The Beast and it's Lair

annunaki

annunaki

Here is my updated room response after the DCX implementation.

It is more "house curve" than flat response, but overall it sounds great. I do have a dip in response to correct though and possibly a bit of phase correction, but overall it works very very well. The results speak for themselves.

I need to add 2db more cut at 42hz though and I will be +/-1.0db from 17hz-48hz or so. I just need to tweak the upper bass response then.

FYI from these levels, I have 20 more clicks on the volume control before I get anywhere close to limits. :D

I may "burp" the sub at 20hz near full output to see what type of output it is capable of. My guess is around 115db+ in my room. I need to make sure the neighbors are out though.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice indeed... I love JL subs, they are expensive, but well worth the money.

annunaki

annunaki

I finally took this enclosure & refinished it.

Sanding off the carpet glue was a pain, but I got it done and I am happy with the results. I used a hammered black finish and it turned out really nice. It looks quite good, even up close. I routered all of the edges with a 1/4" roundover.

Here are some steps of the process:

Enclosure Primed:

Binding post holes drilled:

Finished result:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I will let everyone know how it sounds after I get everything else installed sometime this week. I did some very limited (time and wattage) initial listening and so far it is great, very detailed and transparent.
I have never heard bass described as "detailed and transparent". For that matter, I haven't heard it described as "accurate" or "realistic" either, because that's almost impossible to know. If it sends chills up your spine, hits the way you like and makes the music better in your opinion, that's what matters.

Could that dip be a room mode or at the crossover point?

annunaki

annunaki

I have never heard bass described as "detailed and transparent". For that matter, I haven't heard it described as "accurate" or "realistic" either, because that's almost impossible to know. If it sends chills up your spine, hits the way you like and makes the music better in your opinion, that's what matters.

Could that dip be a room mode or at the crossover point?
The dip is near the x-over point which I have addressed some and response is a bit better now in that area.

Describing bass response is not always easy. :D Realistic can be described a reproducing a live event. The sub does the best at this that Ive heard to date. (stand up bass, plucked bass, low tuned kick drums, etc.)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The dip is near the x-over point which I have addressed some and response is a bit better now in that area.

Describing bass response is not always easy. :D Realistic can be described a reproducing a live event. The sub does the best at this that Ive heard to date. (stand up bass, plucked bass, low tuned kick drums, etc.)
Describing sound is similar to a quote I saw years ago- "Talking about food is like dancing about architecture". The experience is different for every person.

Unfortunately, bad live sound production is where many people develop their sense of how music "sounds". I was at the State Fair last night and the guy doing sound for The Wallflowers clearly had no idea how it would sound where we were. I'm sure it sounded better where he was and if not, he needs to be replaced. The vocals, which should have been clear and balanced (we were directly across the race track from the speaker tower) had wayyyyy too much in the 150-400Hz region ('W' sounds are wooly and over-bearing) and the bass was too strong in several areas. Oh, the bass was making the grandstand rattle, it was strong and didn't sound distorted but it was far from good sound (plus, the D string went flat and the bass player didn't bother to re-tune it). The drums, other than the kick drum, were fine and everything else was listenable but far from the best sound I have heard.

annunaki

annunaki

Describing sound is similar to a quote I saw years ago- "Talking about food is like dancing about architecture". The experience is different for every person.

Unfortunately, bad live sound production is where many people develop their sense of how music "sounds". I was at the State Fair last night and the guy doing sound for The Wallflowers clearly had no idea how it would sound where we were. I'm sure it sounded better where he was and if not, he needs to be replaced. The vocals, which should have been clear and balanced (we were directly across the race track from the speaker tower) had wayyyyy too much in the 150-400Hz region ('W' sounds are wooly and over-bearing) and the bass was too strong in several areas. Oh, the bass was making the grandstand rattle, it was strong and didn't sound distorted but it was far from good sound (plus, the D string went flat and the bass player didn't bother to re-tune it). The drums, other than the kick drum, were fine and everything else was listenable but far from the best sound I have heard.
It is pretty hard to screw up a full acoustic setup with the vocals the only item going through amplification. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis