The Paradigm Speaker Owners Thread

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Guys, I have been a happy Paradigm owner of more than a decade at this point. I have heard other speakers, but IMHO Paradigm has compelling choices also. Please to other owners share your rigs, or ask questions as needed to see if we can pool resources.

I currently have on my 7.1 rig the following
1 pair Premier 800F floor
1 center Prestige 45C
1 Defiance X12 subwoofer
1 pair Prestige 25S rear surrounds
1 pair Mini Monitor v5 front surrounds.

Yes I put that together over time and it sounds wonderful.

I am contemplating for my office a pair of the new Founders Edition 40B bookshelf speakers. I have heard and documented in another thread my experience with the Founders Edition 80F and the 70LCR speakers. Both are worthy choices for the front pair or used in stereo as I had demonstrated at my local dealer. Honestly had these been available last year the 80F would have replace the Premier 800F as my choice of fronts. They are that good. And my center would have been the 70LCR for both the center and the front surrounds. Again the 70LCR are that good.

I love my speakers and hope that I can meet other Paradigm owners here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Because ADTG hasn't owned any yet! :p

Those 800s are some nice speakers. Good subwoofage too. I'll bet it does sound wonderful. Got any pics??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to officially start it, edit you title to read "The Pardigm Speaker Owners Thread" :)

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Oh a few more before the new entertainment center furniture.

DA278FD8-5992-4C53-8372-9236D5A3D546.jpeg
F01DB1AE-202E-477E-BE10-FDAFD3FAE80E.jpeg

This was the old setup. Here you see my old rebuilt sansui speakers I rebuilt while in grad school. Note the old cc-190 center in the picture just to the right of the tv. The avr is off but is my old Yamaha rxv663 since disposed of.
74DE8272-4219-47CE-AC6A-D7C703F38DC9.jpeg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Count me in. :) I got my first Paradigms about 15 years ago. A pair of in-walls to replace the Electrovoice bookshelves that I had hanging from the ceiling in the livingroom. Still have them and they are great for background music or when company is over. Grills are painted to match the walls so you hardly see them. I'll relocate them when I install a big screen and get a matching center.

When I shopped for my HT system in 2010 I listened to a dozen big box store speakers but left unimpressed and visited a local hifi shop. Was originally looking at the old Monitor and Titan line until I heard the Studio series. Well above my budget but I knew the owner. ;) I was alone in the room and listened for an hour. Nothing else had come close.

Luckily someone had ordered a Denon 2030ci and then decided to upgrade. Got it brand new at an open box price and he discounted the Studio 20 v5 for me. Added a Panasonic plasma which is still looking great 10 years later.

Budget blown, I found a used Paradigm Studio-CC centre to hold me over. Few years later got a mint condition CC-590 v5 to match my mains on Canuck Audio Mart. Running a cheap sub for now and plan to upgrade that.

After 10 yrs I'm still tweaking and trying to get some improvements. Also considering the new Founder series speakers as an upgrade.
20210213_120852_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Last edited:
S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
You have a very busy room! Nice gear, but some opportunities to improve with placement. I think you have some wiggle room to work with.
Less than you realize. Every square inch is spoken for with out crawling over stuff. I have had to make adjustments for my medical condition which requires wheelchair access through out the abode

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Less than you realize. Every square inch is spoken for with out crawling over stuff. I have had to make adjustments for my medical condition which requires wheelchair access through out the abode
I see. That, I didn't know. Sometimes compromises have to be made. My setup isn't perfect either. You do have some nice speakers and I'll bet it sounds great in your room.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I moved the mains back a little to couple with the back wall a little more. Trying to get a little beefier bottom end. Moved the sub further out so that it is closer to the centre of the side wall. I have the couch against the back wall and the bass is a little boomy when I lean back so I need to play with the sub and main positioning some more. Also thinking about some acoustic panels for the side and back wall as it is a small room (seating 9.5 ft from speakers).

My other concern is the ceiling duct work that you can partially see below. I'm wondering if the reflections off of the back face and bottom face are causing issues? If I order panels I'll probably get enough to cover those surfaces as well and see if I can tame the room a little.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I moved the mains back a little to couple with the back wall a little more. Trying to get a little beefier bottom end. Moved the sub further out so that it is closer to the centre of the side wall. I have the couch against the back wall and the bass is a little boomy when I lean back so I need to play with the sub and main positioning some more. Also thinking about some acoustic panels for the side and back wall as it is a small room (seating 9.5 ft from speakers).

My other concern is the ceiling duct work that you can partially see below. I'm wondering if the reflections off of the back face and bottom face are causing issues? If I order panels I'll probably get enough to cover those surfaces as well and see if I can tame the room a little.

In your shoes I'd focus on replacing that sub first, before spending on room treatments or anything else.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
In your shoes I'd focus on replacing that sub first, before spending on room treatments or anything else.
I've been thinking I should do that before even considering a speaker upgrade. I ran Audyssey again and that did improve things somewhat but I've never been 100% happy with that sub. The room treatments are more to control the first reflections off the right wall and hopefully tame the highs a bit. I don't think I'll gain much from bass traps in this space. Bass tends to be fairly even in different positions except for close to the back wall and I'm very limited for where bass traps could go.

I've watched Gene's vids on speaker placement and acoustic treatments, and I know that I would be throwing darts at the problem, but I think one can also look logically at a room and see where potential problems exist. The open left side makes me want to limit reflections on the right, and if the room sounds bright to my taste, panels on the side and back wall can soften the high end. They're not that expensive and worst case scenario I take them back down and sell them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been thinking I should do that before even considering a speaker upgrade. I ran Audyssey again and that did improve things somewhat but I've never been 100% happy with that sub. The room treatments are more to control the first reflections off the right wall and hopefully tame the highs a bit. I don't think I'll gain much from bass traps in this space. Bass tends to be fairly even in different positions except for close to the back wall and I'm very limited for where bass traps could go.

I've watched Gene's vids on speaker placement and acoustic treatments, and I know that I would be throwing darts at the problem, but I think one can also look logically at a room and see where potential problems exist. The open left side makes me want to limit reflections on the right, and if the room sounds bright to my taste, panels on the side and back wall can soften the high end. They're not that expensive and worst case scenario I take them back down and sell them.
I think you already have some pretty nice speakers, tho I understand wanting to upgrade. I'm one of the worst when it comes to getting that itch, lol. If you figure out what you might need for treatments I'm sure you'll realize some improvements, but looking at your gear that sub is definitely your weakest link.

I ripped a copy of "Cosmic Hippo" because of you and listen to it at least once almost every day now. What a fun track for bass. There is a section in the middle of that song where the bass gets pretty deep and fairly strong I missed on my first playthrough. You are absolutely going to need a better sub to really get the most out of a song like that. I know cost of entry for good subs ain't cheap, but I think it's your best opportunity to realize some big gains.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think you already have some pretty nice speakers, tho I understand wanting to upgrade. I'm one of the worst when it comes to getting that itch, lol. If you figure out what you might need for treatments I'm sure you'll realize some improvements, but looking at your gear that sub is definitely your weakest link.

I ripped a copy of "Cosmic Hippo" because of you and listen to it at least once almost every day now. What a fun track for bass. There is a section in the middle of that song where the bass gets pretty deep and fairly strong I missed on my first playthrough. You are absolutely going to need a better sub to really get the most out of a song like that. I know cost of entry for good subs ain't cheap, but I think it's your best opportunity to realize some big gains.
I already have the money for an SB-1000 Pro or PB-1000 Pro. Could even make the jump to the 2000 or Paradigm Defiance X10. The 3000 would be overkill for that space and I don't like to have the room pressurized too heavily any way. Should have got it on sale last month. :p

That's funny! I suggested that track specifically for the middle bass run and was surprised when you first said that the bass wasn't all that deep. Now I know why. :D

Time to look at sub-woofer prices again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure you already know I'm gonna nudge you into a ported sub, but your space isn't huge and you might get some room gain with a sealed sub. Still tho, I'll always push for ported if you have the room.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure you already know I'm gonna nudge you into a ported sub, but your space isn't huge and you might get some room gain with a sealed sub. Still tho, I'll always push for ported if you have the room.
Think I ruled out the X10. Only goes down to 29Hz with extension to 24. The X12 is twice the price of a PB-1000 Pro but the SVS goes 3 Hz deeper. The Paradigm does include a mic and Anthem Room Correction app which would be handy. The Paradigms rarely go on sale though.
(Edit: With the PB-1000 I'm also more likely to get a second one down the road. Can get two PB-1000 for the cost of an X12.)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I would look at getting a broadband absorber and placing it against the right wall in front of the speaker. The acoustic mirroring that is happening is sure to be messing with the levels of the right vs left speaker.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would look at getting a broadband absorber and placing it against the right wall in front of the speaker. The acoustic mirroring that is happening is sure to be messing with the levels of the right vs left speaker.
If I was to go with about a 4' or 5' square panel, is there a general rule of thumb for placement? Would I want the mid point of the panel to be at the mid point between the speaker and my seating position, or slide it closer to the speaker to catch more of the early reflections?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will want to place the panel where it will catch the early reflections. The problem is that surface is going to be reflecting a lot of sound toward your listening position where the other speaker isn't reflecting anything, and that will cause a level imbalance. I would be looking at at least a 2' x 2' panel, and the thicker you can make it, the better. 4" thick would be ideal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis