The DO is Getting a Baby Brother!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That is starting to look like the sub section of Gene's 8Ts. He better not be following or he'd be jealous :).
Well I would like to build about 5 more of these things. Then I could stack them so they're in a triangular shape like the woofers on the 8T's. ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
First attempt at Bondo. Only 3 more sides to go.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Not bad for your first attempt

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Not crazy about it so far. Might go back to wood putty.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well the Bondo is done, I hope. Should be able to start the long tedious sanding process soon tomorrow or sometime this week. Not sure what I'm going to do next. I still need to cut the neutrik hole and figure out how I'm going to stuff it. There's not enough room to put a roundover all the way around so I may play with a little chamfer.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
This is really similar to how I build my subs.

The only key difference is that I give random people my CC number and then they send me the sub on a truck and I plug it in.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
This is really similar to how I build my subs.

The only key difference is that I give random people my CC number and then they send me the sub on a truck and I plug it in.
Hmm, maybe someday I'll be the one sending you a sub on a truck for you to plug in :p :D

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
It's hard to get ues to, but, it's a good product nice tight seal, and is bonds in to the gapes, unlike some other materials that are on the market,

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's hard to get ues to, but, it's a good product nice tight seal, and is bonds in to the gapes, unlike some other materials that are on the market,

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk
We'll see. Wood putty has worked well so far and has been less of a hassle. Especially since the bondo stinks to high heaven.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I'm not bagging wood putty I've uesd the product several times,

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Kinda hard to see, but I put a coat of primer on, sanded lightly and this is with the second coat on.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The wires I need to get this hooked up and working will arrive Saturday. It's unclear if I'll have the patience to put some color to this or if it's going to remain primer white so I can play with it this weekend.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks cool in white. So are you taking orders yet? :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks cool in white. So are you taking orders yet? :D
Of course :D I forgot to post a picture, but I put a chamfer on two edges of each baffle. It looks a little rough in the pics, but I've done some work since then.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How about a nice high-gloss white finish? :) I think that would look slick. I like how the SVS white subs look (at least in pictures - never seen one in real life).

Btw, what sort of paint would you use? It is just wall paint from somewhere like Home Depot, automotive paint, or something else?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How about a nice high-gloss white finish? :) I think that would look slick. I like how the SVS white subs look (at least in pictures - never seen one in real life).

Btw, what sort of paint would you use? It is just wall paint from somewhere like Home Depot, automotive paint, or something else?
If I leave the primer layer down it leaves me open to doing that in the future. However, the price and process just aren't possible at the moment. You could do it the cheap way or you could do it the right way. The cheap way is with paint from the hardware store and a poly layer over it. Having done the poly on the bookshelf speakers and the mini sub, I've got a little experience with it and the results are pretty good. The best way to do it is with automotive paint and an automotive topcoat that you can really buff with a polisher. So the first way is less expensive, but extremely labor intensive. The second way is expensive (especially since I don't have a polisher), but a bit less labor intensive if you've got all the tools. Both are a no go simply because I learned my lesson about a high gloss finish and trying to accomplish it in an environment that isn't bug/dust/particulate free.

Oh yea, and there's also the little tidbit that *if* I happen to get a job down where I went for those interviews I'd have to scrap all my subwoofer cabs anyways and transport drivers only. So that would really put a damper on all that time and effort :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I ran a little test with some sub cal pink noise one driver at a time. Let's just say that the structural integrity of my place is about to be tested.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I'm not sure if that was more frustrating or disappointing. I dropped both drivers in, hooked it up to an amp and played some pink noise through it for about 1-2 hours. After which I slid it into place got the living room put back together and popped in a BD demo disc. At around -10 both drivers started to distort badly. Double checked for air leaks and I can't find any. Went back to pink noise and slowly increasing the volume. These will get up to about 95db at the LP with sub cal pink noise but the next notch up and they start to make some pretty awful noises. Guess I get to see what the CS is like :rolleyes: One last thing, today was the first time I put power to them since I received them so I'm not sure how I could have fried a VC.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry that's happening, Fuzz. I hope that you get it squared away. On the bright side, it looks nice. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis