The popular Outlaw M2200 mono block power amp

How likely are you to buy this Monoblock?

• 100%

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • 0% - I have no need for any more amps

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • 0% - I might change amps, but not these amps

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 0% - I want to match my amps with Pre-pro and I don’t own an Outlaw Pre-Pro

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • What is a monoblock???

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Already have one or more

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Dose anyone know what is the difference between M2200 and M200 beside the XLR output??

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Well, all the B stock 2200's are gone. Glad I snagged one last week, it had nary a smudge to indicate it had ever been opened. Happily assigned to solo sub duty and barely gets warm. The toroid is quite impressive!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, all the B stock 2200's are gone. Glad I snagged one last week, it had nary a smudge to indicate it had ever been opened. Happily assigned to solo sub duty and barely gets warm. The toroid is quite impressive!
It is indeed an impressive pan cake, the quietest that I have ever owned. It was obviously custom designed/built.

Case in point, it isn't that toroids are better, that is largely a myth (it has its own pros and cons), but it is easier to buy stock good ones more often than not in the open market. Large manufacturer such as D+M and Y can custom design/build their own so toroid or not, is moot, likely determined mostly by the form factor for the enclosure/circuit board layout. It is, however, true that If toroids are used, the marketing department people will boast their benefits, to take advantage of the existing myths, thereby reinforcing/perpetuating the myths.

Last edited:
Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I certainly was referring to the mass, the left side of these 2200's sure show it when picking it up!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I certainly was referring to the mass, the left side of these 2200's sure show it when picking it up!
Actually one of the "pros" of toroid is their inherently better output to weight ration. Given the dimensions of the M2200, toroid is probably the only option, and it helped keeping the 200 W monoblock well below 20 lbs. Outlaw did such a good job on this one, no wonder nothing apparently has changed after so many years, except may be something very minor, I assume..

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Actually one of the "pros" of toroid is their inherently better output to weight ration. Given the dimensions of the M2200, toroid is probably the only option, and it helped keeping the 200 W monoblock well below 20 lbs. Outlaw did such a good job on this one, no wonder nothing apparently has changed after so many years, except may be something very minor, I assume..
After about 8 yrs of use, I had to clean the speaker relays on both of my m200. simple cleaning and back in use. That relay gets dirty and the amp will not turn on.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After about 8 yrs of use, I had to clean the speaker relays on both of my m200. simple cleaning and back in use. That relay gets dirty and the amp will not turn on.
I wonder if that's "normal" for the relay to get dirty and having to clean the relay (or else the amp won't power up)?

I've heard amps going for 20-30 years without having to clean anything.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder if that's "normal" for the relay to get dirty and having to clean the relay (or else the amp won't power up)?

Depends on the environment, amongst other factors. 8 years does seem a bit short to me, but yes needing to clean relays is fairly common.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic

Sorry, the amps powered up, but you can hear the speakers going in and out with static noise before and after the sound cut out. I contacted Outlaw and this is what they advised me to do, so I assume they have see that before.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you buy it used? The M200 was launched about 20 years ago.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, the amps powered up, but you can hear the speakers going in and out with static noise before and after the sound cut out. I contacted Outlaw and this is what they advised me to do, so I assume they have see that before.
Did you use the typical compressed air to clean?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The person that I got them from claimed to be the original owner and bough the amps some 7 yrs ago.
Thank you, that makes more sense. 14 years old, as sliperybidness said, depending on the environment such as dust, humidity etc., and usage, it is not too unusual.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, that makes more sense. 14 years old, as sliperybidness said, depending on the environment such as dust, humidity etc., and usage, it is not too unusual.
If the original owner bought the amp brand new about 7 years ago (about 2013), then the amp is now only about 7 - 8 years old.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
They work good, so it dose not matter to me how old are they, I wish Outlaw was offering 3 channel amp for L/C/R, but at this point I will just look for one more so I can run my center with it.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Actually I have a question and some of you may have the answer: I have a model 5000 also, currently supplying power to my surround speakers and center channel. My system is 7.2 and I run surround back from the AVR, and have 2 of the model 5000 free. The reason for that is that the surround back speakers are 8 ohms and all other are 6 ohms. It may be a dumb question but will it hurt the amp if I connect 3 channels on 6 ohms and the other 2 in 8 ohms ( I am afraid that it may hurt the amp that is why I never did it )

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually I have a question and some of you may have the answer: I have a model 5000 also, currently supplying power to my surround speakers and center channel. My system is 7.2 and I run surround back from the AVR, and have 2 of the model 5000 free. The reason for that is that the surround back speakers are 8 ohms and all other are 6 ohms. It may be a dumb question but will it hurt the amp if I connect 3 channels on 6 ohms and the other 2 in 8 ohms ( I am afraid that it may hurt the amp that is why I never did it )
No, that's fine....your speakers aren't exactly 6 or 8 ohms either. What's a wolf cloth, tho?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis