The evolution of my living room theater...

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Ok so I will start a thread of my own evolving theater...
Currently it is set up in the guest bedroom of the house while we remodel our living room, but I will post pictures from the beginning as early as I can find them.

Humble beginnings

Upgraded tv, speakers, receiver, rug and furniture...

Ahh the Vandersteens... also included in the picture is lots of trash on the table, and ugly ass couch covers (we let our friends stay in the guest room for a month while they remodeled their house, didn't want to mess up our fancy new couches) This is the first picture to feature the SVS.

Got the floors done... shiny

getting all painted.

in the mean time here is the temporary theater set up in the guest room...

like the speaker stand? it is a silhouette cameo... a fancy die cutting machine that the wife NEEDED for her scrap booking... Looks like a 250 dollar speaker stand to me..

To be continued...

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Ok Floors are done, paint is done, base boards being re-stained, and starting to move furniture back in.

There is a horrible Echo in the room right now due to the lack of furniture and bare floor, but I am supposed to let the floors cure for a few months before I put the rug back down. I'm going to get rid of that ugly coffee table and replace it with a large ottoman. I also am going to add some wall art. Curtains on the windows and that should be enough to kill the echo.
New windows going in in the next couple months, followed by the wall build out this year. Also need to figure out how I'm going to run speaker wire to the back wall for the rear surrounds... Oh and second SVS coming before too long.
15 grand later I get to dump a crap ton of money into another room of the house.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks amazing man. I see you have the sub on the left like me. :) Enjoy it.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
The sub is there for now.. I get the best room gain there, however when I buy the second one I may move them to mid wall on either side of the room, or somewhere else, we will figure it out when it gets here. First new windows. :)

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Might want to be careful, second sub might necessitate new windows! Break the old ones first!! ;)

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Funny you should say that ARES...
new windows are in

new back windows and rear surrounds now have a more permanent set up... along with pre-wiring for sub to go in opposite corner of first sub.

lastly the big window... frame still being painted

preview of things to come....
leather cocktail ottoman to put my feet up on when watching TV $$
Custom built wall unit for the TV to feature a 100" motorized screen that will drop in front of the TV for watching movies at night with the projector mounted in the center of the ceiling..
More attractive art and nice decorations to go up on the walls...
will continue to update.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Another room update...
Mounted my TV, got a new more attractive component cabinet, things are coming along.

Need to get new drapes and some art for the walls. Ottoman will be here in a week or two. Decided we are going to put the wall unit build off for a couple of years while we tackle some other projects around th house. It really does feel good know that this room is almost done though.
Here is the back.

To be continued....

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic

A few things updated... Second subwoofer in the opposite corner you and see its profile, new media cabinet. My 55" TV looks tiny, but it has to fit between the windows. Will add a nw picture of the back of the room later. We are coming along though.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wait, you had Vandersteens and you went to the RBHs? WAF?

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Not even WAF... The Vandys tore up my wood floor, which is original to my house which was built in 1937. They obviously didn't fit what I was going for aesthetically, and they were going to cost me even more to get the right amplifier to power them.
They really were a treat musically, unfortunately they just weren't right for my setup. I ended up making money off them though as I bought them for 600 dollars and sold them for 800. Vandersteen is a special speaker company for me as they are manufactured in the city where I was born and spent a good portion of my life, and these 3A's were the first set I ever really got the opportunity to listen to. They really did live up to their expectations acoustically. I may look for another set one day, but not until the kids move out and I have a spare bedroom to set up a stereo listening room in.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

A few things updated... Second subwoofer in the opposite corner you and see its profile, new media cabinet. My 55" TV looks tiny, but it has to fit between the windows. Will add a nw picture of the back of the room later. We are coming along though.
Very nice! Really like the media cabinet. Looks great. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Phil

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
It has been more then two years since I last updated, and I noticed my most recent picture is corrupt. So here we go. Changes are mostly aesthetic. All ready for Halloween. :)
theater.jpg

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
It's been 4 years since my last update, There have been a few changes.
My TV gets progressively bigger, kind of gave up on the idea of it fitting between the windows when my 60" Vizio bit the dust, (conveniently 2 months after the warranty expired). It's ok though because this Sony set looks way better in my bright room.
Got the Zu speakers to replace the RBH speakers. Got a stereo tube amplifier to replace the center speaker. My goal is to have a majority of American made components, and I specifically wanted a tube amplifier as both a display piece and amplification for my two channel listening. I have not replaced the Denon receiver as my wife does not want to get rid of the surround sound, but if I had my way it would be gone as we rarely watch movies.
It is interesting looking at the progression of peoples rooms in these threads.

Attachments

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's been 4 years since my last update, There have been a few changes.
My TV gets progressively bigger, kind of gave up on the idea of it fitting between the windows when my 60" Vizio bit the dust, (conveniently 2 months after the warranty expired). It's ok though because this Sony set looks way better in my bright room.
Got the Zu speakers to replace the RBH speakers. Got a stereo tube amplifier to replace the center speaker. My goal is to have a majority of American made components, and I specifically wanted a tube amplifier as both a display piece and amplification for my two channel listening. I have not replaced the Denon receiver as my wife does not want to get rid of the surround sound, but if I had my way it would be gone as we rarely watch movies.
It is interesting looking at the progression of peoples rooms in these threads.
That is a very nicely arranged system.
Many years ago, I went to a Montreal AV show and I really was impressed by the performance of a Zu speaker pair that was playing in one of the rooms.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis