That Sour and bitter drink

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
This is pretty interesting and I had never heard it before. It came up in my feed a while back and I was kind of skeptical. I tried it though, and it totally works. One drop in my beans when grinding removed not only the dusting from that grind, but actually caused the old dust that was attached to the glass container to de-dust as well.

I can't honestly say I can tell if it tastes any better, but it makes sense why brewing would be improved as well.
I tried it with my prior grinder when static was a problem in the winter months, did little to nothing for me. Switching to my current OXO grinder a year and a half ago proved much more beneficial thanks to a stainless hopper vs plastic.

In addition to my coffeebeandirect.com supplier I've also added to my list of Sumatra roasters.........

kittytowncoffee.com

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard about, but I am doubtful for two reasons:
a) My grinder isn't a single doze, and sprinkling a drop of water into 1 lb of coffee beans will unlikely help. I'm not doing a single doze grinder specifically because I don't want it, as having a bunch of whole beans already sitting ready in the grinder is a major convenience.
b) I would be hesitant to add water to the grinder as it may start or accelerate rusting on the grinding blades. No thanks. I don't have $600 to buy yet another new espresso grinder.

btw:
This is a pretty good deal for an espresso grinder - I have exactly the same model at home, I bought it back in 2018, and am still 100% happy with it.
I have done it since December. I only grind what I will use in the next few days and drip one drop in with that grind. My collector is glass and I store the ground coffee in glass mason jars. My concern originally was causing an issue with the grinder too, but it seems the moisture combines with and goes along with the beans. Too much water might cause a problem, but one drop is working for me so far.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have done it since December. I only grind what I will use in the next few days and drip one drop in with that grind. My collector is glass and I store the ground coffee in glass mason jars. My concern originally was causing an issue with the grinder too, but it seems the moisture combines with and goes along with the beans. Too much water might cause a problem, but one drop is working for me so far.
You approach is sound, but adds an additional step of adding coffee beans to the grinder's collector (which my is plastic) and that adds time to overall getting coffee procedure. Some people enjoy the ritual all by itself and come up with some truly unusual steps, which claimed to improve coffee taste. I will remain in the sceptical camp. each to their own :cool:

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
really bad coffee habits fits both of those.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK...
I use a conical burr grinder I can single-dose, it is the Lelit Fred PL-44. I do not like storing beans in my grinder. It gets cleaned monthly using Urnex Grindz and then opening it up and using some tools and compressed air to clear out any retention that is still up in the mechanism.
Usually about 3 weeks in is when I start to see clumping, minor, but still present.

Today, I pulled out one of my Cocktail Atomizers and filled it with the same water I brew with, RO water from a local water treatment company who I have used in the past for water treatment, and who also maintains a water counter at a local market for filling up jugs with RO water.

My usual espresso routine is a 20g dose. I aim for 14g out in 30 seconds.

I weighed my beans as usual, then using the lid of my hopper, I spread them out. The hopper lid allows all 20g to spread in a single layer without piling or leaving much in the way of holes where I was wasting the spray. I transferred them back to the ramekin I use to weigh them, covered with my hand and shook them about for a moment. I also checked weight, and the 3 spritzes routinely showed a .1g increase in weight.

Immediately I transferred to the grinder and proceeded as usual.

Yesterday, per my experience, I saw some minor clumping. That seemed to be ameliorated today after spritzing each dose.
Something else I noted is that my third of four shots seemed to also cause a breakdown in some of the retention inside the grinder as I noted an additional 2g out of the grinder on that run.

I cannot answer whether this method made grinding "neater" or less messy, partly because that one round of grinding expressed some additional grind and I had a bit of a mess everywhere after grooming and tamping that dose.

As for shot quality, I cannot give an adequate response... I do not have tools like a refractometer to check extraction or anything like that. Subjectively, today was a good day for espresso. Shots were nice, tasted perhaps better than average, and maybe I had a bit more crema in my shots.

Anybody making espresso on a daily basis knows that every day can be an adventure. ;) Weather has a role in this. But this has been a consistently damp and humid week here in NorCal, so frankly, even though it was raining this morning, it was not different today than it was for the past 3-5 days.

I will continue the experiment. I don't relish adding the extra step. I don't deny the ritual aspect to coffee and our daily habit, but agree with the earlier post that some of this goes way overboard. ;)

I am not concerned about ruining the burrs. They are still exposed to humidity in the environment, and the meager amount being added through some spritzing is not enough to do them damage, imo. Keep in mind, the burrs are usually coated to protect them from the acid and oils of the beans. Would a wisp of additional moisture somehow be enough to suddenly change that? :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am not about going overboard. I just want my coffee.

That is correct, there is already moisture in the beans as well, as mentioned in the article. That will vary depending on the bean and roast.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

That is correct, there is already moisture in the beans as well, as mentioned in the article. That will vary depending on the bean and roast.
Amen to that brother, just another reason why I hate Starbucks. I always get stuck behind someone ordering their dbl chocolate, coo-coo mocha latte, frapy whatever !!!

As for store bought, pre ground coffee, Seattles Best #5 and Peet's 'Major Dickinson' are good.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Some people enjoy coffee rituals *cough* Ryan *cough*, but I drink it to enjoy the coffee. This is why I find certain steps I have to follow because I'm cheap but like tasty espresso (like roasting coffee beans in my garage), but others with likely less impact on the result. I'd rather skip, making the whole ordeal quicker and simpler.
I prefer a simple double shot with a bit of steamed milk on top, a.k .a. cappuccino. With my current machine, it's quite easy and fast to get near or better results than those of a high-end coffee shop. It beats anything you could get at Starducks.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve been seeing these stories pop up from time to time. Haven’t tried it myself. Strangely, not a lot of everyday espresso folk seem to be embracing it for the suggested benefit of less mess. *shrugs
Perhaps I’ll give it a shot. ;)
We are just a drip coffee home no espresso or cappuccino. stuff. And its been like that for over, well a long long long time.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
out to dinner last nite and the couple to our right were drinking a 'Expresso Martini'. Never heard of it before, it was made using 'cold pour method' for the expresso ??

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
out to dinner last nite and the couple to our right were drinking a 'Expresso Martini'. Never heard of it before, it was made using 'cold pour method' for the expresso ??
I'll just stick to a beer and I guess James Bond would not approve ;):D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Some people enjoy coffee rituals *cough* Ryan *cough*, but I enjoy the coffee. This is why I find certain steps I have to follow because I'm cheap but like tasty espresso (like roasting coffee beans in my garage), but others with likely less impact on the result. I'd rather skip, making the whole order quicker and simpler.
I prefer a simple double shot with a bit of steamed milk on top, a.k .a. cappuccino. With my current machine, it's quite easy and fast to get near or better than hi-end coffee shop results. It definitely beats anything you could get at Starbucks.
Anybody who roasts their own beans is one step away from prepping H for the needle! :p

I like good espresso and am a trained barista. :) No goat sacrifice involved, no virgin's blood... :eek:

Let's face it, though.

We humans are great at ritualizing just about anything. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's a fad that needs to die, the Espresso Martini. most bartenders I know are loath to make them.

That said, there are many ways to do it. Unlike a Manhattan or Martini, there is no truly codified recipe that I've heard of for making them. *shrugs Keeping Cold Brew as the actual coffee additive is a helluva lot more simple than expecting the bartender to go and get an espresso pulled by someone else on staff, if the restaurant even has an espresso machine!, and then repeating that for the whole table of 8 that orders an additional 7 after the first dumb-as$ does. :p

;)

Anyway, basic gist of it is Vodka, Kahlua, Espresso, simple syrup, shaken... Some people add whipped cream.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
That's a fad that needs to die, the Espresso Martini. most bartenders I know are loath to make them.

That said, there are many ways to do it. Unlike a Manhattan or Martini, there is no truly codified recipe that I've heard of for making them. *shrugs Keeping Cold Brew as the actual coffee additive is a helluva lot more simple than expecting the bartender to go and get an espresso pulled by someone else on staff, if the restaurant even has an espresso machine!, and then repeating that for the whole table of 8 that orders an additional 7 after the first dumb-as$ does. :p

;)

Anyway, basic gist of it is Vodka, Kahlua, Espresso, simple syrup, shaken... Some people add whipped cream.
gotcha .......... and to follow the Margarita lead, the martini glass was laced with brown sugar !

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

;)

Various bars had something like that before. It was called a Turtle, but has Baileys and Whiskey.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Various bars had something like that before. It was called a Turtle, but has Baileys and Whiskey.
When I think of turtles, I think of the candy: Pecans and chewy caramel covered in chocolate.

I could go on a rant about Bailey’s… but how bout bourbon, praline liquor and some crème de cacao to form the base of a Turtle? ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I think of turtles, I think of the candy: Pecans and chewy caramel covered in chocolate.

I could go on a rant about Bailey’s… but how bout bourbon, praline liquor and some crème de cacao to form the base of a Turtle? ;)
I believe the candy is where the name came from for that drink because that was in the image when I looked it up. I had it before in the midwest somewhere, Michicgan, St. Louis or Chicago I forget, and it was good.

It seems there is another, simpler one called the Cafe Toledo, which is coffee, coffee liqueur, Baileys and chocolate syrup w/whipped cream.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis