The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So..............Your conclusion is that your Arcam AVR makes the bass Faster, Snappier, and Deeper, and the overall sound is Louder?

The sound from a dedicated separate Amp from Anthem makes the bass Slower, less Snappy, less Deep, and the overall sound is Quieter?
What if I told you I had done similar comparisons of those and found the opposite was true? Go ahead and ignore me, I would be fine with that if you do.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What if I told you I had done similar comparisons of those and found the opposite was true? Go ahead and ignore me, I would be fine with that if you do.
Well, I would expect a lot more from you. I mean, don't hold back anything now.

In addition to the speed and snappiness of the woofers, what about the Sweetness, Airiness, and Chocolatey amounts? Let's get serious here (Serious Face Emoticon).

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

In addition to the speed and snappiness of the woofers, what about the Sweetness, Airiness, and Chocolatey amounts? Let's get serious here (Serious Face Emoticon).
Nothing beats roadhouse punching, snap crackle popping, deep dark chocolatey with a hint of salty air sound coming from your speakers.

I'm guessing if you heard that from your amp or AVR you might need to grab the fire extinguisher.....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I use 3 outboard amps with my Yamaha for the center, front mains and side surrounds and use the amps in the Yamaha for the rear surround and front heights . But what I’d like to know does useing the preouts disconnect the on board amps in the Yamaha .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Haagen dazs kind of sound is what I like most, seriously. Just warm or cool are too vague, 23 deg C in my HT room is way too warm for me, but it could be cool to someone else.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG - Which amps do you use and in what configuration? Thanks!
7.1.4 configuration, 5 subs in total. Anthem MCA amp for FL, FR, Outlaw M2200 center, and Marantz for the other 8 channels. For my need, the Denon could have done it all but got the amps anyway from when I was using the Marantz prepros, so may as well keep using them. Too much work to put them put back in the box, let alone trying to sell them.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Haagen dazs kind of sound is what I like most, seriously. Just warm or cool are too vague, 23 deg C in my HT room is way too warm for me, but it could be cool to someone else.:D
73 degrees Fahrenheit for us Americans. Not a bad temp.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haagen-Dazs ice cream sound flavor? Please! Overrated.

I prefer Fatboy ice cream sound flavor. Sounds just as Crisp and delicious at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
7.1.4 configuration, 5 subs in total. Anthem MCA amp for FL, FR, Outlaw M2200 center, and Marantz for the other 8 channels. For my need, the Denon could have done it all but got the amps anyway from when I was using the Marantz prepros, so may as well keep using them. Too much work to put them put back in the box, let alone trying to sell them.
I ordered the Monoprice 7X on Friday and they charged my card but did not ship. I sent an email asking why they charged my card if they were not shipping yet. An hour later I got an email that they are shipping the 110lb package overnight. Who sends out 110lbs overnight? lol

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered the Monoprice 7X on Friday and they charged my card but did not ship. I sent an email asking why they charged my card if they were not shipping yet. An hour later I got an email that they are shipping the 110lb package overnight. Who sends out 110lbs overnight? lol
Yeah they are heavy and one reason why it's not my choice, but if they don't mind the weight then it is not a factor for you.:)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, they shipped it to you overnight because you inquired since they debited your card. Had you not sent the email, they probably would have shipped later during daytime and you might have waited longer to get it, who knows. :) By the way, you made a good decision as it is a damn good product considering the cost.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah they are heavy and one reason why it's not my choice, but if they don't mind the weight then it is not a factor for you.:)
Yeah, I prefer lighter weight amps also. Like around 50 lbs or less. :D

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
No seriously, my Emo amp makes my Bose speakers sound better than KEF Muon, Focal Grande Utopia, and all the speakers. :D
Staying in the same price range. Nothing wrong with Emotiva Amps. Monoprice. Outlaw. All are comprable

R

Roninov

Audiophyte
So..............Your conclusion is that your Arcam AVR makes the bass Faster, Snappier, and Deeper, and the overall sound is Louder?

The sound from a dedicated separate Amp from Anthem makes the bass Slower, less Snappy, less Deep, and the overall sound is Quieter?
Yes, this conclusion is about my Anthem amplifier, perhaps it has some defects (I don't know if some capacitors or something like that can dry out over time and affect the sound , after all, the amplifier is several years old, I think about 10, but using only half year)
But maybe everything is all OK with amp, and I did several A\B comparisons, of course adjusting the difference in level volume. But the difference on the test tracks in voice and instruments is very clear. If I still had a Yamaha RX-A1080, I would have made a few more comparisons, then the picture would have been clearer.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
What does't kill you makes you stronger! :cool:
I imagine those five subs in your theatre have a little weight too.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What does't kill you makes you stronger! :cool:
I imagine those five subs in your theatre have a little weight tool.
Well, seriously, better be 100% careful with your BACK. Because that is something that will absolutely NOT make you stronger!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Well, seriously, better be 100% careful with your BACK. Because that is something that will absolutely NOT make you stronger!
True that! I use dolly and back support.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
Looks like my Marantz AV7705 order is being delayed/canceled and I need to find a replacement.

Is there a bigger/wider view of this:

1602787679921.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis