highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just so you know, turntables reside 'outside' the roundhouse, within 'the circle' so to speak ;)
I was thinking about the oldest photos I had seen- The old B&O roundhouse was fully enclosed, but there's really no need to spend the money for such a large roof when the service/prep was done. Good way to keep engines/cars off of the tracks and out of the way....

My brother has been a train freak since he was little and I have seen many yards, been to RR museums and absorbed a lot of info over the decades. The RR station at the lakefront is seen in the link- the RR yards were in the Menomonee Valley to the SW and in other parts around the metro area and a couple still exist,like the one near where I saw Big Boy. The line from the NW was used to carry Taconite from the Upper Peninsula of MI and other places in Northern WI,as well as lumber- it passed to the North of where I lived as a kid and we used to find loose pellets along the tracks. That part of the line was abandoned for use by the RR and is now part of the Oak Leaf Trail, used for biking and walking from Lake Michigan to counties farther to the North, as money allows.

Have you been to the RR Museum near Green Bay, WI?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
All roundhouses were enclosed. The reason they were called such is that the turntable sat outside the structure where locomotives could be turned and aligned with the individual tracks going into each 'stall'

No, I have not done the museum outside of GB, gonna be up to Elkhart Lake for the SCCA event in Oct, perhaps if time permits I can make it happen ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis