The Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 SACD is back.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
1627003137313.png
1627003137313.png
Three years ago I backordered this SACD from Acoustic Sounds. I just read the SACD has arrived, so excited.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow didn't realize it was that long a wait, got mine not too long before that....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wish I had the PS3 version that supports SACD. Been wanting to try 5 channel music. Read that you can rip SACD to DSF which Roon can play but would probably need to get encoded into PCM to go through HDMI on my Pi. That sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Just a matter of whether the blu-ray recorder on my PC can extract the SACD to ISO.

...Dang, need a Pioneer BDP series and I have a Pioneer BDC-207D. Don't have the hardware yet to try this out.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wish I had the PS3 version that supports SACD. Been wanting to try 5 channel music. Read that you can rip SACD to DSF which Roon can play but would probably need to get encoded into PCM to go through HDMI on my Pi. That sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Just a matter of whether the blu-ray recorder on my PC can extract the SACD to ISO.
Yeah the ripping option of multich SACD discs is something I don't have the gear for and my slim PS3 was a bit too new for....so I simply play the discs and have several players that can accommodate. I did enjoy my PS3 as a solid component for years, but replaced it with an Oppo a coupla years ago (also not old enough for the ripping option).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah the ripping option of multich SACD discs is something I don't have the gear for and my slim PS3 was a bit too new for....so I simply play the discs and have several players that can accommodate. I did enjoy my PS3 as a solid component for years, but replaced it with an Oppo a coupla years ago (also not old enough for the ripping option).
I have an ol’ fatty. Imo it was one of the best multi use sources ever. It collects more dust than anything these days, but I still have a bunch of music in it and the thing is just plain smooth. Also had a “move” bundle. That was fun…

S

sterling shoote

...Dang, need a Pioneer BDP series and I have a Pioneer BDC-207D. Don't have the hardware yet to try this out.
I also do not have the hardware to rip SACDs; yet, since the convenience of having DSD files on my computer has not become manifest, I have been content to listen to stereo SACDs via a Sony DVP-S9000ES Player. And, while stereo SACDs impress, thinking 5.1 SACDs might be more entertaining, I purchased an OPPO-205 for multi-channel SACD pleasure. It does not disappoint. In fact, after listening to my favorite music selections in 5.1, listening to them again in stereo is like going back to a Coke gone flat, no fizz.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I used to own a fat PS3, one of the original models that had the complete PS2 hardware backwards compatibility, and it played SACD.

The problem with using PS3 for SACD is that the disc-spinning mechanism is LOUD!

In my experience, any possible benefit was negated by the jet-engine spinning on the PS3 optical drive.

If you had your AV rack in a closet, it would be no problem. I had my PS3 sitting on an open shelf, maybe 8 feet from the listening position, and I could never truly appreciate what SACD brought to the table for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I still have a CECHA01 PS3 in the closet. Yes it plays SACD, but only over HDMI, so it is converted to PCM not direct DSD stream. I don't even recall if it handled multichannel. I used it for a while then bought a Denon 2900 :) And then a few Oppos.

Edit - DSoTM was one of the first SACDs I bought :)

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna make a point of listening to mines (lol) over the weekend.

Looking forward to it. I haven't heard it with the subs in the living room yet and it's been a number of years since I heard it last.

Still rockin' the Oppo 83 John had suped up to an SE. Even that doesn't get used much anymore with all the streaming. Now I can't wait.

S

sterling shoote

Well, it arrived yesterday but the expected performance was not realized. Simply put, the 5.1 mix is akin to a 1950's ping pong like demonstration to sell folks on the concept of stereo. I'm so disappointed because while the spatial sound effects in The Dark Side Of The Moon are are ripe for a 5.1 presentation, this mix does not relate at all to the minds ear for where effects should emanate; thus, this performance is as fatiguing as it is nauseating. Please excuse me while I go to the bathroom to vomit in the toilet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it arrived yesterday but the expected performance was not realized. Simply put, the 5.1 mix is akin to a 1950's ping pong like demonstration to sell folks on the concept of stereo. I'm so disappointed because while the spatial sound effects in The Dark Side Of The Moon are are ripe for a 5.1 presentation, this mix does not relate at all to the minds ear for where effects should emanate; thus, this performance is as fatiguing as it is nauseating. Please excuse me while I go to the bathroom to vomit in the toilet.
Wow quite a reaction (which I don't share). Just what was it particularly and what discs do you find preferable in presentation vs this one?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis