The Ellis Family Go Big or go home Home Theater

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Our HT is now 99% complete, so here are some pics of it and what equipment we are using...

First reflection panels:

1. (3) 2'x4' panels on the left and right walls made of 2 layers of Roxul R80 2" thick sheets (6 in total).
2. (6) 2'x4' panels on the ceiling made the same as the side wall panels.
3. Front wall behind screen is covered with 3" of Roxul R60 wall to wall, and 4' high (from the ceiling to 4' down).
4. Rear wall has 9" of Roxul R60 wall to wall EXCEPT for the corners which should be done this week (the corner traps will be of R80).
5. Front stage is stuffed with R19 Pink Fluffy, and topped with OSB.
6. Rear seating stage is stuffed with Pink Fluffy, and topped with OSB.

Room Construction:

1. Room within a room construction with R19 insulation (inner, and outer walls).
2. Complete sub floor is stuffed with R19 topped with OSB.
3; One layer of OSB covers the wall with a 2nd layer of drywall separated by Green Glue on all four walls.
4. Hat channels on the ceiling with 2 layers of drywall separated by Green Glue.
5. 2 solid core wood doors with 2 layers of 3/4 MDF added.
6. Fire clay used for all outlets, and switches to seal the hole.
7. Automatic door closers on both entry doors.
8. Automatic door seals on both entry doors.
9. Door seals for the area around the doors.
10. 1950 Art Deco glass door handles (inside HT one is modified with Blue LEDs, and frosted finish).

Room Finish:

1. All of the walls will have Blue or Black GOM covered panels (as will the ceiling), but only the ones listed will have any acoustic materials added to them.
2. The stage is covered with Home Depot black carpet, and the soffits are covered with JoAnnes Black Triple Velvet (after the complete room was painted flat black).
3. Floor has Lowes Plum colored Carpet with premium pad.

Equipment:

Front stage...
1. JBL 2360A horns with EV DH1a drivers for the front 3 channels.
2. DIY 1/4 Pie Bass Bins.
3. Danley DTS-10 subs (one under the front stage, and the other under the rear seating area).
4. MiniDSPs 2x4s for crossover for the front 3 channels.
5. Topping T chip amps for the front 3 channels (powering the Horns).
6. (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the bass bins.
7. (1) Yamaha P7000s amp for the subs.
8. Denon 4520 for processing and surround amplification.

Surround...
1. Surround, and rear surround speakers are Klipsch HIP powered by the Denon 4520

Media...
1. DIY Unraid NAS
2. i3NUC for HA PC
3. i3 NUC for Media Server.
4. PS3 for gaming
5. XBox 360 for gaming.

Video...
1. Panasonic AE8000 projector.
2. SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope AT screen.
3. Darbee Darbet Processor.
4. Monoprice Redmere cables.

Miscellaneous...
1. APC UPS for Computers.
2. APC UPS for Projector.
3. Monster 7000 for power conditioning.
4. Samsung Galaxy Note for control via CQC HA Software.
5. Monoprice speaker wire.

Lighting...
1. Blue LED rope lighting for the soffits, stairs, and entry hallway.
2. LED spot lights in soffits for entry and exit lighting.

Now for the pics...

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Very nice!

I am willing to bet there is a great deal of time and pennies in this build:eek:o_O
I want something like this but don't think SWMBO would approve, I'm still working on a second sub!!!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Very nice!

I am willing to bet there is a great deal of time and pennies in this build:eek:o_O
I want something like this but don't think SWMBO would approve, I'm still working on a second sub!!!
I was as frugal as I could in this build... Drained my retirement a bit, bought most of the equipment used, refurbished, or traded, and watched for the best deals where ever possible. I still could have bought a new car for the price of the HT, but I am getting a ton of enjoyment out of it and I don't have to put gas in it. :)

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Progress from yesterday... Getting the HT entrance area (pond) flagstone laid

Looking from the HT to the pond entrance.

Looking from the HT entrance to the Skimmer.

Entrance to the HT.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
We watched the first Bourne movie last night. This was the first time since about July... Man did it ever sound different since then! It is amazing how much acoustic treatments change the sound.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Like the blue lighting effect around the ceiling looks like cosy room with the seating, the wall panels and the screen looks suited room width. Like the fish pond as well.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Like the blue lighting effect around the ceiling looks like cosy room with the seating, the wall panels and the screen looks suited room width. Like the fish pond as well.
Thanks, we are def enjoying it daily. :)

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Today's update...
We have the entrance to the pond almost done. The next part is to get the Ipe railing completed. Once that is done the HT will get it's finishing touches, and then we will finish off the pond area with Ipe decking for the remaining flooring, and bridge.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
A friend in another forum suggested i try out the Roger Waters CD (Amused to death) which was recorded in Q Sound. I just got it ripped to the HDD, and sat down in the 2nd row to listen to it...........................................................................

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I could hear a bobcat to my right with dogs barking in my driveway (about 20' in front of me), people talking about 2' in front and to my left about 8' away. I have never heard anything like this coming from 2 channels. I had to stop listening after the first song to gather my thoughts!

I highly suggest anyone who likes Pink Floyd music to give this a listen.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks AMAZING. I just bought a PJ recently and I am really enjoying the benefits. Your screen is twice as big as mine.:eek: I bet it looks even greater in person.:cool: Lovely home enjoy it to the ultimate.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Looks AMAZING. I just bought a PJ recently and I am really enjoying the benefits. Your screen is twice as big as mine.:eek: I bet it looks even greater in person.:cool: Lovely home enjoy it to the ultimate.
Thanks for the comments. You are going to love having a projector! I could never go to a smaller picture again. We have a 47" FP in our Living room and i hate watching it now. :)

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Nice setup, did you get all your gear from Todd's HiFi.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I saw the pictures on AVSforum before. Very impressive. Good job and enjoy this hobby.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
My Asthma is bothering me again and my wife thinks it is from all the new construction smells in the HT... So I decided to look into getting something to remove the odors on a daily basis.

I just ordered these...
1. This hopefully will take care of any odors in the HT. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JU04VY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. This hopefully will push the aire fast enough through the carbon scrubber. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RKNCMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning on installing them on the 8" HVAC return line. The return line is i believe either 25' or 50' of flex hose zig zagged across the ceiling and exiting the HT to our hall closet. I think that I can install the fan in there , and then install the Carbon scrubber on the other end of the fan. If it is too noisey I think that these should work on each side of the fan. http://www.phreshfilter.com/products/phresh-duct-silencers.aspx

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
New additions coming soon to the HT. I have a Krell Showcase 7.1 Pre/Processor coming, Crown D75 amp (still need one more), and next item will be the MiniDSP DDRC 88-A. I am hoping this takes me to the next level. I am also contemplating selling my MiniDSPs, and getting the balanced versions since all of my equipment will now be balanced. I will be using a Autopatch Precis HD Component switcher for my Audio (and possibly video). I will be getting 2 HDMI breakout boxes to 5.1 or 7.1 for 2 of my sources. I will then use the Component cables (if I still have them) for the Xbox360, and PS3. This should last me until I decide to go with Atmos, DTS-X. I am also contemplating moving the Tchip amps to the surrounds or maybe just pick up some more low power pro amps.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis