The one? Ultra Blue Ray Player

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You really don't need to spend more than $249 for a good 4K player Sonny 700 or Pano 420 work great.
Except for my Oppo I didn't spend more than $100 for a variety of Sony bluray players (a bit older than the current models, tho).

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've got a Panasonic DP-UB820. (The mid-range one between their DP-UB420 and DP-UB9000) One thing I noticed between it and my (now discontinued) Yamaha BD-S477, when I play a DVD in the Yammy and power off in mid-movie, I can pick up later where it left off. Not so on the Panasonic. The 'pick up where you left off' feature only seems to work playing DVD's on the Yammy and my 'region free' DVD player Pioneer DV-3052V.

S

sterling shoote

The UBD Player out there today is an OPPO-205; but, you won't get one from OPPO. Production stopped about 3 years ago. This unit can be found on eBay. It is THE UBD Player for literally a multitude of reasons. I primarily use mine to enjoy multi-channel downloads on PC or thumb drive, as well as iTunes via OPPO's usb DAC up sampling at 24/192. The unit has multi-channel analog output, which means vintage non HDMI Pre-Pros can receive modern multi-channel formats. Of course it has HDMI output too. I purchased my unit new to enjoy multi-channel SACDs via analog output to my Sony TA-P9000ES Multi-channel Preamplifier and I am satisfied with the amazing breadth and depth of the sound stage. At any rate, read up on this unit, there's nothing out there, nothing yet that would satisfy you more.

S

sterling shoote

Ok so, seems like Sony is the way to go. The 1100 is twice the price of the 800, what are you paying for? Both seem to provide hifi sound and both are "smart" and play both disks. what am I missing?
The Sony UBP-X1100ES has a stereo DAC which permits stereo SACD pleasure from any HI-FI integrated amp, receiver, preamp having RCA analog inputs. Via the unit's HDMI output you can listen to multi-channel SACD using your Pre-Pro's multi-channel DAC.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
So I went with the Sony 800 from bb for $250. Is there any difference with this DVD player in audio quality from Netflix or YouTube vs an Apple TV?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Your receiver will be processing any and all digital audio signals so there really should be no audible differences.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I went with the Sony 800 from bb for $250. Is there any difference with this DVD player in audio quality from Netflix or YouTube vs an Apple TV?
Unless the streams have been changed/altered by the service/carrier, its all the same information....

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Does anyone know of a good youtube video that helps with the setup or explains things like the DSD output, BD secondary audio, what PCM bit rate to use, DSEE HX, etc. Call me a dork but I would really like to know what all that stuff means.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone know of a good youtube video that helps with the setup or explains things like the DSD output, BD secondary audio, what PCM bit rate to use, DSEE HX, etc. Call me a dork but I would really like to know what all that stuff means.
Mostly we'll just say RTFM! :) I don't do videos in exchange, easier to RTFM :)

ps but if you have specific questions/settings you don't understand....post 'em up....good way to learn.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I could have used your examples....DSD is related to SACD (Super Audio CDs).....will you be using any? BD secondary audio generally is best off unless you have a specific use for it. Not sure what the others are....

D

depechefan

Audioholic
One annoying thing about the Sony players is that they don't automatically switch between DV, HDR and SD. If you enable DV then everything is sent as DV to the display. That's the case for the 700 (which I own) but my understanding is that this also goes for the more expensive models. This seems very strange to me. Why not use the info on the disc and switch between the different color formats?!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I can only speak for the X800 and not the X700 or X800M2. Netflix can be had in 4K HDR10 and DD 5.1 with the X800 Netflix app. The Apple TV 4K Netflix app can handle DV/HDR10 and Dolby Atmos. The X800 Youtube app can handle 4K HDR10 and 60fps. It outputs in PCM 2.0. The Apple TV 4K can now handle 4K, BUT, no HDR and no 4K @60fps. If you watch 4K 60fps material in the Youtube app, the Apple TV 4K will play it back at 1440 60fps. When the Apple TV 4K is set to allow Dolby Atmos, anything not in Atmos will be sent as PCM.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Why use the Blu-ray player for Netflix? Go with a Amazon Firestick or Roku so you can have more streaming options. The Apple TV is great too but it’s much more expensive.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
And most have Smart TVs with their own apps. So many different options, and the apps are not identical from one device to another. It can be maddening.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
If you have a bit more to spend, the Panasonic UB820 is really amazing matched with my LGCX.

I'll admit my TV is only a few weeks old so I might still be a bit about things but they do make an impressive combo together.

It's more than the bargains many here can suggest, but as far as quality and performance, I think there are only a few in the same class.

BTW, not commenting on the need for a different streaming device, but it handles the 4k very well also. Having said that if I didn't need the upgrade and it was streaming only I'd have probably gone with the Chromecast Ultra. $69 and you're in the full 4K zone I believe.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a bit more to spend, the Panasonic UB820 is really amazing matched with my LGCX.

I'll admit my TV is only a few weeks old so I might still be a bit about things but they do make an impressive combo together.

It's more than the bargains many here can suggest, but as far as quality and performance, I think there are only a few in the same class.

BTW, not commenting on the need for a different streaming device, but it handles the 4k very well also. Having said that if I didn't need the upgrade and it was streaming only I'd have probably gone with the Chromecast Ultra. $69 and you're in the full 4K zone I believe.
Did you try a Sony? It's no use spending more if you're not to get a better video and audio performance.
Keep in mind that Sony invented the CD format and was also involved with other manufacturers for the release of the Blu-ray and most likely the 4K UHD format.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
This is a a reply to me.? No, why would I try a Sony..? I did my research, I knew what TV I was buying, and I had the money to spend.

I know Sony's reputation, for the most part, but I wanted the best I could afford, as I assume anyone would. In the end, in my particular situation it seemed to cone down to this Panasonic or an Oppo model, which I've somehow forgotten at the moment.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting, spending beyond one's means, I'm simply adding to the thread my own research and experience. And at this price point, which I did try to point out was higher than most, IMO worth it.

I have nothing against Sony or more affordable BRP's. Just happy to be content with the one I chose, and offering an opinion.

I mean the OP was titled "The one" so I interpreted that as the one that stands above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis