The Dawg Crusher Killer

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Since I use Auddessy, I just put it on 20hz and left unplugged and disabled the crossover. Do you use the any of the other settings?
YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Nice !!Looking good bro and you will love it even more after you dial it in its a animal ! :D and welcome again to the SVS Family :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since I use Auddessy, I just put it on 20hz and left unplugged and disabled the crossover. Do you use the any of the other settings?
Yes everything is off on mine to except im running the 15hz tune its works the best for my taste and setup . I've got the gain on my Ultra between 9 and 10:00 and on my Pio AVR sub level -3.5 with the sub about 2 db hot and my Phase is at the 12:00 position but these settings are with my PB12 plus in the mix, before the gain was a little higher and my Phase was at 0 . I also have the crossover on the sub off with the avr set at 80 and all speakers set to small . I love my Ultra it hits hard and is very accurate for music and not muddy sounding but very clean.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't suggest you trying to shoot for anything other then the 20hz tune in your room PD.... you'll just be stressin out the driver and asking more from the ports with no room gain to speak of in that huge room...

I'm sure SVS already told you this..... 3 of those things in your room should give you at least some decent performance....

Certainly more then the sealed Axis could, though just not nearly as clean, but I'll still bet they sound pretty darn good... A Pair upfront flanking your console and the third back in the left rear corner should provide you with some great performance..... plus the improvements they are speaking of, should also get that driver closer to the performance that driver is worthy of :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
plus the improvements they are speaking of, should also get that driver closer to the performance that driver is worthy of :)
What improvements are you speaking of, are they (svs) talking about making changes to the ultra?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats on the new addition to the Dawg Pound..
Looks awesome lined up in there, very very nice addition.

*LETS GO FLYERS*

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am still evaluating. I want to get about 20 hours of music and 6 hours of movies in before I conclude. I am about done with the music section and will start the movies this weekend, if I can drag myself away from the pool.

The AXIS was +/- 3 down to 15 hz and would hit 115db at 1m in my room. The driver was barely moving at that point but I would run out of amp.

The Ultra is hitting 110db at 20hz at 1m.

Since I am trying to keep things simple and only use subjective data, it is difficult to compare but so far, I like what I am seeing.

The JL is out of the running now, it gets blown away by the other subs. I would say that I am missing a touch of the mid bass that it had but nothing to turn my nose to.

One simple issue that maybe someone can shed some light on. I am not getting any ground loop noise but I am getting interference through the sub when I adjust the volume on the AVR. This shows as a clicking through the sub with each increase in volume. Just like a feedback sound. I am using a pretty high quality cable that is 75ohms. (pretty decent, to me, means a $10 monoprice cable) I know the first thing you will probably say is to change the cable but that's easier said than done since it involves removing one speaker, pulling the sub out of the way and then pulling out the credenza which has 500lbs of gear on it. Any Other thoughts on this "feedback" noise?

One funny thing occured with the wife last night. I asked her to come out to the garage so she could hand me the SVS box to put up in the attic. She said "no- you will just sell it in 3 weeks so just leave it down".

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Could the cable have been damaged when you were moving the rack last time? Also check to be sure it is plugged in all the way on the back of the receiver. I had something similar once and it was caused by me pulling on the cable.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sure it is something like that but that is going to require me to move all the crap.:mad:

I have to move it all when I get the MSU from you anyway so I will just swap cables at that point.
Could the cable have been damaged when you were moving the rack last time? Also check to be sure it is plugged in all the way on the back of the receiver. I had something similar once and it was caused by me pulling on the cable.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I am still evaluating. I want to get about 20 hours of music and 6 hours of movies in before I conclude. I am about done with the music section and will start the movies this weekend, if I can drag myself away from the pool.

The AXIS was +/- 3 down to 15 hz and would hit 115db at 1m in my room. The driver was barely moving at that point but I would run out of amp.

The Ultra is hitting 110db at 20hz at 1m.

Since I am trying to keep things simple and only use subjective data, it is difficult to compare but so far, I like what I am seeing.

The JL is out of the running now, it gets blown away by the other subs. I would say that I am missing a touch of the mid bass that it had but nothing to turn my nose to.

One simple issue that maybe someone can shed some light on. I am not getting any ground loop noise but I am getting interference through the sub when I adjust the volume on the AVR. This shows as a clicking through the sub with each increase in volume. Just like a feedback sound. I am using a pretty high quality cable that is 75ohms. (pretty decent, to me, means a $10 monoprice cable) I know the first thing you will probably say is to change the cable but that's easier said than done since it involves removing one speaker, pulling the sub out of the way and then pulling out the credenza which has 500lbs of gear on it. Any Other thoughts on this "feedback" noise?

One funny thing occured with the wife last night. I asked her to come out to the garage so she could hand me the SVS box to put up in the attic. She said "no- you will just sell it in 3 weeks so just leave it down".
So are you saying the AXIS was hitting 115 dB at 15Hz? THat's pertty impressive.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, it was an awesome sub. I was pretty sure all along that it would take 2 consumer subs to equal it and it looks like I maybe correct. If I could have run a 4k+ amp with the AXIS, nothing would touch it.

The PB13U can hit about 107-108@ 20 Hz @ 2M ground plane (outdoors away from reflective structures), so that would be 113-114 dB @ 1 meter ground plane. If placed in a corner in a room, each near-field boundary will add (in theory) 6 dB, but in reality walls are a bit lossy so figure 4.5 dB each. So conservatively add another 9 dB for corner loading – that makes it 116-117 dB.

The C-weighted meter will read about 6-7 dB low at 20 Hz, so my readings of 110 dB @ 1M indoors are probably about correct and would be 116-117 dB unweighted.

So are you saying the AXIS was hitting 115 dB at 15Hz? THat's pertty impressive.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, it was an awesome sub. I was pretty sure all along that it would take 2 consumer subs to equal it and it looks like I maybe correct. If I could have run a 4k+ amp with the AXIS, nothing would touch it.

The PB13U can hit about 107-108@ 20 Hz @ 2M ground plane (outdoors away from reflective structures), so that would be 113-114 dB @ 1 meter ground plane. If placed in a corner in a room, each near-field boundary will add (in theory) 6 dB, but in reality walls are a bit lossy so figure 4.5 dB each. So conservatively add another 9 dB for corner loading – that makes it 116-117 dB.

The C-weighted meter will read about 6-7 dB low at 20 Hz, so my readings of 110 dB @ 1M indoors are probably about correct and would be 116-117 dB unweighted.
So do you think the Ultra stacks up as compared to the AXIS set up? :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I don't have the answer to that yet.

Are you talking with the amp limitation, that I had, with the AXIS?
So do you think the Ultra stacks up as compared to the AXIS set up? :)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have the answer to that yet.

Are you talking with the amp limitation, that I had, with the AXIS?
That is an impressive acheivement even with the amp limitations. I'm impressed with the AXIS. I do think that the Ultra coming any where near the AXIS (DIY sub) with 750 watts (granted it's sealed vs. ported) is good. Thanks for the info.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You loose the beauty of DIY costing less than consumer level when you compare the AXIS with SVS.

I had more money in the DIY than in the SVS.
That is an impressive acheivement even with the amp limitations. I'm impressed with the AXIS. I do think that the Ultra coming any where near the AXIS (DIY sub) with 750 watts (granted it's sealed vs. ported) is good. Thanks for the info.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
You loose the beauty of DIY costing less than consumer level when you compare the AXIS with SVS.

I had more money in the DIY than in the SVS.
Oh I didn't realise that (having more money invested). As for beauty, that piano gloss black looks nice. I really like the rosenut finish too.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
From what I see so far, the PB13 is looking awesome. 2 of them, like you have is got to be awesome.
Oh I didn't realise that (having more money invested). As for beauty, that piano gloss black looks nice. I really like the rosenut finish too.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
From what I see so far, the PB13 is looking awesome. 2 of them, like you have is got to be awesome.
115 dB, uncorrected (C weighted) is easy (at the listening postion 3.6m away). I watched Valkyrie and about pooped my pants when the bomb blew up as the family was in the bomb shelter (don't know the SPL, but must have been at least 110 dB). I swear I felt the room expand and contract from the pressure wave. I don't genereally listen more than about 10 dB from reference, so they're not being maxed out.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I bet!!!!!!!!
115 dB, uncorrected (C weighted) is easy (at the listening postion 3.6m away). I watched Valkyrie and about pooped my pants when the bomb blew up as the family was in the bomb shelter (don't know the SPL, but must have been at least 110 dB). I swear I felt the room expand and contract from the pressure wave. I don't genereally listen more than about 10 dB from reference, so they're not being maxed out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis