J

jonoke

Audiophyte
Hi,

I know Tekton is not a corporate manufacture, but still, you'd think they would be more interested in talking about their products. They are so NOT like Decware who are similarly a small manufacturer, but there website is jammed packed with information about their products.

I was interested in the Double Impact because I'm after a high efficiency speaker upgrade as well as the great reviews and then discovered there's an upgraded version, the SE, but all it says about it on their website is that it's an upgraded Double Impace. Not helpful.

So I thought, I'll email, and I got an response that basically said, it's an upgraded Double Impact, and please refer to the website for details. Super not helpful.

Has anyone found any more detailed info on the Double Impace SE.
Jonathan.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I looked at Tekton pretty hard early on. Had some good conversations with Eric, too. He's a little wacky (in a good way :) ) and I still want to hear them sometime, but I will likely never be a customer.

The Upgraded Speakers are including all the extras he sells (or used to)... so more expensive XO components (meaningless), Mil-Spec wiring (meaningless), upgraded drivers where applicable (possibly worthwhile), and Cardas Binding Posts (cool, but worthless).
I think I've heard that he's now offering a separate upgrade to Be Tweeters, also... Dunno if that is part of the Special Edition.

Now... These will not test out as High Sensitivity as advertised, most likely. Yes, they will likely be at least 94dB, I'm guessing, but not the 98or more that used to be spec'd. I have also heard a lot of discussion about their actual accuracy: They are not. This is not to say they don't sound good. People like them, and I suspect they are good performers... but I personally like a speaker that is proven to be flat FR, and accurate sound reproduction.
It has been said that these do not have the best dispersion, either.

In general, this is a leap of faith purchase. And when things sound too good to be true... :) They likely are.

I am not saying this to talk you out of pursuing it. But I walked away when it was decision time because it was a lot of money on the table and no way of knowing what I was getting ahead of time. I cancelled my plans to go to UT and audition the gear and went in a different direction.
I have no regrets.

And as I said, I would still really like to hear them, but I will not buy! Moreover, I am glad he is successful in his endeavors.

J

jonoke

Audiophyte
Thanks Ryanosaur.

Yes I agree: it is a lot of money - and the interest is generated by the enthusiastic reviews. It's not like I don't have good speakers now: I do, Monitor Audio PL-300s. But I've been interested in moving to Tube SET amps with high sensitivity for a long time. I have read in a couple of places that the Tekton are not as easy to drive as the quoted sensitivity suggests.

Jonathan.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Ryanosaur.

Yes I agree: it is a lot of money - and the interest is generated by the enthusiastic reviews. It's not like I don't have good speakers now: I do, Monitor Audio PL-300s. But I've been interested in moving to Tube SET amps with high sensitivity for a long time. I have read in a couple of places that the Tekton are not as easy to drive as the quoted sensitivity suggests.

Jonathan.
Wish I had money for those speakers, pendragon is also appealing but double impact is better .. are they bass heavy or just very loud. ???

J

jonoke

Audiophyte
Are you asking about the PL-300? If so, I wouldn't say there are bass heavy - they play the bass that is there ... and they can definitely go low. I don't listen loud - when I try it louder, I hit my ear limit WAY before I hit my amp/speakers limits.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are you asking about the PL-300? If so, I wouldn't say there are bass heavy - they play the bass that is there ... and they can definitely go low. I don't listen loud - when I try it louder, I hit my ear limit WAY before I hit my amp/speakers limits.
I meant to comment earlier... I’ve been a fan of MA for a short while. Had it not been for my run-in with Philharmonic Audio, I very likely would have purchased MA Silvers.
The Platinums are supposed to be end-game speakers! ;)
I don’t imagine that Tekton is going to live up to the SQ in any way. ...Though I get the allure. ;)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Unfortunatelyy no way to know without testing out a tekdon speakers they have some cheaper ones like lore, pendragon, a hate or love brand probably loud like pro audio stuff . If I had money I’d go pendragon but psa are close . Probably impressive ran full range don’t think anything else goes flat to 20hz.

J

jonoke

Audiophyte
Yeah the PL-300 are great ... definitely no complaints: I love them. It's just I've got that itch for the SET amp sound.
The MA are 90db sensitive which is from what I have read is sort on the border of acceptable for low watt tube amps ... maybe I should try to find a SET amp owner who would like to come and hear it through the MAs. I'll have to get my room adjusted first as I've just moved an I live in a reverb chamber! :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah the PL-300 are great ... definitely no complaints: I love them. It's just I've got that itch for the SET amp sound.
The MA are 90db sensitive which is from what I have read is sort on the border of acceptable for low watt tube amps ... maybe I should try to find a SET amp owner who would like to come and hear it through the MAs. I'll have to get my room adjusted first as I've just moved an I live in a reverb chamber! :)
I’d expect tekdons to blow most hifi speakers out of the water in total sound output , but details and fine sound effects I got no clue ..but impacts and perfect 15 have tons of tweeters drivers probably amazing . Wish more review were done on these for our information...
if you like big Massive towers tekdon, jtr , psa , monitor audio ive not heard either...
I’m using Klipch icon I cannot turn them up too loud or it’s overpowering.
There’s a Beringer 15” mega thread on Avs forums tons of people using those for dynamics in movies / music .
Pro drivers get better each year

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh boy, yeah you have some really nice speakers with those PL-300s! It's gonna be tough to beat those, tho I get why you're after higher sensitivity. I'd definitely want to hear a Tekton before committing to buy for sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or if you're digitally setup for such, you could use a plug in to simulate the tubey sound, or vinyl, etc....

J

jonoke

Audiophyte
On the poor response side ... I asked for a shipping quote 6 days ago, still no response. Hopeless.
Actually, I asked for a quote for delivery to Sydney, and they came back needing the actual address, and the name of the nearest airport! What??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On the poor response side ... I asked for a shipping quote 6 days ago, still no response. Hopeless.
Actually, I asked for a quote for delivery to Sydney, and they came back needing the actual address, and the name of the nearest airport! What??
They likely aren't regular exporters, probably/maybe getting a quote from their forwarder?....and that's probably gonna be expensive these days. I can only imagine how many quotes forwarders must be going insane with these days (my old trade). Glad I'm retired :)

Last edited:
J

jonoke

Audiophyte
O.M.G.
Or they are just completely incompetent. Here's the email chain - top posted, read it from the bottom.

On 4/30/21 1:41 AM, Tekton Design wrote:
Jonathan,
I will be happy to get you a shipping quote. I will need the exact shipping address as weel as the closest international airport so that I can get a quote from the shipping company.

Best,
Tamera
On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 5:37 PM Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Hi,
I'm still interested in getting this shipping quote
Jonathan

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021, at 6:59 AM, Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Hi,

the shipping address is
xxx Old Princes Hwy,
Engadine NSW 2233

The airport is Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport.

thanks
Jonathan.

On 4/23/21 7:05 AM, Tekton Design wrote:
Good Afternoon Jonathan,

Thank you for your recent email. In order for me to give you an accurate shipping quote I will need to know the following:
What is the shipping address that we are shipping to?
What is the name of the closest international airport?

If you can get this information to me I will be able to secure a shipping quote for you.

Sincerely,
Tamera

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 5:02 PM Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Hi,
could you please give me a quote for shipping a Double Impact SE (with grills) to Sydney, Australia.

Thanks
Jonathan.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is the Universe telling you this may not be the right Speaker. ;)
I told you there was a reason I walked away, and it didn't just involve finding very good Speakers in a local audition.

J

jonoke

Audiophyte
Yeah, I replied that person should show the email to Eric, and that I'm no longer interested in Tekton speakers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Kind of seems like a simple chat-bot response.......

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
They got a LOT of mileage out of that Stereo Times review.

I'd still love to hear a pair of DI's with my own ears someday, but nothing has popped up close to my home at all.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I really want to see somebody get their hands on one and publish real measurements. Perhaps we need a kickstarter campaign to fund sending a pair to the NRC!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis