The Philharmonic Audio BMR, Refreshed!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You're right about power handling, although the Scan is a really high bar. The trade-off for a little extra volume at 34 Hz is a very heavy cone that breaks up fairly early and requires a steep slope to the mid to suppress the breakup. The SB Ceramic is much smoother, to the point that on quite a bit of music you might think you were listening to a decent 2-way if you played the woofer alone without a crossover. That allowed me to use a second order acoustic slope on the woof-mid circuit, which increased sensitivity. But the Xover isn't any simpler. It has the same number of components as the 4th order (both are 3rd order electrical). The component values are just chosen to roll the woofer off more gradually. The most complex crossovers are 1st order acoustic, because the acoustic output of the woofer has to be so carefully tailored.
I personally think that SC Ceramic is a better looking driver, for people that run sans grills.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
No doubt the speaker is aesthetically beautiful, from the veneer to the drivers. The recessed tweeter design looks sharp too.

Looks like you have a winner of your hands Mr. Murphy. Would love to hear it.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I finally ordered a pair of BMRs. This has been an itch I couldn't scratch.

Now I'm just waiting for the FedEx guy. So close to scratching that itch . . .

B

Bobulator

Audiophyte
Is there anyone who lives in the ATL area that I could listen to your BMRs? I live in Dunwoody, and am willing to drive a bit. Just want to ensure I like them enough over my current ones to invest in them.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is there anyone who lives in the ATL area that I could listen to your BMRs? I live in Dunwoody, and am willing to drive a bit. Just want to ensure I like them enough over my current ones to invest in them.
Welcome! :)

@KEW ?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What are your current speakers?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW - Do you think you'll get your BMR's back? :p
Definitely!
Erin is a straight-up guy.
The situation is I took a few pairs of speakers to him, he said it'd be slow going to fit them into his schedule.
I will probably make a run after he measures a second pair. It is close to 8 hours round trip!

B

Bobulator

Audiophyte
What are your current speakers?
I have KEF LS50s, Q150s, Maggies (various, in need of repair), Elac debut 6.1, a KEF sub/sat HTIB system with the rounded pyramid sub (don't remember the model), and my favorite is my modified Zaph L18/27TDFC speakers in a .75 ft3 PE cab. (Increased BSC, padded the tweeter down, and changed to the fabric dome from the metal SEAS unit). However, my design goal is a floorstander with true full range capabilities. I started building a pair of Statement IIs, but preliminary testing was that they were way too bright for me, so never finished them. It sounds like the BMR towers may be the ticket, but I don't have Billions to spend (as Dennis mentioned ;-)

B

Bobulator

Audiophyte
Definitely!
Erin is a straight-up guy.
The situation is I took a few pairs of speakers to him, he said it'd be slow going to fit them into his schedule.
I will probably make a run after he measures a second pair. It is close to 8 hours round trip!
Yes, I'm guessing Erin lives in Huntsville, or maybe Madison area, west of there, it's pretty much a full day round trip if that's where he lives from ATL! And if he's also going to measure/test the BMR towers that Dennis mentioned, it might be awhile!

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Aren't we all? *wink* :D

... and he doesn't like cussin'.
Oh, he likes cussin'. Just not in his youtube videos.

Maybe one day I will release a PG-13 version of one of my reviews. Probably on a speaker that sucks. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, he likes cussin'. Just not in his youtube videos.

Maybe one day I will release a PG-13 version of one of my reviews. Probably on a speaker that sucks. :D
No, no... don’t hold back. Let’s go for a R rating!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think anyone wants to see my naked booty.
Nudity is definitely NOT required! All it should take is some F-Bombs and perhaps some creative Mic to Port measurements! :oops::rolleyes:;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm just gonna leave this right here....my first DIY BMR is done and sound checked, the 2nd should be done within a few days.

Flat packs from Speaker HW, parts from Meniscus. These are a lot of work!

For those of you that are not familiar with the speaker on the stand, that is the Alexis Audio Rebecca (i.e. one of the Philharmonitor iterations, SB woofer and Fountek Ribbon Tweet).
1602011504697.png

1602011729515.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm just gonna leave this right here....my first DIY BMR is done and sound checked, the 2nd should be done within a few days.

For those of you that are not familiar with the speaker on the stand, that is the Alexis Audio Rebecca (i.e. one of the Philharmonitor iterations, SB woofer and Fountek Ribbon Tweet).
View attachment 40459

View attachment 40460
From what I can see, the finish looks great!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Looks

View attachment 40459

View attachment 40460
Looks sharp. Impressions so far?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis