Techwood Pro Studio Speaker set for 200 worth it?

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I've been looking to find a really good deal on speakers, and I came across a pair of Techwood Pro Studio Speakers for 200 (250 if i buy the amp too, but the model isn't listed
Screenshot_20181111-023355.png
). I've done a little research on eBay and whatnot to see what these things go for, but considering that I have absolutely no money saved for it and wasn't planning on getting anything, I wanna see if these speakers are a good deal. I wanna be able to resell them for more. I won't, but I want the option. If you have any experience with these speakers, your comments will be very appreciated.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
What are you going to be using the speakers for? Music? Movies? A big room? A small room? Stereo or surround?

If your answer is that you want old, ugly, big, crappy speakers that were sold in rent-to-own stores only, then these are for you. If your answer is in any way different, then skip these pieces of junk.

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
What are you going to be using the speakers for? Music? Movies? A big room? A small room? Stereo or surround?

If your answer is that you want old, ugly, big, crappy speakers that were sold in rent-to-own stores only, then these are for you. If your answer is in any way different, then skip these pieces of junk.
Thanks. Small room (though bass extension matters to me a lot. I have a subwoofer, but it doesn't do the music justice when I have it on). For music. Keep in mind that 200 is pretty much already past the limit for me for now for what im willing to spend and i understand most things at that price will be junky. I have a decent pair of speakers that I use already (though i cant tell you what they are because i haven't been able to find them anywhere). And I have many projects that I'd like to begin soon as well that I'd rather put money into right now.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
What subwoofer do you already have?

If your budget is limited and your room is small, look for quality bookshelf/standmount speakers, not low-quality big speakers.

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. On a side note, hey, I think I've seen you around on this site before. A few times actually.
What subwoofer do you already have?

If your budget is limited and your room is small, look for quality bookshelf/standmount speakers, not low-quality big speakers.
The 15 inch Dayton audio model. Dayton audio sub1500. The amp is the Dayton audio apa150 if that matters. I've listened to a few bookshelves and even the ones that got reasonably low were underwhelming to me. They didn't have much impact compaired to three ways, and no matter how hard I tried, i couldn't get the sub to sound nice with them. My previous bookshelves were the wharfdale diamond 10.1s and i ended up giving them to a friend because i liked the crappy pair of jensons I got at a thrift shop so much more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. On a side note, hey, I think I've seen you around on this site before. A few times actually.
Yeah, hang out here a bit. :)

The 15 inch Dayton audio model. Dayton audio sub1500. The amp is the Dayton audio apa150 if that matters. I've listened to a few bookshelves and even the ones that got reasonably low were underwhelming to me. They didn't have much impact compaired to three ways, and no matter how hard I tried, i couldn't get the sub to sound nice with them. My previous bookshelves were the wharfdale diamond 10.1s and i ended up giving them to a friend because i liked the crappy pair of jensons I got at a thrift shop so much more.
Not all three ways are created equal. I'd rather have a quality two way than a poor three way. Those are poor speakers period, you said you wanted to at least get your money out of them and that I'd consider to be a very optimistic outlook if you bought them. Not sure what you mean by impact particularly, tho....

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, hang out here a bit. :)

Not all three ways are created equal. I'd rather have a quality two way than a poor three way. Those are poor speakers period, you said you wanted to at least get your money out of them and that I'd consider to be a very optimistic outlook if you bought them. Not sure what you mean by impact particularly, tho....
I don't have a huge amount of experience with different speakers honestly. I've just recently gotten into the world of good sound about a year ago. As for impact, you know the characteristic snare drum sound? Listening to the same music at the same volume on most three ways just has more of the percussive quality of a snare than on most two ways in my experience. That being said, I've only listened to one good set of two ways and one good set of three ways (though the three ways were still objectively much better). I drove an hour and a half to listen to the klipsch corner horns at ovation for ten minutes and those things were well worth the drive.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I drove an hour and a half to listen to the klipsch corner horns at ovation for ten minutes and those things were well worth the drive.
Do you mean Klipsch Cornwalls? If so - they are legit great speakers. Unfortunately $200 won't buy you Cornwalls or anything even remotely on the same level.
You still may get a very good sound at your very limited budget, but you'd need to buy a bit of wood glue and soldering iron. Then put some work in towards building this kit:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/overnight-sensation-mtm-kit-each/
or here:
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-audio-speaker-kits/home-audio-size/home-audio-bookshelf/overnight-sensations-mtm.html
Glue is cheap: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-III-16-oz-Ultimate-Wood-Glue-1414/100522343
and Solder iron you could borrow if you don't have one.

Last edited:
B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
Do you mean Klipsch Cornwalls? If so - they are legit great speakers. Unfortunately $200 won't buy you Cornwalls or anything even remotely on the same level.
You still may get a very good sound at your very limited budget, but you'd need to buy a bit of wood glue and soldering iron. Then put some work in towards building this kit: https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-audio-speaker-kits/home-audio-size/home-audio-bookshelf/overnight-sensations-mtm.html
Glue is cheap: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-III-16-oz-Ultimate-Wood-Glue-1414/100522343
and Solder iron you could borrow if you don't have one.
I need a soldering iron for and old sta-95 I want to refresh anyways, so it's no biggy to me. And yes, I probably do mean those. Six grand a piece and can be run off the audio jack on a cell phone with reasonable volume.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I need a soldering iron for and old sta-95 I want to refresh anyways, so it's no biggy to me. And yes, I probably do mean those. Six grand a piece and can be run off the audio jack on a cell phone with reasonable volume.
at 6k each they are more likely to be these:https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn-floorstanding-speaker
Rated at 105db 1W/1M - even if they are 10db overrated (not unusual for Klipsch to do) they still could absolutely play very loud from a headphone jack of a modern smartphone. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html - shows 107db SPL from a 5ft distance, from a pair of these with 1 Watt of amp power

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
tempest are cool of course and share some of the design ideas with Klipsch horns, but at $330/ each before flatpack, these are "a bit" more expensive option.
Cheaper than a good pair of legacy/heritage type Klipsch usually....

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
tempest are cool of course and share some of the design ideas with Klipsch horns, but at $330/ each before flatpack, these are "a bit" more expensive option.
While I don't doubt those sound amazing, with the kind of music I listen to, I'd have to fiddle with getting a subwoofer to match those speakers. I also have yet to find a spot in my room where I dont have a node on one side of my head and an antinode on the other. I dont have that problem using two speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I don't doubt those sound amazing, with the kind of music I listen to, I'd have to fiddle with getting a subwoofer to match those speakers. I also have yet to find a spot in my room where I dont have a node on one side of my head and an antinode on the other. I dont have that problem using two speakers.
What extension/spl goals for the speakers do you have?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Using multiple subs may help with room modes. Better integration gear could help, too.

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
What extension/spl goals for the speakers do you have?
Spl is pretty much whatever. Loud is better, but it isn't absolutely neccesary. I'm pretty happy with the extension I currently have of around 32 hz. I've been looking at a pair of Polk audio 7c's for eighty bucks. 25hz is the bottom end on those (according to the spec sheet which seems pretty fanatical for the box size) and they're supposed to sound pretty nice as far as i can tell online.

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
Using multiple subs may help with room modes. Better integration gear could help, too.
Maybe the reason I can't match the sub to anything is because I just assumed I wouldn't need integration gear lol (I'm not clear on what it means, but im guessing it helps to cross over the speakers and/or sub).

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Save your money and get a pair of the JBL LSR305's or even 308's.

Otherwise, you would likely be happier with one of those 200+watt bookshelf systems put out by Sony, Panasonic, RCA etc. Plenty loud, with plenty of bass and great for difficult rooms and they don't sound half bad, especially for the budget you are "willing" to work with. They will typically have a multi CD changer, inputs for phones etc., Bluetooth and a host of built-in streaming options as well by now. I had an RCA model I used at work for years and it jammed well in my shop and got plenty loud with plenty of thump.

Here's one similar (probably no longer available by now, but similar to what's out there) with a subwoofer. I would at least give them an audition and see if it would tide you over until you decide whether you're actually serious about this hobby or not.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis