The Panasonic Plasma Unthread

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing important here, folks. I just wanted to brag that I, after much almost-eternal-internal grief, beat MDS and his continuing-almost-eternal-internal grief, to the punch on whittling down all the options, temptations, requirements, and checkbook balancing .... and finally purchased a new tv. :D

The missus and I have turned the corner on the 21st century and bought a 58" Panasonic plasma. We had to do a financial factor vs. size vs. resolution vs. usage juggling act and came up with the Panasonic Viera TH-58PE75U (Costco's model designation for the PX75U). We are seated at 13.5' from the screen and 50" didn't quite do it for us. We can't see using 1080P much (I won't upgrade all my DVD's for awhile, and we can do our gaming on the PC), so the 720P was an acceptable compromise. The icing on the cake is the ultra-nice FLAT black bezel on the set. I dispise that sexy looking but highly reflective black-mirror look of the new Panny (and many other manufacturer) models.

DirectTV seems to be a no-brainer for the HD signal carrier, with more HD channels (by far...including Sci-Fi) at a cheaper price than Dish Network. That service gets installed Monday. And there's something about a 5 LNB dish that makes me drool....or maybe that's just my advancing age. :eek:

Already we're stunned by the PQ of plasma over lcd projection. All I can say is Wee e e e e e e e!!

:D

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Congrats on the new toy, RJ!:D Just wait untill you see the Ducks in all their HD glory on ESPN HD!;) For my money, plasmas still can't be beat;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations! I'm leaning towards a Panny plasma, myself. I almost (it's always "almost" with me) succumbed to the 50" 1080p TH-50PZ77U when it was $1800 at Circuit City about a week and a half ago. That 58" set must just be fantastic!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats on the new toy, RJ!:D Just wait untill you see the Ducks in all their HD glory on ESPN HD!;) For my money, plasmas still can't be beat;)
Ducks in HD.....ooooooooh.....

Hey Duke, your designation is a "Full Audioholic" now. Heh, better stop eating. :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Congratulations! I'm leaning towards a Panny plasma, myself. I almost (it's always "almost" with me) succumbed to the 50" 1080p TH-50PZ77U when it was $1800 at Circuit City about a week and a half ago. That 58" set must just be fantastic!
Thanks, Adam. No buyer's remorse here!

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Alright RJ! I think that plasma is a great choice. Now I'm just upset that I'm not close enough to get in on some old sci-fi movies on the new big screen!

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Nothing important here, folks. I just wanted to brag that I, after much almost-eternal-internal grief, beat MDS and his continuing-almost-eternal-internal grief, to the punch on whittling down all the options, temptations, requirements, and checkbook balancing .... and finally purchased a new tv. :D

The missus and I have turned the corner on the 21st century and bought a 58" Panasonic plasma. We had to do a financial factor vs. size vs. resolution vs. usage juggling act and came up with the Panasonic Viera TH-58PE75U (Costco's model designation for the PX75U). We are seated at 13.5' from the screen and 50" didn't quite do it for us. We can't see using 1080P much (I won't upgrade all my DVD's for awhile, and we can do our gaming on the PC), so the 720P was an acceptable compromise. The icing on the cake is the ultra-nice FLAT black bezel on the set. I dispise that sexy looking but highly reflective black-mirror look of the new Panny (and many other manufacturer) models.

DirectTV seems to be a no-brainer for the HD signal carrier, with more HD channels (by far...including Sci-Fi) at a cheaper price than Dish Network. That service gets installed Monday. And there's something about a 5 LNB dish that makes me drool....or maybe that's just my advancing age. :eek:

Already we're stunned by the PQ of plasma over lcd projection. All I can say is Wee e e e e e e e!!

:D
Did directv make you pay $300 for the HD DVR? That is the main reason I left them and went to Time Warner. I was with them for almost 2 years and when I called to upgrade they said I had to pay $300 to upgrade. Pure BS if you ask me.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
did you post pics? :)

at your distance, 1080p certainly is unnecessary.

and indeed, RPLCD to FLAT PLASMA is like RPCRT to CRT

congrats on the bigger TV! I usually get away with 40" tv's by getting up close and personal.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Did directv make you pay $300 for the HD DVR? That is the main reason I left them and went to Time Warner. I was with them for almost 2 years and when I called to upgrade they said I had to pay $300 to upgrade. Pure BS if you ask me.
Here's the deal with the receivers, which are all considered "leased" just like the Dishnet plan. An HD-DVR is $199 and has JPEG2 and 4, tons of memory, and can record two channels simultaneously. An SD-DVR is $99. All SD receivers are free of charge. After every 6 months of service, a customer is eligible for a receiver upgrade for free. We have 3 tv's. So in 6 months a 2nd tv, the old RPLCD, will get a free HD receiver. After one year, we'll get an SD-DVR for the 3rd tv. HD is free for one year, by the way, via rebate.

You can also save an additional $50 through a referral plan. Anyone thinking of starting up DirectTV, feel free to PM me for details on that.

I used to think the same as you about the receiver costs, Gus. But that has pretty much changed. The package is much cheaper in the long run than Dishnet (which we've had for many years until now). The HD service alone is half the price of Dishnet's. This is my opinion only and YMMV. I don't wish to put down Dishnet in any way. They have provided good service to us.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
did you post pics? :)

at your distance, 1080p certainly is unnecessary.

and indeed, RPLCD to FLAT PLASMA is like RPCRT to CRT

congrats on the bigger TV! I usually get away with 40" tv's by getting up close and personal.
I'll grab a pic after Monday when the HD gets hooked up. :eek: :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
those are big front speakers ... what JBL model are they?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm I have the same TV but the PX model but yours has that silver bar at the bottom where the speakers are. Although I wish I had your stand because mine is the oval one and it obstructs my center channel placement.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Full of (insert cake here). :p

MAN, that 58" is beautifuuullllllllll!!!! (jealousy sets in):eek:
Looks great!:)
Thanks Gasman. The silver on the bottom of the Panny looks great and matching with the silver on the bottom of the JBL's! (Same with the small amount on top. Crap...now I can't buy new speakers! :()

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis