The popular Outlaw M2200 mono block power amp

How likely are you to buy this Monoblock?

• 100%

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • 0% - I have no need for any more amps

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • 0% - I might change amps, but not these amps

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 0% - I want to match my amps with Pre-pro and I don’t own an Outlaw Pre-Pro

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • What is a monoblock???

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Already have one or more

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As more people going beyond 5 channels, I can see the need for external power amps may also increase. The Outlaw Mono block M2200 and multi-channel amps, as well Monolith's and Emotiva''s seem to be the most recommended amps on this forum.

For some strange reason, I cannot find my Adcom GFA555 in the basement. Instead of using just 1 of 9 internal amp channels of my AVR, I took advantage of the labor day sale and grabbed an Outlaw M2200 for $299. I can now understand why it get recommended so often. This thing is impressive for the following reasons.

- Huge pan cake transformer and it is hum free, much quieter than my already quite Anthem power amp.
- Sturdy build, well layout PCBs.
- Easy to place due to its low profile.
- Have balanced input, though I won't be using it.
- Have the music sensing feature, so I don't have to worry about triggering it.
- Runs cool, class G power supply does work well in this thing!!
- detachable power cord.
- Has power switch.

We all know for many movies, the center channel draws more power than any other channels on average, so it makes sense for me to use the 200/300W/8/4 ohms M2200 for the center channel, the Anthem 225WX2 for the L,R and the M8003 for the surrounds and heights.

The Outlaw mono block is affordable, and reasonably priced even when not on sale. For multi channel applications though, I don't think they would compete well with Emotiva and Monolith's 5,7 channel amps.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it is good for a few guys that must own monoblocks.

Also good if we truly need the power, but we are still limited by the 15 - 20 Amp outlet.

$300 x 11 amps for 7.1.4 system = $3300.

Personally if I needed 11Ch, I would do what Gene did and get the Yamaha MX5000 (street price probably around $2000).

If we don't need XLR, the Outlaw model 5000 is probably best value.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
As more people going beyond 5 channels, I can see the need for external power amps may also increase. The Outlaw Mono block M2200 and multi-channel amps, as well Monolith's and Emotiva''s seem to be the most recommended amps on this forum.

For some strange reason, I cannot find my Adcom GFA555 in the basement. Instead of using just 1 of 9 internal amp channels of my AVR, I took advantage of the labor day sale and grabbed an Outlaw M2200 for $299. I can now understand why it get recommended so often. This thing is impressive for the following reasons.

- Huge pan cake transformer and it is hum free, much quieter than my already quite Anthem power amp.

We all know for many movies, the center channel draws more power than any other channels on average, so it makes sense for me to use the 200/300W/8/4 ohms M2200 for the center channel, the Anthem 225WX2 for the L,R and the M8003 for the surrounds and heights.

The Outlaw mono block is affordable, and reasonably priced even when not on sale. For multi channel applications though, I don't think they would compete well with Emotiva and Monolith's 5,7 channel amps.

Your thoughts?
PENG, that’s a $1.50 pre watt! Doesn’t get much better than that! How are you liking that lil monster amp? When my XPA 5 decides to crap out, 3 of those will run my LCR channels for sure and let the AVR drive the surrounds just like your doing.

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General

Also good if we truly need the power, but we are still limited by the 15 - 20 Amp outlet.

Personally if I needed 11Ch, I would do what Gene did and get the Yamaha MX5000 (street price probably around $2000).

ADTG, Gene ran that amp 5000 through the mill, tested out very well. If I remember right @ 8 Ohms something like 180 @ 8 Ohms could be wrong? I do remember Gene saying it was definitely underrated.

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG, that’s a $1.50 pre watt! Doesn’t get much better than that! How are you liking that lil monster amp? When my XPA 5 decides to crap out, 3 of those will run my LCR channels for sure and let the AVR drive the surrounds just like your doing.

Mike
I like it a lot, and is perfect for my need. I think it is also viable for people who need 3 channels for the LCR and let the AVR's internal amp drive the surround and heights.

I don't think It is a good substitute for a 5 or 7 channel amp only because of the higher cost and the number of power cords.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I like it a lot, and is perfect for my need. I think it is also viable for people who need 3 channels for the LCR and let the AVR's internal amp drive the surround and heights.

I don't think It is a good substitute for a 5 or 7 channel amp only because of the higher cost and the number of power cords.
Yeah more cords, but flat out black noise floor! I can see myself with 3 of them lil monsters!

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Obviously thin, but gigantic. I suspect it is rated about 350 to 400 VA.

IMG_20180911_160734.jpg
IMG_20180911_160716.jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I think a lot of the beauty of the M2200 is it allows you to put the power where you need it!
Also, make no mistake, the MX5000 is nowhere near the equivalent of multiple M2200's!
If you are truly going to use multiple channels, The Yamaha MX5000 is pretty much an Outlaw 5000 but supposed to drive 11 channels!?
If we look at Gene's comparable 5 channels driven measurements:
5 ch 1kHz Psweep 8 Ohms 0.1% THD:
MX5000 = 138 Watts Outlaw 5000 = 139 Watts

5 ch 1kHz Psweep 8 Ohms 1% THD:
MX5000 = 144 Watts Outlaw 5000 = 148 Watts

5 ch Dynamic PWR 8 Ohms 1% THD:
MX5000 = 205 Watts Outlaw 5000 = 212 Watts

Now, it is true that the MX5000 puts out 177/250 CFP-BW into 2 channels at 8/4 ohms and the Outlaw 5000 is rated at 170/230 under the same conditions (not a very big difference); however, the fact that the Outlaw (marginally) beats the Yamaha when 5 channels are running indicates that the $600 Outlaw actually has more capability from its power supply (transformer and capacitors) than the $2500 Yamaha MX5000. You would expect the 11 channel Yamaha to have a much, much larger power supply than the 5 channel Outlaw!
I'd imagine if you connected 11 speakers to the Yamaha it would not be pretty

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000/measurements
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5000-mx/processor-and-amp-measurements

@PENG (or anyone else),I am more than a little uncomfortable making these statements as factual - I am stretching my understanding of power ratings and amp design! Please do not hesitate to make corrections/elaborate! Thanks!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

- detachable power cord.
- Has power switch.

Your thoughts?
Great amplifier...
Built by the OE factory (Taiwan) that builds the majority of the Parasound products. He also builds multiple channel amplifiers for distributed audio by SpeakerCraft. We know the factory owner well, he is an experienced audiophile. Over the years we have sourced various amplifier products from his factory...

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think a lot of the beauty of the M2200 is it allows you to put the power where you need it!
Also, make no mistake, the MX5000 is nowhere near the equivalent of multiple M2200's!
If you are truly going to use multiple channels, The Yamaha MX5000 is pretty much an Outlaw 5000 but supposed to drive 11 channels!?
If we look at Gene's comparable 5 channels driven measurements:
5 ch 1kHz Psweep 8 Ohms 0.1% THD:
MX5000 = 138 Watts Outlaw 5000 = 139 Watts

5 ch 1kHz Psweep 8 Ohms 1% THD:
MX5000 = 144 Watts Outlaw 5000 = 148 Watts

5 ch Dynamic PWR 8 Ohms 1% THD:
MX5000 = 205 Watts Outlaw 5000 = 212 Watts

Now, it is true that the MX5000 puts out 177/250 CFP-BW into 2 channels at 8/4 ohms and the Outlaw 5000 is rated at 170/230 under the same conditions (not a very big difference); however, the fact that the Outlaw (marginally) beats the Yamaha when 5 channels are running indicates that the $600 Outlaw actually has more capability from its power supply (transformer and capacitors) than the $2500 Yamaha MX5000. You would expect the 11 channel Yamaha to have a much, much larger power supply than the 5 channel Outlaw!
I'd imagine if you connected 11 speakers to the Yamaha it would not be pretty

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000/measurements
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5000-mx/processor-and-amp-measurements

@PENG (or anyone else),I am more than a little uncomfortable making these statements as factual - I am stretching my understanding of power ratings and amp design! Please do not hesitate to make corrections/elaborate! Thanks!
I also think the Outlaw 5000 is as powerful as the MX-A5000. Aside from Gene bench test results, there are a couple more tell tale signs. The 5 channel Outlaw weighs only 6 lbs less than the MX-A5000, but both have "maximum" power consumption stated as 1500 watts. Basically the 5X120 W Outlaw weighs only 6 lbs less (50 lbs vs 56 lbs) than the 11X170 W Yamaha and both are class AB amps, and have the same maximum power consumption. I don't consider the MX-A5000 good value, it is not much more powerful than a flagship AVR.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG, there’s just something majestic about a monoblock, nothing like a fine speaker having it’s owe power supply. Nice close up photo PENG!

Mike
That is my feeling too. No inter channel interference.. Obviously, all else being equal, they are always going to be more expensive, and more power cords lol!!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Mike, you’re not hoping, are you? :D

Any signs of the EMO crapping out? The amp can’t be too old, right?
ADTG, Not really I’d have to go dig up the receipt, but I believe I purchased that XPA 5 somewhere between late 2011 or early 2012 sooo about 5 1/2 to 6 years old. ADTG, I’m going to try and clean up the cheese :rolleyes: on it, like remove them ugly ass aluminum bars on each side. But who knows I may just sell it off on Craigslist and snatch up three of them monoblocks from Outlaw in a few months. I’m almost sure them RBH elites speakers deserve nothing less than that their own power supply.

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Great amplifier...
Built by the OE factory (Taiwan) that builds the majority of the Parasound products. He also builds multiple channel amplifiers for distributed audio by SpeakerCraft. We know the factory owner well, he is an experienced audiophile. Over the years we have sourced various amplifier products from his factory...

Just my $0.02... ;)
That hughe skinny toroidal pan cake must be custom wound for Outlaw right?:D:D I have many quite a few amps, all but one have toroidals, but none as big (of course in diameter only) as the one in the M2200, not even close.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gents, so aside from Outlaw, Monolith, Emotiva, Yamaha MX-A, Marantz MM8077, MM8003, Onkyo PA-MC5501, are there other viable/affordable multi-channel power amps to match AVPs, prepros and AVRs?

Otherwise, of the ones I mentioned, I would rank them in order of Outlaw, Monolith, Marantz, Emotiva, Onko, Yamaha.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ADTG, Not really I’d have to go dig up the receipt, but I believe I purchased that XPA 5 somewhere between late 2011 or early 2012 sooo about 5 1/2 to 6 years old. ADTG, I’m going to try and clean up the cheese :rolleyes: on it, like remove them ugly ass aluminum bars on each side. But who knows I may just sell it off on Craigslist and snatch up three of them monoblocks from Outlaw in a few months. I’m almost sure them RBH elites speakers deserve nothing less than that their own power supply.

Mike
Sorry Mike, it is not going to happen, power amps just don't quit so early unless you abuse them. Last year I recapped my Marantz SM-7 that is about 35 years old. The old large power supply caps still looked great, I measured them and the values were still almost exactly as specified, no sign of any leaks or deterioration at all, really amazing..

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Gents, so aside from Outlaw, Monolith, Emotiva, Yamaha MX-A, Marantz MM8077, MM8003, Onkyo PA-MC5501, are there other viable/affordable multi-channel power amps to match AVPs, prepros and AVRs?

Otherwise, of the ones I mentioned, I would rank them in order of Outlaw, Monolith, Marantz, Emotiva, Onko, Yamaha.
PENG, can’t disagree on the order, Parrsound has their lower end line of amps that are nice. They do throw them on sale once in a while. I use to follow Adcom, came close to getting one from them. I don’t believe no one that I know of outside of Crown that has a monoblocks with the build of Outlaws even at 399 it’s a killer deal.

Mike

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
That hughe skinny toroidal pan cake must be custom wound for Outlaw right?:D:D I have many quite a few amps, all but one have toroidals, but none as big (of course in diameter only) as the one in the M2200, not even close.
The toroidal power transformer in the 2200 is manufactured by Chozeng Electric Co. located in TaiChung, Taiwan. TaiChung is located about 40 miles south of Taipei and has been in business 35 years. Their factory is very capable and is ISO9002 approved, they can build to all major electrical certifications UL, VDE, TUV and CE.
Here is a link to their factory..
http://www.webb.com.tw/eng/products.html

Just to my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis