The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Auro 3D is not dead. I don’t like false information being spread. We already have too much of that in the world and the web!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

It's kind of difficult to know what will exactly happen after an audio company like Auro3D files BANKRUPTCY.

The ONLY 2 things I know:
1. Auro3D filed BANKRUPTCY
2. After 11 YEARS, Auro3D still doesn't have ANY CONTENTS in the USA after the company was released in 2011.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just rewatched Zach Snyder’s “Man of Steel” in 4K Atmos.

I didn’t realize the Atmos soundtrack was that good - reference quality. And I didn’t realize the bass was THAT strong. Really awesome bass.

Too bad it wasn’t shot using a Sony Venice 6K IMAX camera that Joseph Kosinski and James Cameron would use. :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I just rewatched Zach Snyder’s “Man of Steel” in 4K Atmos.

I didn’t realize the Atmos soundtrack was that good - reference quality. And I didn’t realize the bass was THAT strong. Really awesome bass.

Too bad it wasn’t shot using a Sony Venice 6K IMAX camera that Joseph Kosinski and James Cameron would use. :D
Yeah the remake and the soundtrack was awesome!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Edge of Tomorrow 4K ATMOS blu-ray.

PQ: decent (shot in 35 mm analog film), but not as good as the movies shot using 4K-8K digital cameras like the Sony Venice IMAX camera.

SQ: I am happy to finally report that the ATMOS soundtrack is fantastic and demo-worthy.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

It's kind of difficult to know what will exactly happen after an audio company like Auro3D files BANKRUPTCY.

The ONLY 2 things I know:
1. Auro3D filed BANKRUPTCY
2. After 11 YEARS, Auro3D still doesn't have ANY CONTENTS in the USA after the company was released in 2011.
Dolby's monopoly is still going strong.o_O

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Auro 3D is not dead. I don’t like false information being spread. We already have too much of that in the world and the web!!!
That's unfortunate if it is. A real consumer applicable format that never really made inroads into the US market.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is this breaking news? You seem gleeful.
I think any news about “Bankruptcy“ is big bad news for employees and the economy.

In case you haven’t noticed, this thread is about Atmos, DTSX and Auro3D. So any news about them is worth posting here on this thread, which is titled “The Dolby Atmos, DTSX and Auro3D Discussion Thread”.

But the salient point which you have always ignored is that THERE ARE NO AURO3D CONTENTS IN THE USA even after 11 years.

Let’s say Auro3D doesn’t go bankrupt for another 9 years (even though they did IN FACT filed bankruptcy). If they still don’t have any contents in the USA after 20 YEARS, then what’s the discussion going to be - let’s wait another 10 years to make it 30 years without contents in the USA?

After 11 years without contents in the USA, I am shocked they are still breathing.

When HD-DVD stopped having USA contents, that was it - it died quickly. But after 11 years without USA contents, Auro3D managed to stay alive for 11 years.

For the record, I have nothing against Auro3D. If I buy the next Yamaha CX-A5300 to replace my CX-A5100, there is a good chance the new Yamaha will have Auro3D since the Yamaha RX-A6 and RX-A8 already have Auro3D.

Yamaha, Marantz and Denon all have Auro3D today. So I have nothing against Auro3D.

But the fact’s a fact - NO USA CONTENTS is bad news for any format after 11 years and counting.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Edge of Tomorrow 4K ATMOS blu-ray.

PQ: decent (shot in 35 mm analog film), but not as good as the movies shot using 4K-8K digital cameras like the Sony Venice IMAX camera.

SQ: I am happy to finally report that the ATMOS soundtrack is fantastic and demo-worthy.

This is the DTSHDMA track vs the Atmos version. Pathetic…..I know you don’t care because you roll off your 25 subwoofers at 40hz, but lots of people do.
All hail the soundbar mix!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

This is the DTSHDMA track vs the Atmos version. Pathetic…..I know you don’t care because you roll off your 25 subwoofers at 40hz, but lots of people do.
Haha I wouldn't say it's that bad. They did tone down the 10 second bass test at the beginning by a smidge. But otherwise the entire Atmos mix is true DEMO worthy. I know people will freak out over 10 seconds, but it's a 2 hour movie. Enjoy the ATMOS!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I may not BOOST the frequencies below 40Hz. But who says it ROLLS OFF below 40Hz? The graph looks FLAT at 10Hz.

Bottom line, the ATMOS soundtrack on "Edge of Tomorrow" SOUNDS great to me. Good overhead sound effects. Bass sounds good.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Guess I'll be merging both audio tracks into my copy.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I may not BOOST the frequencies below 40Hz. But who says it ROLLS OFF below 40Hz? The graph looks FLAT at 10Hz.

Might as well be. I mean +10 to +15 at 40? Anything below is moot anyways! Hey man, it’s your money.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haha I wouldn't say it's that bad. They did tone down the 10 second bass test at the beginning by a smidge. But otherwise the entire Atmos mix is true DEMO worthy. I know people will freak out over 10 seconds, but it's a 2 hours movie. Enjoy the ATMOS!
I am actually very excited about the Atmos track. Personally I don’t even care about the bass in the intro, and I think way too many people use it to test their subs, when it’s few that will do it justice. In any case, it’s an excellent movie and worthy a the Atmos upgrade. The 30hz filter is just a middle finger to people with capable systems though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am actually very excited about the Atmos track. Personally I don’t even care about the bass in the intro, and I think way too many people use it to test their subs, when it’s few that will do it justice. In any case, it’s an excellent movie and worthy a the Atmos upgrade. The 30hz filter is just a middle finger to people with capable systems though.
Are you saying that the "Edge of Tomorrow" Atmos soundtrack doesn't sound great in your system?

Or that it sounds great, but just doesn't extend enough below 30Hz?

I mean sure, it's not the most bass-heavy movie around. But the bass still sounds great.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you saying that the "Edge of Tomorrow" Atmos soundtrack doesn't sound great in your system?

Or that it sounds great, but just doesn't extend enough below 30Hz?

I mean sure, it's not the most bass-heavy movie around. But the bass still sounds great.
I haven’t actually tried the new Atmos track just yet(but yes the DTSHDMA track sounds super awesome here). I just saw the graphs that I posted and was pretty disgusted that in 2022 we have tracks that fall off that high. My mains can do that… So yes. Imo it doesn’t extend low enough. Especially when they’re guns, and bombs, and heavy tac gear slamming into stuff.

However, I’m sure that despite the early roll off it will sound fantastic overall.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven’t actually tried the new Atmos track just yet(but yes the DTSHDMA track sounds super awesome here). I just saw the graphs that I posted and was pretty disgusted that in 2022 we have tracks that fall off that high. My mains can do that… So yes. Imo it doesn’t extend low enough. Especially when they’re guns, and bombs, and heavy tac gear slamming into stuff.

However, I’m sure that despite the early roll off it will sound fantastic overall.
I do understand COMPLETELY where you are coming from.

Back in the days when I had dual Funk Audio 18” Subs, I was also looking for anything with tons of 10--20Hz sound. You paid for it. You demand it. You want your moneys worth. Understandable.

It’s also like buying full-range $22K+ towers like Revel Salon2 and demand to play LARGE SPEAKER full-range, none of that “SMALL” speaker settings that many people talk about.

So when I told people I was setting my Revel Salon2 to SMALL, they were thinking, “Why buy some $22K full-range towers just to play SMALL? You could have bought some smaller speakers and done that.“

It’s understandable. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis