The everything Beer thread

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
In the immediate future I wonder when the "how hoppy can we make it" trend will end?
I especially agree with this part. I like an IPA once in a while but I don't want all styles of beer to be that hoppy. I like a nice malty beer once in a while, too. Mostly I want my beer to taste like what style they are calling it on the label. A brown ale shouldn't taste like an IPA.[/rant]

Jim

annunaki

annunaki

That is exactly what I found with Victory Storm King "Imperial Stout"
To me it was a stout flavored IPA. I LOVE stouts and was rather disappointed that some brewers take that approach.

annunaki

annunaki

On a separate topic, I had a taste of a 2011 Bourbon Country Imperial Stout aged 4 years.

It was an amazing beer!! Top 5 for sure

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
On a separate topic, I had a taste of a 2011 Bourbon Country Imperial Stout aged 4 years.

It was an amazing beer!! Top 5 for sure
That's a good one! Can't buy it here, but I have friends that get it on trade.

Personally, I am a hop-head. You just can't over-hop an IPA for my taste.

But, I agree, the over-hopping belongs in West Coast IPAs, American Pale Ales, Imperial / Double IPAs, etc. I'm not even a huge fan of the under-hopped British IPAs.

If it's not one of those styles, then don't hop the heck out of it!!!

I absolutely understand the argument against hops and that you can make a poor beer and then just cover the flavors with hops. I get it. But, it doesn't change my personal tastes! When I was younger, I was all about the stouts. For the last 10 years or so, it's IPA!

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
That is exactly what I found with Victory Storm King "Imperial Stout"
To me it was a stout flavored IPA. I LOVE stouts and was rather disappointed that some brewers take that approach.
Hm... Thanks for this. I was going to try this beer, but now I will move on something else. I may try Oskar Blues Ten Fidy again. The ratings are high, but the first time I tried it I thought it was just ok.

Also in beer news(ish), it seems Budweiser is feeling a little threatened by the 'craft' brewers.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
That's a good one! Can't buy it here, but I have friends that get it on trade.

Personally, I am a hop-head. You just can't over-hop an IPA for my taste.

But, I agree, the over-hopping belongs in West Coast IPAs, American Pale Ales, Imperial / Double IPAs, etc. I'm not even a huge fan of the under-hopped British IPAs.

If it's not one of those styles, then don't hop the heck out of it!!!

I absolutely understand the argument against hops and that you can make a poor beer and then just cover the flavors with hops. I get it. But, it doesn't change my personal tastes! When I was younger, I was all about the stouts. For the last 10 years or so, it's IPA!
Don't get me wrong, I like hoppy beers. However, I like dark malty beers even more:D On hot days and BBQ's I like the refreshing taste of a good IPA. Hanging out in the evening I'd prefer a good porter.

I recently had a Fernet Aged Porter from Odells Brewing that is absolutely amazing. One of the best beers, period, I ever had. Too bad they're hard to come by around here...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Morimoto Soba Ale by Rogue. Pretty interesting stuff. Nice taste, balanced and really smooth. Could be a little stronger IMO.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Made the trip up to Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka Ca. Not a fan of most of their standard stuff, but the seasonal/specialty on tap was good. The Red IPA and the Sharkinator (super hoppy variant of Great White) were good. The Raspberry and Watermellon beers were HORRIBLE, but the apricot was surprisingly not terrible. I wouldn't buy it, but I'd drink it. The food there was also really quite good. I'll be going back up for some work in a few weeks and will most likely go again. Asked the locals and they said there are a couple of other better microbrews in near by towns, so I'll have to try to locate those too :)

Got my growler filled with the Red IPA. Mellow initial bite, but tastes like and finishes like an IPA and 8.0+% It was pretty interesting so I brought it back.

Namesake and logo sake for their Great White.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Holy cow, I'd never heard of them before, but (before seeing this) I bought a six-pack of the Sculpin IPA at the store today! It wasn't the grapefruit version, though. I was intrigued because it was $14 (on sale) for a six-pack. I figured that I'd give it a try. I'll admit, I don't think it was worth that price, but it's not too bad. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is a bit more per bottle, but I like it quite a bit more. The Ballast Point was a little bitter for my tastes.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Holy cow, I'd never heard of them before, but (before seeing this) I bought a six-pack of the Sculpin IPA at the store today! It wasn't the grapefruit version, though. I was intrigued because it was $14 (on sale) for a six-pack. I figured that I'd give it a try. I'll admit, I don't think it was worth that price, but it's not too bad. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is a bit more per bottle, but I like it quite a bit more. The Ballast Point was a little bitter for my tastes.
$14!!!! Dayum, that's pricey. I pay around $10 for it.

I do personally think that Sculpin is one of the best IPAs available anywhere, absolutely in my top 3, and I am a total hop-head so that says a lot.

I do think the Grapefruit version brings a lot to the table, it is more complex in flavor and worth trying. But, on the other hand, the normal Sculpin is so good it's almost a shame to add anything to it.

I've also heard that the Habanero Sculpin is good and intense (from several people) but I have not tried that yet.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
$14!!!! Dayum, that's pricey. I pay around $10 for it.

I do personally think that Sculpin is one of the best IPAs available anywhere, absolutely in my top 3, and I am a total hop-head so that says a lot.

I do think the Grapefruit version brings a lot to the table, it is more complex in flavor and worth trying. But, on the other hand, the normal Sculpin is so good it's almost a shame to add anything to it.
13.00 for Sculpln in my local store, the other Ballast Point stuff is 10.00
I've also heard that the Habanero Sculpin is good and intense (from several people) but I have not tried that yet.
And don't forget the Habanero sculpin.. Best chili beer I've had.
I'm only good for 1 a week though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis