right hereo_O

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So what about a 11.2 Channel AVR like Denon 6700 or Marantz 8012 if I want 7.1.4 setup mainly 95% movies?
I am not a tech savy guy to start futsing with dual setups but if easy enough to setup, what Amp/AVR combo would be good to drive all SVS Ultra speakers and Pinnacle Towers around to 2-2500 price mark??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So what about a 11.2 Channel AVR like Denon 6700 or Marantz 8012 if I want 7.1.4 setup mainly 95% movies?
I am not a tech savy guy to start futsing with dual setups but if easy enough to setup, what Amp/AVR combo would be good to drive all SVS Ultra speakers and Pinnacle Towers around to 2-2500 price mark??
A high-end 11Ch Amp AVR has enough power to power most 11 speakers.

There is usually no NEED to add an external amp if your AVR already has enough channels of amps (11Ch) for your 11 speakers.

Most experts would recommend that you set all your speakers to small and let your four subwoofers handle the bass.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
A high-end 11Ch Amp AVR has enough power to power most 11 speakers.

There is usually no NEED to add an external amp if your AVR already has enough channels of amps (11Ch) for your 11 speakers.

Most experts would recommend that you set all your speakers to small and let your four subwoofers handle the bass.
Got it
Yes I’m more inclined to go 11.2 AVR so I don’t need to deal with separate and whether I get a hum noise or if it’s not compatible with AVR

Plus I can always add a separate later if I feel the one AVR is lacking I guess

How you all like the SR8012 or the Denon 6700

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Got it
Yes I’m more inclined to go 11.2 AVR so I don’t need to deal with separate and whether I get a hum noise or if it’s not compatible with AVR

Plus I can always add a separate later if I feel the one AVR is lacking I guess

How you all like the SR8012 or the Denon 6700
Probably the Denon 6700 since the price is less than the Marantz. You're not going to hear a difference in sound quality.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey! Dan isn't around AH these days. He and I texted each other a few days ago. Not about any kind of HOLES, of course! :eek: :D
Tell him I still owe him a beer once we can actually hang out. Hope he's doing OK.

M

mj30250

Audioholic Intern
This is probably both an overly-simplistic question as well as a paradoxically controversial / complex one, but how is one to be reasonably confident that they wouldn't benefit from an external amp by ear alone - the obvious answer of "try one and see!" aside?

From a pure sound quality perspective, if using an AVR at your maximum listening levels results in:

No audible distortion
No audible clipping
No overabundance of heat / shutdowns from the AVR

Can you be fairly assured that you're not "leaving performance on the table"? Or are there other factors that might weigh into it? Speaker reviews often state things like "these are tough to drive, so make sure you have a dedicated amp with plenty of power on tap!". If you're hitting all of the above points with an AVR with no issues, is that really the case anymore?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
He’s been jamming in SA with his new RBH speakers and SV-1212R Reference subs. :D
Andrew! One month today all's good with My RX-V6A. Can't thank You enough for the awesome deal You hooked me up with. Thanks Broski cheese slice! ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, thought maybe one of you guys knew where he'd gone. He was enjoying his new speakers and then disappeared. :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis