The Boston Experience

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
A Nissan I had in the past came with a Bose system, but I replaced the speakers with Bostons :) But you're right, some of those older, factory stereos were pretty awful. It seems they've come a long way. I have a 2007 Lincoln and its sound system isn't the worst I've heard.
My '06 Magnum has factory Bostons and they don't stink.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The CD format is dying because of MP3 availability and the selling of Mp3 thru legit web/download distributions.
The CD format is dieing for one reason. People are sick of paying $15 for a CD with one, possibly two good songs and the rest just schlocky easily forgetable space filler. People have gone to online MP3 stores so that they can cherry pick and only pay for the songs that they want to hear. Which would make MP3s essentially the 45s of the digital age. The fix is simple. Produce CDs loaded with potential hits. You know, kinda like they did twenty years ago before record producers and bands got lazy and started going after the quick buck.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The fix is simple. Produce CDs loaded with potential hits.
I can think of another fix (which I implied in an earlier post). High quality files for download. I'd still prefer the convenience of an electronic file that can be quickly downloaded versus a physical CD that would need to somehow get from a retailer to myself, even if I was downloading a whole CD.

With internet speeds and portable storage space ever increasing, the "need" for compressed files in quickly dwindling.

Z

ZoFo

Audioholic
Produce CDs loaded with potential hits. You know, kinda like they did twenty years ago before record producers and bands got lazy and started going after the quick buck.
Have not seen that since Led Zeppelin IV.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The CD format is dieing for one reason. People are sick of paying $15 for a CD with one, possibly two good songs and the rest just schlocky easily forgetable space filler.
I have never been much into listening to songs as singles. I prefer to listen to an album all the way through. Some bands are still geared to that, but it is less common than it once was.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That would hold true for vinyl as well but thats not the case

The CD format is dieing for one reason. People are sick of paying $15 for a CD with one, possibly two good songs and the rest just schlocky easily forgetable space filler. People have gone to online MP3 stores so that they can cherry pick and only pay for the songs that they want to hear. Which would make MP3s essentially the 45s of the digital age. The fix is simple. Produce CDs loaded with potential hits. You know, kinda like they did twenty years ago before record producers and bands got lazy and started going after the quick buck.
I think if CDs were sold around the $8 to $10 range, they may stand a chance. But I still feel that the masses dictate convience. I also think that some of the better songs an artist releases are not even played on the radio. I'm not into the hits.

What I hate about MP3s besides the music having the life compressed out of it is that there is no artwork, no lyrics, no info about the band, the producer, where it was recorded etc. Thats all part of the experience for me as well. I can't believe people pay a $0.99 a song without all that inf and it still adds up to $12 to $15 a CD. If CDs die out, I'm going back to vinyl and keep increasing my vinyl collection.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Funniest thing is that before I knew how bad Bose was I never liked their speakers. I didn't like their look or sound, I was a few steps ahead when I found out there was a general hate for Bose among audio techs.:D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
What I hate about MP3s besides the music having the life compressed out of it is that there is no artwork, no lyrics, no info about the band, the producer, where it was recorded etc. Thats all part of the experience for me as well. I can't believe people pay a $0.99 a song without all that inf and it still adds up to $12 to $15 a CD. If CDs die out, I'm going back to vinyl and keep increasing my vinyl collection.
Good points. I agree except for the vinyl part (I will not be listening to vinyl again in this lifetime.)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
have a good one!! :)
I have several large-format books of classic album artwork. That way, I get to enjoy it while enjoying the music in vastly superior CD sound quality.:)

B

bsk116

Audioholic Intern
How often does a company claim to "reinvent" itself? And how many times is it actually true? Boston Acoustics is making a lot of changes - dropping most of their speaker lines, dropping many of their accessory products, and even dropping the "Acoustics" from their name. Reinvention? Absolutely. The new face of Boston was unveiling to us and reported directly to you.

The new products are sad. Personally, I dislike plastic cabinets and it looks like the entire product line is going that way.
I have a pair of VR3's mated to a 10" carver sub with some cheap Yammy surrounds so I should start looking for a Boston center and surrounds. Any ideas besides fee bay?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis