The Professional (Pro) Amplifier Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think everything deserves an owner's thread, including pro amps.

A few weeks ago I tried out the Crown XLS 1002 Amp. It was pretty good. But I returned it to Amazon and wanted to continue trying other Pro amps. :D

So I just ordered the Behringer KM750 200x2 (8 ohms), 400x2 (4-ohm) Pro Amp from Amazon.

This is a photoshop picture of a set of 5 amps stacked to show what it could look like. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Those Behringer amps look better than several of the Crown ones. How about the audio performance? I guess that you haven't received the KM750 as yet and that's why you don't mention about it?

Cheers,

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
U might want to check out the QSC amplifiers...
We have been using these in place of the Crown amplifiers, to my ears they sound good with multiple power choices. I don't like the Behringer products too many field failures..

Just my $0.02... ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
U might want to check out the QSC amplifiers...
We have been using these in place of the Crown amplifiers, to my ears they sound good with multiple power choices. I don't like the Behringer products too many field failures..

Just my $0.02... ;)
$ 1 5 0

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Among the several of the advantages on the QSC amps are: 1. Better specs and reliability
2. You can't blow them up
Both the RMX and the DCA Series are excellent for home audio. They both feature Class AB operation.
The DCA Series ones have quieter fans and are the ones used in most if not all Cineplex theaters across North America. See my thread on the DCA 1222:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/qsc-dca-1222-digital-cinema-amplifier.107647/

An old post with the meat of a review on the QSC DCA 1222 (See Post #317):

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ati-at2000-amps.79274/page-16#post-885363

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Among the several of the advantages on the QSC amps are: 1. Better specs and reliability
2. You can't blow them
Both the RMX and the DCA Series are excellent for home audio. They both feature Class AB operation.
The DCA Series ones have quieter fans and are the ones used in most if not all Cineplex theaters across North America. See my thread on the DCA 1222:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/qsc-dca-1222-digital-cinema-amplifier.107647/

An old post with the meat of a review on the QSC DCA 1222 (See Post #317):

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ati-at2000-amps.79274/page-16#post-885363
I don't disagree with you. I've seen QSC vs Crown XLS measurements and QSC are much better, but jeez $150 for 2x200 8ohm amp. it even has consumer type connections

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don't disagree with you. I've seen QSC vs Crown XLS measurements and QSC are much better, but jeez $150 for 2x200 8ohm amp. it even has consumer type connections
The DCA line costs over 5 times the price of some of the Crown XLS amps. They are made in the USA.
I have been using DCA 1222s for one year now. I wouldn't use anything else. They are as acoustically transparent as any amplifier on the market.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those Behringer amps look better than several of the Crown ones. How about the audio performance? I guess that you haven't received the KM750 as yet and that's why you don't mention about it?

Cheers,
Yep. Just placed the order on Amazon. I never gave Behringer a thought. But since these look really nice and are so cheap, I thought I'd give them a try. :D

I do think they look better than the XLS amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Cons seem to be
1) Behringer is probably not as reliable as QSC, Crown, Yamaha?
2) I can't find any specs (SNR, FR, THD, XTalk).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
This is a wonderful thread. But I can't help but wonder if these pro amps will be able to create a "whole new zenith of sound quality"? The real expensive audiophile amps claim they do. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Personally, I wouldn't touch any Behringer product. I had a bad experience with a DEQ2496. Very poor customer service.
I had brought it to an authorized repair shop which did not fix it. I spent time with several emails with the group that handles customer service. It took over 3 months to receive a new replacement. I sold the replacement afterwards to a professional studio owner.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This is a wonderful thread. But I can't help but wonder if these pro amps will be able to create a "whole new zenith of sound quality"? The real expensive audiophile amps claim they do. :D
The pro amp manufacturers have created that Zenith of sound quality for more than 50 years!

As for the expensive audiophile product manufacturers, you can't trust them. It's the usual marketing bullshit. :D

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’m currently using a 1990s era RAMSA WP-9220 to power my subwoofers.

Thirty-two pounds of vintage high-end, pro audio goodness with understated looks.

Under-rated at 300 W @ 4 ohms (it’s had no problem keeping up with the Carvin DCM-1540L I was previously using that was rated at 750 W @ 4 ohms).

True Class A on first 20 watts of its power band. I’ve never used it full-range, but some say it sounds as good as so-called audiophile amplifiers that sold for many times its price (over $900 in 1990, or nearly $1800 today).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There is an old AVS thread where someone would measure actual wattage output of amps. They were pretty much for subs, but the results were interesting. Behringer was one brand that almost always performed UNDER their rated output. Keep in mind this was years ago so that could have changed.

I personally don't buy their products just because of how many failures I dealt with working at Guitar Center. That didn't happen with Crown or QSC. Having said that, these amps were used for mobile concerts so they got used the way a pro amp gets used. In a home setting I'd think you'd see a much lower failure rate. My main concern would be what the amp really puts out vs what it's rated for.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Thirty-two pounds of vintage high-end, pro audio goodness with understated looks.

Under-rated at 300 W @ 4 ohms (it’s had no problem keeping up with the Carvin DCM-1540L I was previously using that was rated at 750 W @ 4 ohms).

True Class A on first 20 watts of its power band. I’ve never used it full-range, but some say it sounds as good as so-called audiophile amplifiers that sold for many times its price (over $900 in 1990, or nearly $1800 today).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
It also looks better than the Crown amps! :)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
It looks like it's in good shape. Beautiful amp.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
The pro amp manufacturers have created that Zenith of sound quality for more than 50 years!

As for the audiophile product manufacturers, you can't trust them. It's the usual marketing bullshit. :D
Amen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis