The everything Beer thread

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
What beer does Phillips Brewing make? I don't believe I've ever heard of em'.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Nah, but I got introduced to Shiner by a Texan! :D
I love the slogan for Lonestar Beer. The beer is trash, about like Budweiser.

But the slogan is classic: "Drinking any other beer is treason".

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Read it and weep, (hop-head) suckas :D

I got a hold on 2 bottles of Stone Enjoy By 12.26.2014
http://enjoyby.stonebrewing.com/stone-enjoy-122614-ipa
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/84596/

This may not be a big deal for some of the west coasters or the colorado people. But, I think this is only the 2nd time that this has been available to Texans!
Have you tried it yet?
They have it on tap at Surf Taco every time it comes out. It's nice that it's fresh. With that being said, I was never bowled over by the taste.
It was OK, didn't seem worth all the hype.
What did you think?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Have you tried it yet?
They have it on tap at Surf Taco every time it comes out. It's nice that it's fresh. With that being said, I was never bowled over by the taste.
It was OK, didn't seem worth all the hype.
What did you think?
I tried it last round, not this one yet.

I thought it was Dang GOOD!

But yeah, to be honest, it is probably a little over-hyped. I really like Ruination too.

It's not a Pliney, that's for sure. And, this one is a little better than Enjoy By too
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25667/94787/

But, it is still a great beer. All the sweeter because for a long time Tx had these really backwards and arcane beer laws that kept this from distributing here. It all had to do with labeling BS, and Stone has the painted bottles. Also, Tx has the TABC (Tx Alc Bev Commision) that is just another BS hurdle for brewers that want to distribute here.

Oh yeah, those silly arcane laws....guess who paid the most lobbyists to keep them on the books as long as they did? Annheiser Busch! Because it was a huge benefit to them! A couple of the local craft breweries finally got enough attention to get the laws changed.

So, the old laws would not allow a brewery to sell beer onsite, they had to give it away. If you took a tour of a brewery, the brewery was forbidden by law to tell you where to go to buy their beer! And, if it was over a certain ABV, then the label MUST say "Malt Liquor". Even if it was not malt liquor, the law required the label to mis-identify the contents!

Thanks a lot Annheiser Busch!

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Just finished a 12 pack of this...
It is out of season now :(

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just finished a 12 pack of this...
It is out of season now :(
Yeah, that one is OK, I've had a few 6 packs of it this year. Sierra Nevada is a solid brewery, no doubts about that! However, I was slightly disappointed in the Celebration this year. It was good, but a little more malty this year than what I wanted.

I do like IPAs, and I do like Reds. Seems like a good red is hard to find.

If you wanna take it to the next level, get the Green Flash Hop-Head Red
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/35732/

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
A San Diego beer... I will have to make a trip to BevMo next week to see if they stock it. Thanks for the recommendation slip.
Also thanks for introducing me to the "Beer Advocate". Though you may have just created more trouble for me, My wife is annoyed enough by my beer consumption, I cant imagine what she will say when she walks in and finds me doing research about it on the internet...
C'est la vie.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
LOL! Yup, you can just blame me!

My bro-in-law is big into the BA scene. Those guys trade beers all the time. My bro-in-law has a several thousand dollar beer collection, seriously.

Also, my neighbor is big on the BA scene, and he does a weekly podcast concerning beer!

Needless to say, even though it isn't my top hobby, I have it pretty easy to try new beers, beers not available here, and beers that are amazing and/or impossible to find. Our yards are small, so when I have the lawnmower out, I usually take care of the neighbors yard too. Every few months he will catch me and hand me a 6 pack or a couple bombers in return. And, when he throws a party, forget about it! Nothing but beer nerds and beer snobs. I usually get an invite, but if it gets rowdy then I have no problem crashing his party.

"Hey, y'all woke me up, so now y'all have to pour beer down my throat till I go back to sleep" :D

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm really blessed to live in Wisconsin. We have a lot of great small breweries. Lately I've been a big fan of Potosi and Central Waters. I could list a half dozen more that I like. We also have our share of brewers who think you have to always add a crapload of hops to everything.

My regular brand, though, is Fat Tire.

Jim

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Looks interesting. I must checj thsi out to see if we have it Ontario.
I've seen it in BC, so should be around. Might have to check Private stores, and higher end ones at that.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis