Tekton Double Impact?

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Hi, I just read and saw a few videos about these speakers...
Wild claims about “I sold my $30k speakers for these...”
I can’t audition these, so I was wondering if they can be compared to something I know.
I own B&W 683, I like B&Ws. (I’m thinking about getting 805 S or 803 S.
I do not like Paradigms.
I like Legacy Audio Signature SE, Some Totems and PSB and some Kefs.
Do these speakers sound like any of the one I mentioned?
Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even if I had, would my opinion about how they "sound" be relevant? I didn't like the B&W 68x series personally so....

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
If something seems too good to be true it generally is. I've never heard those speakers, so I can't say for certain what they sound like, but typically breathless hyperbole doesn't translate into real-world performance. Tekton has been around for awhile, so they may be nice speakers, but it's probably an evolutionary step as opposed to a revolutionary one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now if you'd post about Salk or Philharmonic speakers, bet you'll have a lot more input from users.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Tekton Double Impact speakers are actually pretty good. I heard a pair myself at the last AXPONA, and I liked them. The tweeter grid is using a bessel array to control dispersion, and there is plenty of literature out there that validate this design approach. Tekton's many claim are mostly nonsense, but what they are doing with bessel arrays is pretty cool. This has been verified by Stereophile's measurements of the Double Impact which are quite good. I could easily live with a pair of these speakers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The reviews for these are very high. Not just proffesional but consumers. Online and YouTube reviews as well. I have always been so curious about these speakers. No way I'll jump onto the bandwagon without a serious sit down and listen.

I'm still learning how to properly measure so I'd need to see that done as well. Sounds like from what Shadys seeing and the measurements there not all hype and may be legit.

Someday I'm going to find a way to listen to a pair. But I love my SVS Primes and want to try out the Ultras. If I love those as much as the Primes that's as high up the food chain as I want to go.

Hopefully some owners can chime in. Like I said I'm super curious about those speakers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So who's going to TOFTT? :) Come on, only $3k.
I'll get back to you Lovin... I'm traveling soon to visit family, and have been considering laying over a night in SLC just to meet Eric and hear the speakers.

I know there's been a lot of speculation about his gear, but I'm curious. My dad is an engineer, and myself, I'm a Chef. Innovation is important. I make some stuff differently than Escoffier, and people love it. Am I right, or just another egotistical SOB that thinks he's the sh!t? Eric is doing something different, and most seem to like it. By all accounts he's busier than he can handle! That's a good sign.

If I'm considering $1250-1500 speakers, which I am... why not consider his? Monitor Audio Silver 500s or Martin Logan 60XTs? If his sound better, then I'd be stupid to not consider! Salk and Philharmonic too, ya?

Hell, I might still try Emotiva. But could they please make them any uglier?! :p

Regardless, thought this was insightful from four years ago: tekton pendragon loudspeaker questions
Look for @ptalar 's input. Would be interested to know what he thinks today?

Besides, if Eric has a pair of those Ulfberts on hand... well that would be worth the trip just to see those! 77"Tall!... "Now What Did I Do With That Extra $9K?" Or, "The Wife Will Fire My Sorry @$$!"
Or these. :eek: I can't even begin to brain it. broken. 25 drivers each. SMDH

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So who's going to TOFTT? :) Come on, only $3k.
Interesting, at the time of measurements Stereophile mentioned a price of 2k/pr.....
TBH, The only thing Tektons have is a long established history of making claims for very high sensitivity speakers. The linked Stereophile measurement is the absolutely first time I've ever seen any measurements of any Tektons. I guess it's not much of a priority to them or actually the first time their speakers measured well enough to be allowed to be published. You decide.
For 3k/pr there are tons of really awesome and battle proven options like above mentioned Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend and many, many others. I'd personally not take such big gamble.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting, at the time of measurements Stereophile mentioned a price of 2k/pr.....
TBH, The only thing Tektons have is a long established history of making claims for very high sensitivity speakers. The linked Stereophile measurement is the absolutely first time I've ever seen any measurements of any Tektons. I guess it's not much of a priority to them or actually the first time their speakers measured well enough to be allowed to be published. You decide.
For 3k/pr there are tons of really awesome and battle proven options like above mentioned Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend and many, many others. I'd personally not take such big gamble.

Well, I don't see a Stereophile review. I do see a Hometheaterreview.com review from March 2017 indicating they got the first pair and mention the $3k price also.

The claims I've read for a while (both sides :) ). If I had a way to listen to them I'd do so, but that's not too likely. I had my chance I suppose a few weeks ago when I noticed an ad in Craigslist for some Tektons and believe they were these Double Impacts, someone was selling for about $1k I think it was, maybe $950? but with a blown driver (think it was a tweeter he mentioned). Just didn't appeal to make a 2 hour drive to check them out. That's about as close as I'd get as far as TOFTT goes, I have too many speakers now and not really interested in just a stereo pair either.

We'll see if @ryanosaur makes a trip to the factory and what his impressions are. I can wait :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
:)
Read this:
https://www.tektondesign.com/double-impact.html

Then decide whether or not you would support the person who wrote it.
Whoooooaaaahhh theres a lot of big fancy words in that thing statement um advertisement? Lol. Shame really if there as good as people say they sound should be no need to throw out all the hype like he has. Probably why he catches some flak. That had the opposite effect on me I read that and just had red flags of caution popping off all in my head. I'd want to hear them see them measured against other speakers in there price range just to see if he can back those claims up. I sure wouldn't want to just take a blind risk. Let the product speak for itself. But when your trying to get your name out there I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to gain attention. It's just those are some big bold statements and pretty wild claims. Sooner or later someone is going to call him out to back those claims up. @ryanosaur. your our one great hope!!!!! Lol:)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hang 4 of those monsters from the ceiling to match the 7 on the floor!!! 7.2.4 :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was searching to see if there are other 3rd party measurements of ID speakers since there are few.

Here is a 3rd party measurement of $13K Salk:

Somebody (like Shady) please correct me here.

Does that look like the response is +/- 7dB from 500Hz to 10kHz?

Is it +/- 5dB from 1kHz - 10kHz?

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I was searching to see if there are other 3rd party measurements of ID speakers since there are few.

Here is a 3rd party measurement of $13K Salk:

Somebody (like Shady) please correct me here.

Does that look like the response is +/- 7dB from 500Hz to 10kHz?

Is it +/- 5dB from 1kHz - 10kHz?
It's apples and kiwis time. This isn't a quasi-anechoic measurement. It's a room measurement with a wider sampling window and all kinds of room effects. You have to smooth the trend. The plot is about as good as a speaker can get with that kind of measurement. The only real departure from linearity on the Exotica 3 is a
3 dB bump at 15 kHz, which is typical of dome tweeters. That doesn't even show up on this measurement. I guess it got lost in all of the room effects. In any event, the interesting measurements in this review were the ones for harmonic distortion, which, as I recall, were the lowest the reviewer had recorded.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis