The Panasonic Plasma Unthread

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Don't mean to hijack, but my thought process was as follows.

Plasma has a superior picture to me.

LCD uses less power. More left for my amp.:D

LCD has less chance of burn-in. We do a-lot of leaving the TV on while doing other stuff. We also pause a lot.:eek:

The dimensions were also a plus for my application.;)

I do wonder if the Panny was a better option.:confused:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Don't mean to hijack, but my thought process was as follows.

Plasma has a superior picture to me.

LCD uses less power. More left for my amp.:D

LCD has less chance of burn-in. We do a-lot of leaving the TV on while doing other stuff. We also pause a lot.:eek:

The dimensions were also a plus for my application.;)

I do wonder if the Panny was a better option.:confused:

You're gonna love the LCD, Z! I was a little concerned about my power situation with the plasma, but all is running smoothly .... so far. This house was built by 14 ga., 15 amp circuit lovers. :(

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Granted I'm no videophile but I've had my Tosh LCD for 2 days now and I don't think the black level is bad at all and even off axis viewing isn't too bad. It's not like a laptop LCD screen where if you move a foot to the left or right the entire image looks posterized.

Plasma may indeed have an edge but in my limited in-home experience I can say that you just don't know until you get a set, any set, home and live with it. In the store showrooms I could stand two feet away and thought the picture was breathtaking even when the salesman told me that the feed was SD satellite. At home, I don't think SD is so wonderful at all. HD on the other hand is nearly perfect.

Now I'm wondering if it would be worth it to spend the money on an outboard video processor to take the silly cable box out of the loop because I know the cable box is not exactly state of the art. Geez...does it ever end. ;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Granted I'm no videophile but I've had my Tosh LCD for 2 days now and I don't think the black level is bad at all and even off axis viewing isn't too bad. It's not like a laptop LCD screen where if you move a foot to the left or right the entire image looks posterized.

Plasma may indeed have an edge but in my limited in-home experience I can say that you just don't know until you get a set, any set, home and live with it. In the store showrooms I could stand two feet away and thought the picture was breathtaking even when the salesman told me that the feed was SD satellite. At home, I don't think SD is so wonderful at all. HD on the other hand is nearly perfect.

Now I'm wondering if it would be worth it to spend the money on an outboard video processor to take the silly cable box out of the loop because I know the cable box is not exactly state of the art. Geez...does it ever end. ;)

Congrats on FINALLY taking the plunge, MDS. I had a challenging goal of not delaying my decision and purchase longer than you. So, thanks for the motivation, lol! ;) (Isn't HD and a big screen wonderful?!! :D)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You're gonna love the LCD, Z! I was a little concerned about my power situation with the plasma, but all is running smoothly .... so far. This house was built by 14 ga., 15 amp circuit lovers. :(
Not so sure. I could've had the Panny plasma for $40 more. Clint mentioned his upcoming review of the REGZA line in another thread, and it doesn't look promising. Still, I am fairly certain at the price I paid, it was a superb value. Oh well, it has shipped.:)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
On my Toshiba LCD , HD looks great but SD looks mostly bad and actually hurts my eyes in some cases. The cable box converts everything to 1080i but if it is an analog channel or a highly compressed digital channel, the image is ever so slightly out of focus. I think the proper term would be 'soft'. That is why I am now second guessing my choice of 52" over the 46". A smaller screen viewed from the same distance would hide some of the soft video but then wouldn't be as cool for movies or the channels that actually do look good.

I haven't yet tried to connect the cable directly to the TV or use s-video from the cable box to the TV to see if the TV can do a better job of scaling and deinterlacing a SD signal than the cable box.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis