S

Sturner333

Audiophyte
I am looking at these on FBMP. On the back of the speakers it says ‘The Advent Speaker’ . I don’t know much about these. Selling for $150. I can get advent legacies for same price. Again, I don’t know how they compare.Not necessarily looking for audiophile quality but can I get some opinions please

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I am looking at these on FBMP. On the back of the speakers it says ‘The Advent Speaker’ . I don’t know much about these. Selling for $150. I can get advent legacies for same price. Again, I don’t know how they compare.Not necessarily looking for audiophile quality but can I get some opinions please
Can you share the link ?
Advents are fine speakers, but seeing their condition and what might have been done to them is important.
They would definitely have needed at least a refoam, and there is a right and wrong way to do that.
The Legacys are not even in the same ballpark as original Advents.

S

Sturner333

Audiophyte
Can you share the link ?
Advents are fine speakers, but seeing their condition and what might have been done to them is important.
They would definitely have needed at least a refoam, and there is a right and wrong way to do that.
What do you think about the 2 models, legacy vs what I think are earlier’The Advent Speaker’

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
What do you think about the 2 models, legacy vs what I think are earlier’The Advent Speaker’
They were cheaper pale imitations of Original Advents after Advent had been sold to Jensen.

Original Advents are an iconic speaker, designed by Henry Kloss.

S

Sturner333

Audiophyte
They were cheaper pale imitations of Original Advents after Advent had been sold to Jensen.

Original Advents are an iconic speaker, designed by Henry Kloss.
Thanks for the information

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Their woofer cone surrounds only last so long.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I saw a a pair of Advents on FB just now for $150 but no pic of the back (or without grill). Got a link?

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
It sounds like that's the very first Large Advent Loudspeaker. It was replaced a few years later by "The New Advent Loudspeaker" in response to some complaints that the original was a little lacking in air. I owned the first ones and have restored and modified the New Advent. The original was actually the better speaker--its replacement had a big peak in the highs. Both speakers were a little recessed in the midrange and overall have a veiled quality to them by modern standards, but they go pretty low and are certainly better than any other $150 speaker I can think of.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
LOL definitely in good shape, looks like the day in '72 I brought home a pair (but for something like $225/pr)
Yeah....I'm amazed how new these look. And they did the surrounds properly.
First nice system I ever heard was a pair of these with a thumbwheel Marantz receiver and an AR Turntable around 1974.

s-l1600.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah....I'm amazed how new these look. And they did the surrounds properly.
First nice system I ever heard was a pair of these with a thumbwheel Marantz receiver and an AR Turntable around 1974.

View attachment 59817
Mine was with a Fisher receiver and Dual player, but later did get a Marantz 2270 to go with the player/speakers. Very nice system for the money, especially for a high school kid :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis