The Long Overdue Death of Retail Compact Disc

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Finally? Why, do you have a personal vendetta against CDs? From the way you describe your issues with CDs, it sounds to me you're too disorganized and frankly have a too-casual an attitude towards your music: ". . they fell down the side of car seats and slid under my bed . . " Need I say more?

My CD collection goes back to early 90s, and they all look like the day they were purchased, and sound better than anything available for streaming. yes I subscribe to Spotify and stream a lot- on the road, but nothing in the way of streaming comes close to the quality you get from a good CD recording. And BTW, just because Best Buy is doing it, doesn't mean CD is dying- billions of CDs out there will be in use for many years to come.

J

Joel Woodward

Audiophyte
I still love CD's! I just can't get onboard with the idea that streamed music is the "property" of someone else. I also like that in most cases, the bands I like get marginally more income from the sale of a CD. I know the demise is probably inevitable, but I will have to be dragged away from CD's kicking & screaming.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I liked CDs jus fine until lossless music files were ubiquitous.

The last time I touched a CD was when I moved into my new house. The CDs went from the box straight into the closet. :D
Curious, who's your go to vendor(s) for the (IMHO/IME) not so ubiquitous lossless files?

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
CDs have long been merely a physical intermediary between the publisher and the FLAC files that go on my media server. I'm in the process of scanning the liner notes to PDF and storing the CDs themselves in the attic or wherever. Trying to shelve them all only takes up space better used for items I actually require physical access to.

If I could buy music as a high quality digital download (lossless only, DRM free in a non-proprietary format) then I probably would do that and not look back. I could always burn an archival copy if I wished or even just download them again if they were lost.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
You CD lovers are motivating me to write another CD Review! One of my favorite artists won a Grammy this year for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album (yes, they still call it album even though it's only available on CD)!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
No doubt some of the medium meat heads:D are trying to kill off the production of actually owning a CD. Don't you guys get it? There trying to control information! :D...'If The Machine Breaks Down We ALL Break Down!;).. 'Platoon'

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I liked CDs jus fine until lossless music files were ubiquitous.

The last time I touched a CD was when I moved into my new house. The CDs went from the box straight into the closet. :D
lolo, ADTG, WHOA! lol..luv ya man!. ;), Shall we head over to Polk Audios 'Club' drop a few fires there?.:D I promise I won't get you into to much trouble :eek:. We sneak out before they know it was us that started the fires.:D
By the way when I first discovered 'lossless' was on my PC, burning a music CD,:p. But I swear I didn't rip nobody off!;)

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
You CD lovers are motivating me to write another CD Review! One of my favorite artists won a Grammy this year for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album (yes, they still call it album even though it's only available on CD)!
umm...they haven't woke up the ole dude to go press it on virgin vinyl yet. :D He needs a pay check too you know. But good thing them media heads didn't use just on iHeart only.:p. Bugs me to when they go just release their first album, 'bunch of songs' would be a more appropriate acronym .:D. On a more serious note , May I ask, who is the Artist? would like to go give his release Grammy winner a listen. Thxs..I have a instrumental background actually played in middle school total 3 1/2 years, but started out in 6 grade, band days passed. I am very interested in the artist name and the title of the CD

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shall we head over to Polk Audios 'Club' drop a few fires there?.:D I promise I won't get you into to much trouble :eek:. We sneak out before they know it was us that started the fires.:D
Right behind you. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Right behind you. :D
:D:D...ya know it!!..umm... edit..I do hope and this goes out to All of the members on Audioholics website, I:D, me:D, and :pmyself and I say this with sincerity..I am just picking, I speak for myself I have posted things I shouldn't have posted. With the up most respect for Genes awesome website. I apologize if I made anybody feel uncomfortable on this site. Sometimes even a little knowledge can be a dangerous mix with arrogance. :cool: I have taking my technical knowledge to the next level just by asking the right questions to the right members on this site. Now what about slew rate? that is one spec that I have over looked for years:confused:, and it is one of the more important aspects of an amp design. @ADTG;)..I think we..can sneakout now.:)..I needed to have a good sit down talk with you ADTG about slew rate. I'm going to inbox you..so I don't get bushwhacked on the side. Cause some of the Old Timers in here may not be as forgiving..:oops:..

Last edited:
Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
On a more serious note , May I ask, who is the Artist? would like to go give his release Grammy winner a listen. Thxs..I have a instrumental background actually played in middle school total 3 1/2 years, but started out in 6 grade, band days passed. I am very interested in the artist name and the title of the CD
Jeff Lorber: Prototype
Check out my many (mostly jazz) CD reviews right here on Audioholics (see sig).

D

Dazz Wryght

Audiophyte
Do you still have your CDs? If so re rip them. Personally, I can't tell rhe difference between a 320Mps rip and its CD counterpart so I can continue ripping my CDs to 320 Mps.
I still have quite a few of my CDs. My problem now being none my computers have optical drives. I'll have to grab and external.

R

Reginald Wallace

Enthusiast
I got a Technics 61 disc CD changer recently, it is full, I use it almost everyday.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I got a Technics 61 disc CD changer recently, it is full, I use it almost everyday.
I used to have a Sony 300 disc jukebox. I've got 1170 CD's and would need several jukeboxes if I wanted to 'automate' playing them.

C

canoosa

Audiophyte
I too like cd's, although not because I enjoy the act of physically playing them, rather in order to have a means of ripping them to my server and thereby ensuring that I have a correct copy of the presentation. For me, having an accurate representation is very important, given the money & effort I've devoted to having a highly resolving sound-reproduction system.
Streaming/downloading usually entails a wireless link in the chain - and that's my biggest concern! And being on satellite internet is no help either, unfortunately.
I would refer and recommend concerned members to read the articles by Geoff Martin (of B&O) in his "Typical Errors In Digital Audio" series (esp. parts 5 and 7) if they wish to attain a more critical awareness of the problems inherent in streaming transfers. For serious, dedicated listeners I don't think streaming makes the cut.

Best Regards To All!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I still buy CDs. Even though it can be cheesy at times, I really like the high-rez multi-channel recordings from SACD and DVD Audio.

Does anyone know a good place to purchase high-resolution multi-channel tracks and albums to download?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis