The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

thumprchgo

thumprchgo

Enthusiast
It isn't a feeling hassled issue, it's more of a being in the tech world over 20 years and seeing manufacturers take shortcuts because doing things properly would take too much effort. It never stops.

I am interested in the fact that you said you can plug a USB drive and get the .ady file that way. That should be documented and the app should 100% be able to do this without the effort of plugging in a USB drive and transferring files to my phone/tablet.

When I first used the app it was 100% garbage. It wouldn't work properly on multiple devices of mine. When the updated it to get the bugs out, it works great now.

Companies rush incomplete products to market, including apps, and it's annoying.
Unfortunately, I no longer work in the Complaints Department— so while I can't solve your complaint, I can totally empathize with your frustrations. I feel them, too.

I've spent days monkeying with a USB drive that had my 4400H Denon AVR config saved to it. I couldn't decode the garbled text.... I admit I was expecting an xml file, but it was output of compiled code and inscrutable to mere humans.

I was able to take an ".ady" file from my tablet, pull it in to that not-fully baked GitHub project called Ratbudyssey, and could modify the file and then upload to my AVR.
I then saved the edited AVR config to the AVR, and then backup the setup file to USB... but it was still garbled text.

So I'll return to my old ways, saving variants of the multiEQ app output, and settle back into my watch-cry from Into the Woods: "I wish the cow was full of milk, I wish the walls were full of gold, I wish a lot of things!" It always brings me back to "no one is alone".

I will never ask you to refrain from voicing what you frustration, I'll keep my grease away from your squeaking wheel. That squeak causes change for the rest of us.

It's in these forums that manufacturers realize the effects their products have on us, and the crap we wade through daily using their stuff. It will be a bit before manufacturers realize what we already love about our powerful mobile devices: the power we derive as a result.

thumprchgo

thumprchgo

Enthusiast
I'd like to save a couple of setups to a USB stick, but tweaking would be on the SE.

Please advise your opinions. Thanks.
I can tell you what I do. Maybe this can help. iPhones work easier with cloud-based structures, USB sticks require a $25 adapter to connect a USB stick. In some situations using this USB in an old fashioned SneakerNet has value (air-gapped laptops, etc, for high security). But they are slow, difficult, and futzy for this purpose...

I duplicate a new calibration file in the MultiEQ app, and save a copy to a folder in iCloud (You can use Dropbox or Google Drive as easily, or "share" the file via email.)

The iCloud saved file can be accessed from my Mac, and my PC. So I'm just cutting out the USB stick-middle-man.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Gents,

I've been skulking around in the background watching this thread, and wondering if this is worthwhile for my Denon AVRX-4400H => if I use it on the latest iPhone SE. I have a 10 year old iPad which doesn't run much of anything current anymore, so I doubt it would run this. I rarely use it, so I'm not into replacing it.

I'd like to save a couple of setups to a USB stick, but tweaking would be on the SE.

Please advise your opinions. Thanks.
Yes you save as many files to a USB drive as back ups to the files saved on your iphone.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing I forgot to mention is that fine tuning the customized target curve like what I and a few others have done would, and should, naturally result in a flatter curve (that one can then be further adjusted easily to their taste) for the MLP but it may or may not improve the response in other positions, such as a few inches to a couple feet off from the MLP in 3D. In my experience, it actually did improve all positions, though as expected, to lesser degree. I think I have a theory on why that is the case.:)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents, sorry I've gotten distracted from this recently. One of my TVs died (a 13 year old 55 inch Toshiba LED LCD.) and my Misses was interested in getting one of our 55 inch Samsungs in the Games Room moved down into the basement where the Toshiba was (she calls my Man Cave - I call it the junk room ) and putting the new TV in the Games Room.

I've been coveting a new larger TV for the Games Room for ages, but promised the Misses I'd hold off until one of the 55s died. When she said let's buy a new one, I jumped on it before her focus changed to something else. I'll post about it elsewhere as not to derail this thread. But plan is I will be buying this app and trying it out on my iPhone SE 2020.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Check the Audioholics event tomorrow about Audussey app editor. There will be some small information about future updates. Audussey is working something new.

M

menardsy

Audiophyte
Hello,

I was thinking about buying the denon avr-s750h. However, it only have MultEq and not XT or XT32. I read somewhere that MultEq (without the app) is not worth it. Is it the same with the app?

Sylvain

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hello,

I was thinking about buying the denon avr-s750h. However, it only have MultEq and not XT or XT32. I read somewhere that MultEq (without the app) is not worth it. Is it the same with the app?

Sylvain
Multi EQ without the app is still pretty good, but the app can help tweak things to be even better.

The receiver you're looking at is pretty basic, but it'll still work well. Audyssey won't do a whole lot though since it's the most limited version. I try to keep my receivers to a minimum of XT.

ddlooping

ddlooping

Enthusiast
Hey peeps :)

Using the app to create custom curves, they are ignored when using Reference and only work with Flat mode (once uploaded to the receiver).
I always thought it was the other way around.
Was I wrong or is my Denon 3600 faulty?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey peeps :)

Using the app to create custom curves, they are ignored when using Reference and only work with Flat mode (once uploaded to the receiver).
I always thought it was the other way around.
Was I wrong or is my Denon 3600 faulty?
You are right, it is the other way around. If you select "flat", it won't use the custom curve.

ddlooping

ddlooping

Enthusiast
You are right, it is the other way around. If you select "flat", it won't use the custom curve.
That's what I always thought but...

I've recently added some rear height speakers to my setup so had to redo the Audyssey calibration.
I then used REW to make some measurements and the Audyssey app to tweak the Front L/R curves and upload it to the AVR.
After having made some more measurements I couldn't see any difference with the previous ones.
"Maybe the changes in the curve are not pronounced enough to have an impact" I thought.
So I went back into the app and accentuated the corrections I had made.
Uploaded the changes, made more measurements : not a iota of difference between the original measurements and the new ones.
Went into the AVR settings for Audyssey, confirmed "Reference" was selected and decided to switch to "Flat" (I couldn't think of anything else to try).
Did some new measurements and voila, all the modifications I had done to the curve were now showing (some even too much because I had accentuated them).

As I said, I always thought Reference was the setting to use when making adjustments to the target curve, but my AVR doesn't agree.

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
It isn't a feeling hassled issue, it's more of a being in the tech world over 20 years and seeing manufacturers take shortcuts because doing things properly would take too much effort. It never stops.

I am interested in the fact that you said you can plug a USB drive and get the .ady file that way. That should be documented and the app should 100% be able to do this without the effort of plugging in a USB drive and transferring files to my phone/tablet.

When I first used the app it was 100% garbage. It wouldn't work properly on multiple devices of mine. When the updated it to get the bugs out, it works great now.

Companies rush incomplete products to market, including apps, and it's annoying.
So you can save it to a USB drive. Email that to yourself and open it in the App?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So you can save it to a USB drive. Email that to yourself and open it in the App?
If it has the right file extension you should be able to do just that. You can edit it with ratbuddyssey on your PC which is much easier than on your phone. Then you should be able to load it from your phone to the AVR.

Email will work, but you can get it to your phone a number of ways. Google drive, onedrive, etc.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It is apparently a bug with some Denon 3600s (maybe other models too)...
That's unbelievable, you would think that such a mistake would have been caught by enough people and by now it should have been corrected. I wonder if the 3600 is the only one that suffers that bug, maybe the sister SR6014 has the same issue too?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you use an Android device, you can easily connected it to a window PC and can copy/paste the Ady files back and forth between the Android device and the PC/laptop hard drives, SD drives as well as any external storage devices connected to the PC via USB, SD cards etc. etc.) as many times as you want.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you use an Android device, you can easily connected it to a window PC and can copy/paste the Ady files back and forth between the Android device and the PC/laptop hard drives, SD drives as well as any external storage devices connected to the PC via USB, SD cards etc. etc.) as many times as you want.
That's what I do. Easy as can be.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's what I do. Easy as can be.
Omg why didn't I think of that?? I've been emailing them to myself!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis