The Professional (Pro) Amplifier Owner's Thread

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, if they're not as affordable, then I would rather just get something like the Monolith 200x5 XLR amp for $1299. :D

I think I like the Crown XLS 1002 Class-D amps the best. They need to replace that weird trigger with the standard 12V trigger. Let's hope that will happen with the future XLS 1003 amps. :D
Other ways to do that without going with a consumer amp :) I'd rather not give up the 6dB snr spec for the few $ involved...and that isn't that hard a trigger to deal with. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The RMX Series as well. PENG likes his RMX850a. I almost bought some but decided to go for the DCA 1222 instead. Main reason was the depth of the RMX at over 16 inches which would have protruded from my equipment console. The 850a otherwise has excellent specs and operates in Class AB with a conventional power supply. A very rugged amp indeed.:)
It should be noted that the RMX does have a noisy fan which most people would want to replace.
It is a very well made amp, but I think we should make sure people understand if there is a known issue like this!
I believe some of their higher level units have quiet fans, but not the inexpensive (for class A/B) RMX series.
I think I paid about $12 for a fan which reduced the noise to acceptable levels (you can still hear it in a perfectly quiet room) that would not catch your attention under normal listening.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It should be noted that the RMX does have a noisy fan which most people would want to replace.
It is a very well made amp, but I think we should make sure people understand if there is a known issue like this!
I believe some of their higher level units have quiet fans, but not the inexpensive (for class A/B) RMX series.
I think I paid about $12 for a fan which reduced the noise to acceptable levels (you can still hear it in a perfectly quiet room) that would not catch your attention under normal listening.
Don't forget that this RMX amp series was designed for moving around and public performances, where any fan noise is unnoticed because of surrounding background noises in public venues. :)

Cheers,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not a "known issue". It's a pro amp where fan noise may or may not be suitable for consumer use. I have a Crest amp that's very loud, but it's not a "known Issue", it's simply a commercial amp not meant to be located in a listening room.... :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Don't forget that this RMX amp series was designed for moving around and public performances, where any fan noise will be left unnoticed because of surrounding background noises in public venues. :)

Cheers,
It's not a "known issue". It's a pro amp where fan noise may or may not be suitable for consumer use. I have a Crest amp that's very loud, but it's not a "known Issue", it's simply a commercial amp not meant to be located in a listening room.... :)
I understand, but we are discussing these as alternatives to consumer amps.
I know the Yamaha P3500S (and that series) have never made any fan noise that I have noticed, so it is not a given that a commercial amp would have a noisy fan!

I don't want someone (who might not have any experience with pro amps) to read this and buy a QSC RMX850 (without anticipating a fan mod). I knew I would want to mod mine, but got it used for $150, so it was not an issue for me.

lovinthehd, do you ever hear the fan from your Crowns? From what I have read it is very quiet and I believe that is one of the reasons they are so popular for home audio!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know the Yamaha P3500S (and that series) have never made any fan noise that I have noticed, so it is not a given that a commercial amp would have a noisy fan!

I don't want someone (who might not have any experience with pro amps) to read this and buy a QSC RMX850 (without anticipating a fan mod). I kneew I would want to mod mine, but got it used for $150, so it was not an issue for me.

lovinthehd, do you ever hear the fan from your Crowns? From what I have read it is very quiet and I believe that is one of the reasons they are so popular for home audio!
I get it. Just an amp for the application, if you have a gear closet fan noise isn't a "known issue" :). No, the XLS fans I've not ever noticed, even with my ears down near the amps, and I do use those in listening rooms (I've heard many noisier disc players). Fan mods void warranty, so sometimes just better to get an amp for your purposes, too. Just say the fan has noticeable noise. Many pro amps do.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I don't want someone (who might not have any experience with pro amps) to read this and buy a QSC RMX850 (without anticipating a fan mod). I kneew I would want to mod mine, but got it used for $150, so it was not an issue for me.

Of course, the situation with the fan noise is most likely irrelevant if the listening position is 12 feet or more away from a RMX amp.

Cheers,

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I get it. Just an amp for the application, if you have a gear closet fan noise isn't a "known issue" :). No, the XLS fans I've not ever noticed, even with my ears down near the amps, and I do use those in listening rooms (I've heard many noisier disc players). Fan mods void warranty, so sometimes just better to get an amp for your purposes, too. Just say the fan has noticeable noise. Many pro amps do.
The QSC RMX is worse than most in this regard. The replacement I installed is noticeable, but on the quiet side of noticeable. The stock fan in the RMX is well on the loud side of normal. I'd consider the noise from my laptop fan typical.
I installed a NMB 3110SB-05W-B20 which cost $7 (I think $12 after shipping) which was much better!

Mine was used, so it is possible it was damaged, but PENG had warned me it would be loud.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The QSC RMX is worse than most in this regard. The replacement I installed is noticeable, but on the quiet side of noticeable. The stock fan in the RMX is well on the loud side of normal. I'd consider the noise from my laptop fan typical.
I installed a NMB 3110SB-05W-B20 which cost $7 (I think $12 after shipping) which was much better!

Mine was used, so it is possible it was damaged, but PENG had warned me it would be loud.
I seriously doubt it is as loud as the Crest CM2208 I have :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I was curious about the specs on that fan. According to info provided on the Mouser Canada website, that fan works with a fixed DC voltage of 24 volts. But the RMX fan circuit supplies a varied voltage to the cooling fan depending on the heat generated within the chassis. With the published fan specs, I suspect that the fan which you installed may not be appropriate for the RMX850. If the voltage provided by the amp's circuit is far lower than the required 24 volts, that could damage or even burn the fan motor. I would suggest that you verify the situation to avoid problems.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I have this one and I love it. The only thing that bugs me (which I mentioned before in another thread) is a slight hiss when you rest your ear against the speaker. But who does that? When listening to music it is not an issue even with choir music. Believe me, I can live with it.
Yeah, the hiss I heard from these Crown amps is about the same as Emotiva and quieter than what I heard from the Classe amp when I auditioned the B&W Diamonds.

So not an issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I should have said “more affordable reliable pro amps”. :D

The Crest amps seem to be a lot more expensive than the Crown XLS.
Still depends on how you utilize them....value for simple consumer needs is....simple

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was curious about the specs on that fan.
I think internal fans could be an issue down the road, especially if they put the fans in a difficult spot.

I think many people have experienced loud fan noise in computers and some pro amps.

I think @PENG had an issue with the fan in his QSC pro amp, which may be in a difficult spot?

I may not be getting the Behringer KM750 due to poor reliability and quality history, but one thing they might have done right is the location of that fan. It seems extremely easy to remove and use an external fan instead.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Still depends on how you utilize them....value for simple consumer needs is....simple
To use Pro amps instead of traditional 200 - 300 WPC Amps to power traditional speakers in most homes.

I think some people are asking, “Should I get 200WPC pro amps like the Crown 2Ch amp for $250-$300 each or buy 200WPC amps from Emotiva, Outlaw, or Monolith to power my Towers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To use Pro amps instead of traditional 200 - 300 WPC Amps to power traditional speakers in most homes.

I think some people are asking, “Should I get 200WPC pro amps like the Crown 2Ch amp for $250-$300 each or buy 200WPC amps from Emotiva, Outlaw, or Monolith to power my Towers.
Still, depends on how you want to use a pro amp, not everyone wants to do that the way you do (judging on thread title alone)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Still also depends on whether or not you want an amplifier with a better aesthetic appearance.
One of the advantages of pro amps is that most of them are lighter than the audiophile amps and easy to move around. My QSC DCA 1824, a four channel amp which I use for the surround channels (170w/ch) weighs the same as one of my 2 channel DCA 1222s, that is 21 lbs. OTOH, you need a good back or someone's help to carry the Monolith 7 which weighs in excess of 90 lbs.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One of the advantages of pro amps is that most of them are lighter than the audiophile amps and easy to move around.. OTOH, you need a good back or someone's help to carry the Monolith 7 which weighs in excess of 90 lbs.
That would depend on amp to an extent and whether fans are in use. Not really meaningful except to those who believe the heaviest are the bestest.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis