Tekton Double Impact?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing about Klipsch's over-inflated sensitivity specs. :D
Sensitivity is a specification that can change depending on the way it is measured. Klipsch does inflate their sensitivity, but there is so much variance that can occur depending on measurement technique that I don't regard that as a huge deal. Most competently designed loudspeakers have enough dynamic range for most people who have common AVRs/amplifiers. If you want speakers for parties, karaoke, reference level home theater, or something like that, it becomes a more significant issue, but the speakers made for those applications are usually adequate for those tasks as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sensitivity is a specification that can change depending on the way it is measured. Klipsch does inflate their sensitivity, but there is so much variance that can occur depending on measurement technique that I don't regard that as a huge deal. Most competently designed loudspeakers have enough dynamic range for most people who have common AVRs/amplifiers. If you want speakers for parties, karaoke, reference level home theater, or something like that, it becomes a more significant issue, but the speakers made for those applications are usually adequate for those tasks as well.
So it's normal to have a variance of 6-7dB on the Sensitivity Measurement?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So it's normal to have a variance of 6-7dB on the Sensitivity Measurement?
6 to 7 dB is a pretty significant difference, but it can happen depending on how sensitivity is measured. For example, some manufacturers just measure sensitivity at 1kHz and state that as the speakers's overall sensitivity, but what if the speaker has an impedance dip at 1kHz? Some companies just state whatever their simulations say and don't really test sensitivity. Some companies test sensitivity using an anechoic chamber, some use groundplane testing (I do groundplane), and there may be differences between these and other acoustic environments. Klipsch states their sensitivity modified for 1/8 space if I remember right, which is a pretty ridiculous "in-room" spec. Here is a great article from Audioholics on the subject.

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Thos
Interesting, at the time of measurements Stereophile mentioned a price of 2k/pr.....
TBH, The only thing Tektons have is a long established history of making claims for very high sensitivity speakers. The linked Stereophile measurement is the absolutely first time I've ever seen any measurements of any Tektons. I guess it's not much of a priority to them or actually the first time their speakers measured well enough to be allowed to be published. You decide.
For 3k/pr there are tons of really awesome and battle proven options like above mentioned Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend and many, many others. I'd personally not take such big gamble.
Those were not Double Impact I think.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thos

Those were not Double Impact I think.
ah, yes. Stereophile have measured it's smaller sibling- Impact Monitor. Still, 3k for a pair of speakers is a lot. I highly recommend you to buy only stuff you heard yourself or can easily return.

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
I’m just scare of a Definitive Technology fiasco again...
I purchased the Supercube Reference because it went down to 11hz... 1800w... so they claimed... apparently it only got to 20hz... the 11hz was barely audiable.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love it, it goes more than low enough for my taste, and I only have it dial up to about 25%.
Everyone that hear the Double Impact seem to love them.
I was thinking about getting B&W 803s used for about the same money, but if these are that much better??
I’m not a fan of neutral sound, I know headphones, I tried the Shure 425 SE and hated them! People say that’s what neutral is, so I guess I don’t like them.
I have the Fostex TH900mkii, and I love them, sometimes the highs are too high for my taste, but I like them 1000x better than the shure. People say these are “bright”

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
ah, yes. Stereophile have measured it's smaller sibling- Impact Monitor. Still, 3k for a pair of speakers is a lot. I highly recommend you to buy only stuff you heard yourself or can easily return.
Will they be available at Costco, Sams Club or BJs one day? LOL

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Will they be available at Costco, Sams Club or BJs one day? LOL
Not BJs or Sams Club, but don't entirely disregard Costco - If they could find these speakers cheap enough and there is sufficient demand - who knows. They are known to sell Hi End consumer brands on occasion.
They used to sell Omega before they got actually sued for this, but even today over 1k watch on Costco is a thing: https://www.costco.com/Charriol-Celtica-Stainless-Steel-Case-Mens-Watch.product.100389347.html?langId=-1&krypto=nMwACJbVcOSDPJ+TDd+W7OJzMLaWUGBieAOQ3j9zrS9x+msj9u563RGFM5m6Z3hfN7gxgp6VgEVLG0HqF0uJeBK0ptZT6vpRG2ndm3OwSZUgBPkyuvwcxDA0ZgrgfRVk0/jAp94yU1Dcb3MDgxBf6She8bkTnjFQC0IEaAtsXxL/taNpcK2V/5kLxXOtrEhkyWUFvHfmF+QcxBO7L630yyi7U1NEv0qgnjXB7e7ApDndsNictccLfd5tjH4StdcHdA1Vg4s209PmzEcQtnyUrA==

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Tekton, as well as, Philharmonic, Salk, Ascend, and a few others can usually point you in the direction of a customer somewhat near you that is willing to demo a product FWIW. Personally I’d prefer speakers with a more traditional alignment than most of the tektons, that’s not to say others are bad by any means.

ALSO deftech subs, with 2 exceptions, are not good and never take their measurements seriously.
Where are you located?

The CBT speakers here are an excellent value for a non traditional speaker
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/big-cleanup-sale.112786/#post-1273749

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What kind of store calls itself BJs? :) Seriously, what is that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Steamers for a crab joint I can understand....but BJs Wholesale? (looked it up, assume that's the one).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur. your our one great hope!!!!! Lol:)
For the love of humanity, I sure as hell hope not! ;) Maybe if I had the gear to test them, IF I buy in... I don't know that all my years as a Classical and Jazz trained Saxman would matter, other than just answering the question of whether they sounded good to me.
(If I buy in, the answer is yes.) Ha!
Still excited at the prospect of going into his place and hearing a pair... but then I'm still excited to go to Marin and hear the Monitor Audio Silver 500s. Even If I don't like them.
Anybody know a good bar in Salt Lake City?:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Up here in Sonoma county there is BJs brew pub. People get sick. Nuff said.
Am familiar with those, Tanforan Mall in San Bruno had one. Went once after work with some friends, that was enuf! Might make more sense for a bar tho :)

Last edited:
Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
I was just paying closer attention to the Double Impact on photos.
Why do the drivers look so cheap? Specially the woofers?
They have that cardboard on top in case you want to mount them the other way? (Not in the surface but inside the cabinet)
Are they off the shelf cheap drivers not even made by them?
Also no double post for biamping?
They look very cheap.
Is it about the cabinet construction/design and placements of the drivers?
They don’t look like they are worth $3k... but I guess if the sound is that good...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Am familiar with those, Tanforan Mall in San Bruno had one. Went once after work with some friends, that was enuf! Might make more sense for a bar tho :)
If you don't mind that itchy-burning rash afterwards. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis