Teac Reference Series

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Or if any other member can help with the above question, thanks very much. :)

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Also if i buy the A-H300 and the PD-H300 will i need the remote control cables to get the CD player working with the A-H300s supplied remote? thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry I missed these posts, I've not been on audioholics daily for a while now.

It is fortunate for you that you live in the UK, because they have a lot more of this stuff there.

They have offered the AG-H300 in at least two finishes that I know of, champagne and black. I believe it is the same for the PD-H303 and PD-H300. The 200 series components came in silver almost exclusively. The 500 series is trickier, and while they seem to offer champagne as their only finish, but it's inconsistent.

The remote cable is just a simple phono cable, but it's not necessary to use it. The remote for the receiver will also control the CD player without the cable connected.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Sorry I missed these posts, I've not been on audioholics daily for a while now.

It is fortunate for you that you live in the UK, because they have a lot more of this stuff there.

They have offered the AG-H300 in at least two finishes that I know of, champagne and black. I believe it is the same for the PD-H303 and PD-H300. The 200 series components came in silver almost exclusively. The 500 series is trickier, and while they seem to offer champagne as their only finish, but it's inconsistent.

The remote cable is just a simple phono cable, but it's not necessary to use it. The remote for the receiver will also control the CD player without the cable connected.
Thanks for the reply Seth, so i take it the original mk 1 version of the 300 is champagne but looks gold in some pics? thanks very much.

I have bought the A-H300 i have just go to wait for it to be delivered, its the original version not the silver or black, i dont know why but i prefer the champagne to the silver/black even though they are newer, also they only made the minidisc in champagne and for me a MD player is a must and i like it to match.

Thanks loads,

Adam.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Sounds like you're on your way to midi bliss.:)
I hope so, then again i remember listening to one years ago and it sounded good, and that was with some crappy stock speakers and cheap cables, so i have a feeling i will enjoy it lots once i have it set up the way i want and all the bits for it (cables etc), next is the matching cd player, just got to decide if i want the single disc player (PD-H300) or the triple disc player(PD-H303) as both a around the same price on ebay, the 303 is on there for £60 buy it now, its a manufacturer refurb with 6 months guarantee.
What is your opinion Seth, would you go for the single or triple disc?

Thanx very much. :)

Adam.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Ooooooh its arrived, my A-H300 (gold) is here, it looks new (was a refurb), this amp looks beautiful i must say, just how i remember it last time i seen one 10 years ago in comet, cant wait to get the CD player now, just tried it with my technics minidisc player, sounds nice, crystal clear and loud for an amp this size, very pleased :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ooooooh its arrived, my A-H300 (gold) is here, it looks new (was a refurb), this amp looks beautiful i must say, just how i remember it last time i seen one 10 years ago in comet, cant wait to get the CD player now, just tried it with my technics minidisc player, sounds nice, crystal clear and loud for an amp this size, very pleased :D
I am truly envious of your geographical location. If I was where you are I would be so overloaded with midi components I could open my own shop.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
I am truly envious of your geographical location. If I was where you are I would be so overloaded with midi components I could open my own shop.
Lol i know what you mean, iv been on ebay and the T-H300 AM/FM tuners have been going for around £10, even though i don't want a tuner iv been tempted at this price, but thought i will hold off and get a CD player or MiniDisc recorder next, they even do a DVD player and CD recorder to match, as well as a DAB tuner :D
all thats missing is a power amp, wish this A-H300 had a set of pre-outs ;)

Adam.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I stumbled upon a site that might be of interest:

http://www.audiorama.com.br/teac/

One can (by clicking the links in the area at the left) see various components from different series (e.g., Reference 100, Reference 300, etc.), with pictures and specifications.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Finally my Teac PD-H300 is here to go with my amp, am so happy.

Next is a Minidisc player to match.

Adam.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Heres a better image i took of my pride and joy bedroom system...

Adam.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
Very nice. I actually have a teac ag-h550 that i use at my cubicle at work.Have it paired with nht sb1's.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Very nice. I actually have a teac ag-h550 that i use at my cubicle at work.Have it paired with nht sb1's.
Thanks, these little champagne boxes are great, i was thinking if a Reference 500 series myself, will get one in the future once i have moved house as i will have another room for a small system.

Not heard or seen the nht sb1's before, just looked them up on google and must say they look very nice.

Once i have a MD deck to match im going to put some time into stripping a Ref 300 tuner and turn it into a Squeezebox v3 deck to match.

Adam.

S

Steve_MF

Audiophyte
Great thread Seth :)

I've been looking for a small system with decent sound and build quality and 'happened' upon this thread via Google.

Lots of info and great images.

As you say,the UK is a good place to pick up used gear at reduced prices and that's exactly what I've done!

Rather than getting a system piece-by-piece on eBay I decided to pay a little more and get all I need from one seller - paid a little extra but can't argue with the condition.

DV-H550 DVD player
PD-H550 CD player
AG-H550 5.1 Amp.

Not had a chance to try it all out yet but I did plug the CD player into my main rig (MF 308 pre/power,Kef Ref 4.2 speakers).

I paid more for the interconnects from CD to pre-amp than I did for this whole system but,as silly as the comparison goes, the little Teac didn't let itself down too much :eek:

Sure,it's no VRDS (and certainly no match for my main CD player - MF A308CR) but it's certainly far better than I expected for the money - 1/20th the price but a LOT better than 1/20th of the sound.

It loses out on low bass,midrange 'richness' and a top-end sweetness that some expensive CD players bring to the game but it is perfectly enjoyable to listen to and deserves better than the Mission speakers I was going to use this with.

All in all,a happy Teac reference owner :)

Oh yes,a quick question for you PD-H570 users - I received no instructions with this little lot (most of it is common sense) but how do you load the 7 discs?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The PD-H570 uses an internal magazine loading mechanism. When a disc is ejected and you press "disc skip" the tray retracts, switches to the next disc in the magazine, and ejects again. The PD-H570 seems more robust than most CD changers designed like this. Another popular manufacturer of magazine loading CD changers was Nakamichi. They called their disc changers "Music Bank" and the concept is virtually the same. Pioneer, Kenwood, Philips and other manufacturers had ejectable magazines prior to the more streamlined designs seen in the Teac PD-H570 and the Nakamichi Music Bank CD changers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm now sitting pretty with a solid collection of Teac Reference 500 series components. I have an A-H500 integrated, AG-H550 5.1 surround receiver (with preouts all channels), the PD-H570 7 Disc CD changer, and an RW-H500 CD recorder.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
I'm now sitting pretty with a solid collection of Teac Reference 500 series components. I have an A-H500 integrated, AG-H550 5.1 surround receiver (with preouts all channels), the PD-H570 7 Disc CD changer, and an RW-H500 CD recorder.
Some very nice units there, once i move house this/next year i will build a 500 series, i wouldn't mind the A-H500i amp with the single disc player and MD recorder hooked up to a pair of Dynaudio DM2/6 :D

S

Steve_MF

Audiophyte
The PD-H570 uses an internal magazine loading mechanism. When a disc is ejected and you press "disc skip" the tray retracts, switches to the next disc in the magazine, and ejects again. The PD-H570 seems more robust than most CD changers designed like this. Another popular manufacturer of magazine loading CD changers was Nakamichi. They called their disc changers "Music Bank" and the concept is virtually the same. Pioneer, Kenwood, Philips and other manufacturers had ejectable magazines prior to the more streamlined designs seen in the Teac PD-H570 and the Nakamichi Music Bank CD changers.
Thanks for that. :)

While waiting a reply I contacted the nice folk at Teac UK who replied within hours with a PDF of all instructions.

I've since hooked up the amp to Kef ref 4.2's - overkill!!

They're very current hungry speakers but the amp seemed to cope well with 2-channel music especially considering it's an AV amp.

Rather than hamstring the system with small standmount speakers I've souced some nice condition floorstanders - Acoustic Energy AE 109's - not sure if they were ever available Stateside but they were really good speakers when new at 300 GBP - at 75 GBP they've gotta be a bargain!

I've had a look around various places at extra 500-series components but I'm not really sure if i'll add to what I have - yes,it would be nice to add a stack of matching boxes but I won't ever use MD or cassette and the amp has a built-in FM tuner.

So,I think I'll stick with what I have for now and perhaps expand into a centre channel + surrounds (plus sub) for a cute little 'entertainment' system.

Again,thanks for the thread :)

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
I wasn't going to get a tuner but i just did, the Teac T-H300 in champagne/gold (not the DAB version) to match, best of all i paid £5.50 (yes FIVE pounds lol) for it off ebay lol, thats the only reason i bought it, i don't really listen to radio but for that price i will give it ago.

Adam.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis