Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
ned said:
Clint,

Thanks for clarifying. I understand your intent but I still don't get your reasoning as we go thru stages in the adoption of new technology be it like VHS/DVD or not. This is not DVD-A/SACD or Minidisc. This is more like computer is too complicated nobody will buy it. It's just no comparison.

Anyway, I appreciate the discussion .

Thanks.

Ned

Ned
Actually, I think it is very much like DVD-A/SACD. As Clint said, this split is not about which technology is better, it is about the manufacturers getting greedy and not wanting to find a universal format that can be accepted by the masses. This situation confuses consumers.

This may be a stretch, but here goes my LOOSE analogy: If anyone was a fan of IndyCar racing prior to 1996, you can see a similar situation. The sport split into two separate series. So now you have two groups racing in high-tech, open wheel cars. There were differences in the cars, but to the average race fan, they are both open wheel "indy" cars. The sport gets watered down, and today, both series (Champ Car and IRL) are struggling to regain any kind of market share. Casual fans are confused.

Okay okay - a weak analogy, but as a fan of both home theater and open wheel racing, it sure feels similar. We all want the next step in technology in our discs and players, but having two competing formats does not look to be helping things.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I'm starting to think that we're not going to have a problem here, unless you're an early adopter of the technology. For the average person, in maybe two years, the disc player they buy will play all formats, Blu, HD, DVD, CD and cost about the same, maybe a little more, than they do now. After the masses start buying those players (as they won't have much choice but to) DVD media, for renting or buying, will slowly get replaced by HD/Blu media.

Steve

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
avnetguy said:
I'm starting to think that we're not going to have a problem here, unless you're an early adopter of the technology. For the average person, in maybe two years, the disc player they buy will play all formats, Blu, HD, DVD, CD and cost about the same, maybe a little more, than they do now. After the masses start buying those players (as they won't have much choice but to) DVD media, for renting or buying, will slowly get replaced by HD/Blu media.

Steve
If that was the case, your right, but thats not the case or even in a debating technology process yet or in the foreseeable future.
From what I understand is the way there layered and the lasers used for reading them are quite a bit different and wont go both ways as is. And even then, one of the 2 or both together would have to bit the bullet and work together midground someplace for it to happen afford-ably.
People right now are just transforming over in a vast majority to DVD itself, so forcing the issue by presumably what you may have meant by releasing only those types of DVD's, would turn the noses of the consumers RIGHT AWAY, I just finished getting a DVD, now I cant use it. That goes for the rental places as well, pricing hikes, having another format to carry ontop of what they allready do carry, needs more space. Do you risk lower quantities of one format type for another????
This isnt going to be solved in 2 years, no way, no how unless the camps right now bite the bullet,declare peace and work together.One will have to prevail as it stands if they dont concede and join forces This is not like Beta-VHS in one main way, there are allready movies out for home consumers to use at it stands, it isnt new to have, its just better. Before Beta-VHS nothing was wildy available nor had by many!!!!

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
JAD2 said:
This isnt going to be solved in 2 years, no way, no how unless the camps right now bite the bullet,declare peace and work together.One will have to prevail as it stands if they dont concede and join forces This is not like Beta-VHS in one main way, there are allready movies out for home consumers to use at it stands, it isnt new to have, its just better. Before Beta-VHS nothing was wildy available nor had by many!!!!
A good area to watch for how fast the introduction will be is with computer drives. NEC apparently already has a HD-DVD,DVD,CD drive ... though I haven't seen it :( I sure wish they'd bring one out already. Now if they can also licence Blu technology for their drives we're set!

Agreed, this is not really like Beta vs VHS ... more like VHS to DVD, just better. I didn't hear many people complain when rental/retail shops stopped stocking VHS movies as most had a DVD player already and the others, well, they still had 13" TVs so. :eek:

Steve

J

JackT

Audioholic
avnetguy said:

Steve
Yep, I agree.

I believe HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo players have already been demoed. A Blu-ray laser can be used to read HD-DVD discs, BTW, as well as any of the other longer wavelength media (in principal.) It's purely a licensing issue.

Here's a link about Samsung's current efforts (for example):
http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/21/samsungs-hd-dvd-blu-ray-combo-player-just-in-case/

It will be like all those flash-media formats. Or something. (Speaking of flash media; if they develop 50 or 100GB flash media, then it's solid state HD video players baby! You would buy your movie on a little SD card form-factor, or maybe a thumb drive type deal. That's a little ways off yet, though :).

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I love disagreeing with Clint whenever possible... so here we go.

1. Almost all first generation products are buggy. This goes especially so for HDTV and those who may remember the early adopters who jumped on board with the Panasonic model or the RCA DTC-100. The Panasonic especially was prone to a true lockup, at random times, which required a hard power reset for it to work. The RCA box was slow, painstakingly slow. Yet, here we are 7+ years later and people don't remember those pains (unless they still have one of those $1K plus units). Field testing new products is par for the course - HDMI, HDCP, almost ALL Windows Operating Systems... The key is to have some upgradability built in.

2. Format wars is an interesting point as it just doesn't exist right now. There is no real clue about whether HD-DVD or Blu-ray will amount to a real format war. That is, Blu-ray has the potential to decimate HD-DVD starting this fall. Right now, not so much. But, if all 7 major studios step up, PS3 sells (like it should), and stores continue to see real profit margins, there won't be many who are pushing HD-DVD except the Wal-Marts out there - and $500 isn't exactly on the J6P scale.

3. This has been covered but DVD is 480i - HD discs are both 1080p at their core. DVD wasn't a quantum leap compared to LD. But, it was well represented and well marketed. Will consumers be confused? Undoubtedly. But, there are people who buy into the iPod without realizing that if that hard drive fails they may be out 100% of music they paid for! Consumer confusion and potential headaches don't necessitate the failure of a product. As well, most people DO get that CDs aren't DVDs.

4. Well - okay, 100% agree - Studios are greedy and conservative. But, greedy first. The market is there, it is big, and it is growing. DVD sales are down, what is the new catalyst and who will likely be the winner. If 4MM PS3 units are in homes by years end that's a heck of a motivator for studios to take a bit more action on a format they have already agreed to support.

5. The PS2 wasn't marketed as a DVD player, but it didn't stop millions of people from having it, and using it, as their first DVD player - years after DVD had already been on the market! The PS3 doesn't need to be marketed as a Blu-ray player, nor should it be - especially at first. Sales will be through the roof, and game consoles will be impossible to come by. This is an open door and if the PS3 lives up to being an 'average' Blu-ray player it will be a player in 100+ times as many homes than any of the stand alone players. Reports put it closer to 40% usage for movie playback... So, games first, movies second? But, in millions of homes - that's a TON more than other formats have ever done in the first year.

6. I'm sorry - but VHS is still not dead. 10+ years - still there. So, why the sudden rush to eliminate DVDs? The advance in the PC world from CD-R to DVD-R didn't eliminate either format. Likewise, this is the infancy of a new format. The key to the push is not the technology, but a combined effort by all involved players - this includes manufacturers globablly making the product, content being readily, and prominently available. Stores pushing the sales of the product to consumers. The content itself showing a real improvement that adds value to the purchase of the consumer... and of course, reliability.

7. They bought an HDTV, have no content to display on it, and for some reason you think a HD disc player which can make use of the display that J6P bought would be tougher to sell because he has that HDTV? I think that logic is backwards. I fully believe that DVD was one of the major pushers for digital cable. People had seen analog cable, then DVD came along and left it sitting in the dust. So, the great switch to DirecTV began. 100% digital content that looked worlds better. Now we have these digital HD displays and very little content for them... so, the disc technology is now (finally) coming along to put these displays to their full potential. Seems like an easy sale to me (if the price were to come down).

8. The funny thing about enthusiasts is that they NEVER get tired or smarter. Some enthusiasts do, sure, but it is the old guys who are just cynical and write 10 point articles that slam a new format ( ;) ). The Toshiba is selling out, the Samsung is likely to do very well, the Sony and Pioneer Elite, Panasonic, Sharp, etc. are likely to do well... and PS3... whew. So, early adopters will continue to come along - many of whom don't even know what an 8-track is. Others may be a bit more tight with their cash and wait for 2nd generation - but those aren't early adopters anyway.

9. The news media is what it is - but unlike DVD-A and SACD, I have actually HEARD news reports about HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc. That's at least some exposure for these products that likely wouldn't have happenned any other way. I am not troubled by the news that is being broadcast because it is something. It is at least newsworthy, which is more than SACD/DVD-A was. Then it comes to a format war... which I question as being existent.

10. Absolutely - if there would be anything that could kill HD discs it would be HDeTV. Broadband delivery in a Netflix type fashion... Which will happily download to... ??? what? HTPCs aren't there yet. They aren't on the shelf next to DVD players. They aren't integrated with CableCard, there is no way to get HD video throug them (satellite or cable) they are NOT inexpensive, they have no content. So, while I think there are two major HTPCs that are cutting edge in the X-Box 360 and PS3, the lack of an industry even seeming to exist for it yet will make it several years in the development - and is likely the one to come after Blu-ray... if Blu-ray shows as a success.

CONCLUSION:
All that said, and I am not 100% convinced of any guaranteed success of Blu-ray. I am convinced that Blu-ray will not lose out in a format war, though both formats may survive. I believe that HD-DVD has a huge advantage with pricing right now as well as their actual use of advanced codecs. But, Blu-ray has a lot more... Pricing, down the road could be eliminated rather quickly. CODECs as well are just semantics which can be dealt with by releasing dual layer discs or switching up to advanced codecs. But, Blu-ray has the studios AND manufacturers AND a better profit line for stores. It all combines to spell success...

IF - and that's a big if - it all actually happens. Studios need to release movies. HD quality needs to be delivered at the highest levels. All listed manufacturers actually need to release players/recorders (Sharp, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, LG, etc.). PS3 needs to do exactly as expected and forcast... and needs decent games to go with it. Finally, pricing needs to come down over the next 1-2 years to put it in line with DVD.

You may commence with my beating now. :D

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Well isn't that the bright side!!!

avnetguy said:
....For the average person, in maybe two years....
I added the emphasis.

2 years as in 2008? That's alot of burnt dlp bulbs until some HD shines on the screen.

Last edited:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
JackT said:
It will be like all those flash-media formats. Or something. (Speaking of flash media; if they develop 50 or 100GB flash media, then it's solid state HD video players baby! You would buy your movie on a little SD card form-factor, or maybe a thumb drive type deal. That's a little ways off yet, though :).
There are projecting 100GB media will be available next year. :)
I'm just waiting for some company to release a video camera (and HD ones hopefully) that uses flash memory, seems like a perfect combo.

Steve

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
I'll take first whack as consumer Joe.

1. Almost all first generation products are buggy. This goes especially so for HDTV and those who may remember the early adopters who jumped on board with the Panasonic model or the RCA DTC-100. The Panasonic especially was prone to a true lockup, at random times, which required a hard power reset for it to work. The RCA box was slow, painstakingly slow. Yet, here we are 7+ years later and people don't remember those pains (unless they still have one of those $1K plus units). Field testing new products is par for the course - HDMI, HDCP, almost ALL Windows Operating Systems... The key is to have some upgradability built in.

Agreed first generation/beta products are buggy. First HDTV's very, very few knew about, so no excitement in the air. They just came in slowly and did there thing. And using Windows for a analogy, is a bad thing, they still havent gotten it right, still buggy as ever and its a never ending upgrading pull your hair out system. I'll stay with my Linux, thank you, buggy yes, crash and wipe out all my info, nope!!!!!

2. Format wars is an interesting point as it just doesn't exist right now. There is no real clue about whether HD-DVD or Blu-ray will amount to a real format war. That is, Blu-ray has the potential to decimate HD-DVD starting this fall. Right now, not so much. But, if all 7 major studios step up, PS3 sells (like it should), and stores continue to see real profit margins, there won't be many who are pushing HD-DVD except the Wal-Marts out there - and $500 isn't exactly on the J6P scale.

While the battles havent been fought a of yet, diplomacy is right out the window for the makings of one. You say Blue Ray has the potential, key word, has, hasnt yet and HD-DVD has allready grown to 45 gigs showing it can and will attempt to grow and adapt. What says they dont have something up their sleeves and Sony again at the last minute delays again?

3. This has been covered but DVD is 480i - HD discs are both 1080p at their core. DVD wasn't a quantum leap compared to LD. But, it was well represented and well marketed. Will consumers be confused? Undoubtedly. But, there are people who buy into the iPod without realizing that if that hard drive fails they may be out 100% of music they paid for! Consumer confusion and potential headaches don't necessitate the failure of a product. As well, most people DO get that CDs aren't DVDs.

Misinformed people will always exist. And no most people dont know DVD's are not the same as CD's. I get alot of , since your in it, why wont my DVD play in my CD player. There are still hoards of people who never want as it stands, a computer!!!

4. Well - okay, 100% agree - Studios are greedy and conservative. But, greedy first. The market is there, it is big, and it is growing. DVD sales are down, what is the new catalyst and who will likely be the winner. If 4MM PS3 units are in homes by years end that's a heck of a motivator for studios to take a bit more action on a format they have already agreed to support.

5. The PS2 wasn't marketed as a DVD player, but it didn't stop millions of people from having it, and using it, as their first DVD player - years after DVD had already been on the market! The PS3 doesn't need to be marketed as a Blu-ray player, nor should it be - especially at first. Sales will be through the roof, and game consoles will be impossible to come by. This is an open door and if the PS3 lives up to being an 'average' Blu-ray player it will be a player in 100+ times as many homes than any of the stand alone players. Reports put it closer to 40% usage for movie playback... So, games first, movies second? But, in millions of homes - that's a TON more than other formats have ever done in the first year.

Wouldnt key on that!!! Sony has lost its standing place in gaming since they couldnt get it together for the last Christmas. Millions of microsoft haters are now reformed will call it, since they had there piggy banks full for a new gaming system, didnt come fourth, held onto those banks for spring, didnt happen, got T'ed off and bought the Xbox. Unless the PS3 can do wonders, there not gonna scrap what they have, which was semi misleading and not backwards compatible to take the risk again this soon. And if it doesnt fly right off the handle, studios arent gonna rush off and who said Microcrap doesnt have something up there sleeve for upgrades and drops in prices to make that tougher?

6. I'm sorry - but VHS is still not dead. 10+ years - still there. So, why the sudden rush to eliminate DVDs? The advance in the PC world from CD-R to DVD-R didn't eliminate either format. Likewise, this is the infancy of a new format. The key to the push is not the technology, but a combined effort by all involved players - this includes manufacturers globablly making the product, content being readily, and prominently available. Stores pushing the sales of the product to consumers. The content itself showing a real improvement that adds value to the purchase of the consumer... and of course, reliability.

No comment really IMO. I got VHS tapes by the hoards that I dont use now so I didnt and still wont jump onto DVD-R.

7. They bought an HDTV, have no content to display on it, and for some reason you think a HD disc player which can make use of the display that J6P bought would be tougher to sell because he has that HDTV? I think that logic is backwards. I fully believe that DVD was one of the major pushers for digital cable. People had seen analog cable, then DVD came along and left it sitting in the dust. So, the great switch to DirecTV began. 100% digital content that looked worlds better. Now we have these digital HD displays and very little content for them... so, the disc technology is now (finally) coming along to put these displays to their full potential. Seems like an easy sale to me (if the price were to come down).

Its not gonna make it easier either!!! More time is spent by consumers watching broadcast TV by a vast margin than DVD watching which your comment about rentals going down, proves that point. Why???? Its not HD being a reason, its other factors, like people are more on the move these days or whatever. Yes full potential would be nice, but if cable and sat etc, along with more pay per view in HD comes out, why bother with rentals.

8. The funny thing about enthusiasts is that they NEVER get tired or smarter. Some enthusiasts do, sure, but it is the old guys who are just cynical and write 10 point articles that slam a new format ( ;) ). The Toshiba is selling out, the Samsung is likely to do very well, the Sony and Pioneer Elite, Panasonic, Sharp, etc. are likely to do well... and PS3... whew. So, early adopters will continue to come along - many of whom don't even know what an 8-track is. Others may be a bit more tight with their cash and wait for 2nd generation - but those aren't early adopters anyway.

Whats selling now is limited numbers, smaller amounts than the limited enthusiasts, who's to say it spreads.

9. The news media is what it is - but unlike DVD-A and SACD, I have actually HEARD news reports about HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc. That's at least some exposure for these products that likely wouldn't have happenned any other way. I am not troubled by the news that is being broadcast because it is something. It is at least newsworthy, which is more than SACD/DVD-A was. Then it comes to a format war... which I question as being existent.

Thats more detrimental having it covered than not. If no one knew, didnt talk amongst others, the news wouldnt spread negatively like it is now. Then if it came unbuggy working, new, you wouldnt be hesitant as much to purchase.

10. Absolutely - if there would be anything that could kill HD discs it would be HDeTV. Broadband delivery in a Netflix type fashion... Which will happily download to... ??? what? HTPCs aren't there yet. They aren't on the shelf next to DVD players. They aren't integrated with CableCard, there is no way to get HD video throug them (satellite or cable) they are NOT inexpensive, they have no content. So, while I think there are two major HTPCs that are cutting edge in the X-Box 360 and PS3, the lack of an industry even seeming to exist for it yet will make it several years in the development - and is likely the one to come after Blu-ray... if Blu-ray shows as a success.

OK say the industry releases that within 2 years, this HDeTV was going to be real and working on it. Think that would help HD- DVD's in the least after all this, whats going on now!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Weird - I'm not able to quote you on that Clint...

DVD is 480i though - it's the only way it is stored... Unless you know something different than I do, DVD frames are individually stored at 720x240pixels (not 480 pixels) which are then decompressed to a 720x480i single field. They are not stored as a full frame 720x480 progessive field. The only way to put two frames together as a fully deinterlaced single frame is through deinterlacing which is notably poor on the majority of DVD players on the market.

If DVD were natively progessive 480p then movies would be way easier to deal with by players - but they aren't. Geez though, I've done about 20 hours of research to get the DVD format and how content is stored straight in my head... so I would prefer a technical discussion of the facts on DVD storage vs. something inaccurate again. MPEG2 though it is full frame compression, has to live in a world with DVD which uses single interlaced frames. Of course, the sources which I have been reading from could all be wrong... which I would accept correction on. :)

From working with files and the DVD format I can tell you that film, encoded on the disc, is 720x480 - full frame and all pixels. 480 interleaved field lines. I deleted my last post because I knew I'd get into it with every person who's ever talked about 480i and DVD in the history of the format.

Bottom line - mpeg-2 is a full-frame-style compression format and there are 480 lines on the disc/24fps when encoded from a film source. The issue was with making the original players compatible with what was an interlaced (NTSC) display media - standard definition TV. So while the technical format on DVD is commonly referred to as 480i - there are 720x480 pixels there for reading (480 active scan lines)... That's 480p in my book with the right player - not 240p.

All your Google research will say otherwise (480i), so I wasn't in the mood for a challenge and off-topic thread discussion...

This is only an issue (or rather, the only reason I even brought it up) because we're not comparing 240p vs. 720p/1080p when we talk about SD DVD vs. HD DVD.

The best source for info that I've seen is here.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Long response removed and new thread started about DVD encoding - could use your insight and experience Clint - cuz' I want this straight in my head. If I sound like a smart arse with my responses it is because I'm trying to clarify.

F

FRANKTREN

Audiophyte
Bob: Very inteerested to know the brand of your 37" LCD TV. Assume it is widescreen.
FRANKTREN

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
ironlung said:
Actually I would like to thank Clint, Gene, Tom and the staff at audioholics and even the members for tolerating all my nonsense. I hope some enjoy my humor.

I recently signed up to be able to post over at tivo community(as Ironlung). They were not so receptive to my mannerisms. I was banned for life by my third post.

There was a thread on the 3 armed baby in Asia. I think I said something about having the nickname 'tripod'. Next thing I knew....Banned for Life!

Again a big non sarcastic thanks to the AH community for letting me hang around.
Your the only reason I'M still hanging around....

...and the quality reviews and articles by the staff........ :rolleyes:

SheepStar

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
Clint,
I'm sure you've seen this already but I didn't see it anywhere in the thread. Cnet picked up you article under one of Molly Wood's daily commentary as a reference. Just thought it was interesting to see the audioholics site scroll across the screen. Great article and glad to see other others noticing some of the genious that goes on here.
Respectfully,
Andrew

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6546718.html?tag=cnetfd.blog

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Wow. Audioholics is being referred too by tech news shows. Great job, good article. I've heard two podcasts today both referring to this article. Again, good job.

B

bobgpsr

Enthusiast
FRANKTREN said:
Bob: Very inteerested to know the brand of your 37" LCD TV. Assume it is widescreen.
FRANKTREN
If this was directed to me, then I have a Sceptre x37sv Naga since last Sept. It goes for around $1600 I think now from Costco. Yes it is 16:9 aspect ratio.

Bob

hazydave

Audiophyte
Clint DeBoer said:
Bottom line - mpeg-2 is a full-frame-style compression format and there are 480 lines on the disc/24fps when encoded from a film source. The issue was with making the original players compatible with what was an interlaced (NTSC) display media - standard definition TV. So while the technical format on DVD is commonly referred to as 480i - there are 720x480 pixels there for reading (480 active scan lines)... That's 480p in my book with the right player - not 240p.
That is correct. DVD media actually supports three formats: 480/60i, 576/50i, and 480/24p (technically, 59.97i and 23.976p).. it's up to the player to convert for the target you've chosen, via 3:2 pulldown, or more advanced techniques on today's players.
Clint DeBoer said:
This is only an issue (or rather, the only reason I even brought it up) because we're not comparing 240p vs. 720p/1080p when we talk about SD DVD vs. HD DVD.
No... but we still are talking about up to 6x the spatial resolution on HD. I've personally made over half a dozen high definition DVDs from my own video shoots in the last six months (encoded in WMV/HD format, which plays on PCs and some high-end DVD players, such as my IOData player and it's JVC sold twin). Full 1080i, much less 1080p, is very compelling compared to 480i or 480p, and I think people who are minimizing the difference either don't use much real HD, or aren't wearing their glasses. Or they're just not video-oriented people.

With that said, I'm sticking to red-laser HD discs until the dust settles on the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing. I think they've done that introduction less cleverly than the SACD vs. DVD-Audio format war, and probably deserve their failure handed to them. They don't realize its we early adopters that are responsible for launching new formats in the marketplace, but as well, that we're among the best informed of consumers. For example, I've been following the next-gen DVD race/war for about five years now, despite the fact they're only just now shipping (well, Sony did put out an MPEG-2 only Blu-Ray recorder in Japan two years ago, but it was integrated into a satellite STB, and wouldn't play the final discs they're releasing).

-Dave

D

DonTobin

Audiophyte
Disagree

1 - CDs and DVDs were not immediately adopted by the markets, there were and will always be people who claim today's old and busted technology "gets the job done just fine".

2 - Irrelevant - the separate formats were devised because the DVD Forum and a group of members disagreed this has nothing to do with gaming consoles outside of Sony being smart enough to realize people won't want to require 10 DVDs to play a single game 3 years from now.

3 - Consumers did NOT arrive in droves when CDs were released in 1982 (read: 1983), optical storage has been around since the 60s and that particular format took 4 years from 1979 to 1983 before it was released by Philips and Sony. The adoption of DVD took even longer after format release - a fact touted by Clint in this very article when he tries to point out that some people only just converted to DVD but conveniently forgotton for this paragraph. Where's the copywriter?

4 - rofl, the studios are responsible for much of the investment behind both HD DVD and Bluray. This argument is so contrived it makes me think of fascist information ministers. $35 wha? Go to amazon and do a search for hdvd or bluray, the movies are $15-$30 most new at $24-29 with the balance ending up at $15-21 and the market hasn't even BEGUN to crunch prices yet. Hell many people pay $20 for a DVD at Walmart or Best Buy already this argument is a sad red flag for no real research done.

5 - The PS3 isn't being touted or marketed as a Bluray movie player, it's being marketed as a gaming machine with a really big optical storage mechanism. We hope it can play movies, seeing as an HD DVD player or Bluray player is basically a linux box in this first generation.

6 - The 90s are over, Can't Touch This and Seether are not hits atm. It's true those who own the content hold power over the consumers, but we don't live in the closed boardroom 70s or the secret bank account 80s things are more transparent today than ever before. The support for SACD and DVD-audio never had 1/100000th the support either HD DVD or Blu-ray has monetarily, politically, or from a consumer enthusiast viewpoint.

7 - Anyone who reads this paragraph and feels enlightened is a shmoo-lemming hybrid.
[paraphrase]The difference between DVDs and high definition DVD formats is less of a difference than the difference between SDTV and HDTV.[/paraphrase]
No **** Sherlock. As for consumers not buying a product because they've been burnt by not enough HDTV content - that's simply laughable. The market condition where consumers feel shock due to asymmetric knowledge (used cars et al) is a great example from the economics texts available but people weren't burnt at all in most cases there's plenty of broadcast HDTV around and nobody felt burned once they realized they simply had to upgrade to the high def receiver. The HDTV mandated days approach, we don't have to be upset it isn't pervasive just yet.

8 - Somewhat true except that media formats aren't the same as televisions (where using the term "early adopter" makes sense). In this case the smart consumers will wait until a clear winner has been decided or the prices come down to their threshold for investment pain. This will not, however, determine success or failure one way or another so long as a certain break even point is met.

9 - Oh how cute, an ego prod. Was Clint burned when SACD came out? Are we trying to recover some lost innocence or credibility here?

10 - IPTV and service oriented media delivery systems will not simply be absorbed by people who suddenly all have petabyte storage devices, they will increase demand for high definition writers (HD-DVD or Blu-ray). A fact admitted in the latter half of that paragraph which goes against his very premise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis