The Best of the Big Three For Cinema

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
I have been following this page for a few months and wanted to get some opinions on what people think is the best AVR brand for home theater. Yamaha, Denon or Marantz. Price range $800 to $1200ish (could save a little more cash and go up a few hundred in price). It is a very general and oversimplified question, but I am really interested in thoughts from those of us who have been at it longer than myself.
Thanks in advance
I am considering:
Yamaha RX-A1080
Denon 3700H
Marantz SR 5015

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have both Denon and Yamaha. I like them both and will purchase either of them as they become available. I think Denon and Marantz are coming off the same factory floor. Same firmware, and a ton of shared architecture. So, a coin flip for me on either Denon or Marantz and the installation I am working on.

At the end of the day, I slightly prefer how Yamaha works. Slightly.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Also have both Denon and Yamaha AVRs, and like both. Really depends on exact models you are comparing.

I do find a lot more control in Denon's Audyssey vs Yamaha's YPAO correction software, YMMV.

To be fair, I do not have current Yamaha YPAO, it may be much better in current versions.

To me Marantz is just the Cadillac to Denon's Chevy. Not wrong, just fancier for a bit more $$.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pick the one that meets your needs best at the best price you can find....with the flavor of REQ you prefer, but I'd compare a Marantz and Denon with the same version of Audyssey (preferably XT32)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Strongly agree that XT32 Audyssey will outperform YPAO, especially when used with the Audyssey App.
I'm in the D&M ecosystem and quite happy with my experience.
Have heard some concerns voiced about protection circuitry in Yamaha when running external Amps... No first hand experience here. Perhaps somebody can clarify? :)

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
Pick the one that meets your needs best at the best price you can find....with the flavor of REQ you prefer, but I'd compare a Marantz and Denon with the same version of Audyssey (preferably XT32)
DO you feel there is any truth to the statement "Yamaha is a more dependable receiver". Also, I like the sound of Yamaha, but as you mention I also feel the Denon might have the edge technologically. This may sound kind of silly, but I am not a huge fan of the Marantz display. Thank you for the feedback.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
Also have both Denon and Yamaha AVRs, and like both. Really depends on exact models you are comparing.

I do find a lot more control in Denon's Audyssey vs Yamaha's YPAO correction software, YMMV.

To be fair, I do not have current Yamaha YPAO, it may be much better in current versions.

To me Marantz is just the Cadillac to Denon's Chevy. Not wrong, just fancier for a bit more $$.

Excellent examples. I have heard the Audyssey is superior to the YPAO, but I am wondering if you feel one sounds better or more clear over the other. Or, perhaps it's all sixes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DO you feel there is any truth to the statement "Yamaha is a more dependable receiver". Also, I like the sound of Yamaha, but as you mention I also feel the Denon might have the edge technologically. This may sound kind of silly, but I am not a huge fan of the Marantz display. Thank you for the feedback.
Never had a Yamaha. Use two Denons currently (along with an Onkyo and a Sony, have had Pioneers in the past). There's a certain industry survey that placed them at top of the list of reliability but never saw any real analysis or detail of the statistics involved. Some anecdotal evidence, and they have probably had better control over their manufacturing than the competition. I wouldn't worry about it in any case.

I'm no fan of the porthole thing either and Denons for the same feature set tends to be better priced...if the 5015 and 3700 are equally priced then you get a superior feature in the 3700 in the way of XT32.....

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
Never had a Yamaha. Use two Denons currently (along with an Onkyo and a Sony, have had Pioneers in the past). There's a certain industry survey that placed them at top of the list of reliability but never saw any real analysis or detail of the statistics involved. Some anecdotal evidence, and they have probably had better control over their manufacturing than the competition. I wouldn't worry about it in any case.

I'm no fan of the porthole thing either and Denons for the same feature set tends to be better priced...if the 5015 and 3700 are equally priced then you get a superior feature in the 3700 in the way of XT32.....
Probably the same person who wrote that statement about Yamaha is now out Bose claiming they are the industry leader in sound. I am going to look at some of the feature differences between the Denon 3700 and the 4700 and decide if it is worth it to wait a little bit longer. I would like to add height speakers at some point but more than likely just a 7.2 for the time being.

I have been considering the SVS prime tower speakers or the ultra bookshelf with their center and some surrounds or perhaps the same type of setup using the Airmotivas by Emotiva. I wish there were a way to hear them before I make a purchase. Then later on down the road I will replace my current 2 subs (Onkyo srround system 12 and Klipsch Surround system 10) with some svs subs. Anyway that is the route I am currently headed. I

I dont want to go too crazy on the AVR so I can get an adequate speaker setup.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Probably the same person who wrote that statement about Yamaha is now out Bose claiming they are the industry leader in sound. I am going to look at some of the feature differences between the Denon 3700 and the 4700 and decide if it is worth it to wait a little bit longer. I would like to add height speakers at some point but more than likely just a 7.2 for the time being.

I have been considering the SVS prime tower speakers or the ultra bookshelf with their center and some surrounds or perhaps the same type of setup using the Airmotivas by Emotiva. I wish there were a way to hear them before I make a purchase. Then later on down the road I will replace my current 2 subs (Onkyo srround system 12 and Klipsch Surround system 10) with some svs subs. Anyway that is the route I am currently headed. I

My only comment about your speaker selection would be to step up to the Prime Pinnacles. Those plus the Ultra center would be the basis of a very good Front 3. ;)
I was very intrigued by the Airmotivs, but in the end, I stumbled on enough info that led me to understand they were not the best speakers in the price point. Also, I have heard rumors that Emo is working on yet another update of these speakers and there have been concerns in the past that they will not support older product once discontinued. Be careful if you choose this latter path.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
. . .

Exactly right! Speakers are where you make your money in SQ. AVRs are literally disposable items. They age out way sooner than a good set of speakers.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
was very intrigued by the Airmotivs, but in the end, I stumbled on enough info that led me to understand they were not the best speakers in the price point. Also, I have heard rumors that Emo is working on yet another update of these speakers and there have been concerns in the past that they will not support older product once discontinued. Be careful if you choose this latter path.
That is very good information. Thank you

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ime all three can make for a great HT hub.
Seems your asking about overall “sound” and it’s been my experience that in using direct and straight modes, they sound the same. The differences will be between audyssey and ypao. As mentioned I find audyssey to be much better than ypao, but the manual EQ can be handy. It as handy IMO, but not as much the audyssey app though. I have a Marantz and do like the look of it. The porthole is pretty much useless, but the symmetrical design appeals to me.
What I’d recommend is if you can get to a place where you can navigate the menu structures, and spend some time playing around.
I hate navigating Yamahas.
D/M are very good, but older Onkyos have been bet for me in that regard. I also dislike Yamahas sound modes, and proprietary language/settings. They have a different way of setting up speakers/subs.
None are perfect but at the end of the day, you have to navigate it, so...

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
My only comment about your speaker selection would be to step up to the Prime Pinnacles. Those plus the Ultra center would be the basis of a very good Front 3.
I really think the prime pinnacle might be the way to go. I have considered Klipsch but it seems like they are over producing and are pretty common place. Personally, I the svs seems a little bit more obscure. Any thoughts on how they might compare in a similar price point. Pinnacle towers are about 7 or 800 bucks.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
I hate navigating Yamahas.
It seems like I have read this before and that the Sound United brands are dialed in as far as user interfaces go. I have a hard time making sense of what manuals are trying to tell me and have not had an AVR new enough to have onscreen programming.

I currently have an Onkyo out of the box 7.1 system. The sound just never seems very good and I cant make out what is best to use for home theater in the DOLBY DTX genre. Im all thumbs. But one thing is for sure, I have had enough.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The only Klipsch we have seen test reasonably well is the RP8000F, and that frankly had problems I would not look past.
If you wanted something like that, I would steer you toward the JBL Studio 5 line when they go on sale (frequently). That would be the budget approach. JBL HDIs would be the pie-in-the-sky approach. :D
Otherwise, stick with your plan of the SVS... you get 45 days in-home to try them risk free! Yes this is built into the overall cost of the product they sell across the board, but their CS is also quite friendly and dedicated to the consumer.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
The only Klipsch we have seen test reasonably well is the RP8000F, and that frankly had problems I would not look past.
If you wanted something like that, I would steer you toward the JBL Studio 5 line when they go on sale (frequently). That would be the budget approach. JBL HDIs would be the pie-in-the-sky approach. :D
Otherwise, stick with your plan of the SVS... you get 45 days in-home to try them risk free! Yes this is built into the overall cost of the product they sell across the board, but their CS is also quite friendly and dedicated to the consumer.
Yea I have heard Gene and others talk about their amazing customer service and 45 day return policy.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes ryan, I’ll take the HDI for 200 please!!!
Those are very high on my list.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yea I have heard Gene and others talk about their amazing customer service and 45 day return policy.
Yes. Their CS is the best in the biz. I know they’ve replaced drivers and amps well out of warranty. That’s been forum members, but still. First rate.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
I need help overcoming my disdain for jbl speakers. Every one I have ever heard sounds hollow and tinny. What sucks for me is I live in Southeastern Idaho and we have zero outlet to go and sample listen to systems and speakers. Perhaps you could compare and contrast between SVS and like a paradigm.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis