jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think a few of the members here could learn a lesson or two in how to be tactful. Everyone's opinion is valued (if you don't feel that way, then there's something wrong). However, the best way to go about getting respect for your opinion is NOT outrightly bashing others, resorting to personal insults, and making ignorant, sweeping claims. If we all lacked tact, this wouldn't be a healthy forum. So those of you who are, I think you've got some learnin' to do.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You know, I agree... up to a point.

I'm not a salesperson and I'm not trying to make someone feel good about making a poor decision, or a really stupid move. There are people who coddle others when they go out and make a purchase and then come back and ask if their stuff is any good.

The truth is not always 'nice', but sometimes a person will go "Really? I can return it and get something else." But, if people beat around the bush before just getting to the point, then sometimes people miss the 'return by' date and can't make a more informed decision.

I know I come across harsh sometimes. I lack finesse when it comes to writing things out. It bugs me to a point, but I just don't know how to say politely to someone that I think they are making a poor decision. On the other hand, I (for one) try to avoid making comments about a poor decision they made if they didn't ask for it.

I find that this forum is much better than others that I have run across though and name calling seems to be very low, or at least very limited. The rules here are MUCH more lax than other sites (cough: avsfor....) in that we can openly discuss some pricing and good deals and make recommendations. This is highly valuable to those asking and looking for great prices or sites to help them out.

Bashing others is wrong for sure. Pointing out someones errors I don't consider rude or wrong, but helpful for all. A 'heated debate' about a subject doesn't bug me at all either. Calling you a douchbag for making this post... ;) Well, that would be wrong and completely inappropriate...

and not the way I feel at all. :)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
jaxvon said:
I think a few of the members here could learn a lesson or two in how to be tactful.
This is an example of tact? :rolleyes:

jaxvon said:
...the best way to go about getting respect for your opinion is...
I don't agree with this. Respect is earned. One should not go seeking it.

jaxvon said:
If we all lacked tact, this wouldn't be a healthy forum. So those of you who are, I think you've got some learnin' to do.
It is not your place to judge others. Punk. ;)

Regards

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
You all are a bunch of ignorant sheep. (no offense, sheep)

See? Sweeping, condescending remarks can be valuable. To me. Ha.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
This thread should go in the THREAD HALL OF FAME!!

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
I know I'm new to this forum, but I gotta say I just LOVE every member equally and without bias............Chicklets?..........hmm! :p

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Geez, people complain about the use of acronyms when they don't understand them, but how about all these 'emotional' shortcuts, some of which are already represented on this thread.

I can understand aaahhh or aha (like 'Oh, I see')
I can perhaps understand bah (expressing disdain for an idea, like bah-humbug on that- i disagree)

But MEH drives me crazy! What is that supposed to mean? Is that supposed to be the written equivalent of a sigh?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Meh would be a verbal thing, usually associated with nonchallance.

Example: You work in an office and your boss comes in and tells you that if you don't fix a security hole in your network fast everything will crash and the company will be screwed. You can either

A. Care, and respond with something like, "OH MY GOD I'LL GET RIGHT ON IT!!!"

or

B. Not care, and respond with, "Meh.".

"Meh" can also be used to express disinterest or aggrivation with a situation. The above example can still be applied.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckle-meister said:
Actually, it should be Baa!

Mutton-head. ;)

Regards
Mutton-Head???? Actually I have a crew cut.
And MDS made a good point Bah, or Baa could be used. But I had meant more of the Baa over Bah...
But it works good anyhow you Grinch....

Buckle-meister

brian32672 said:
Mutton-Head???? Actually I have a crew cut.
And MDS made a good point Bah, or Baa could be used.
No, it can't. Bah, as has been noted, expresses disdain for something. Baa is the noise sheep make, regardless of whether or not they've been shorn. ;)

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Well I'm not sure if disdain is the word to use about that.
But anyhow, your still a Grinch, Bah

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Did I mention this was a thread for the hall of fame? I would now also like to vote for this thread for the MOST INFORMATIVE and MOST USEFUL categories!! A multiple winner :D :D

Buckle-meister

jaxvon said:
...your boss comes in and tells you that if you don't fix a security hole in your network fast everything will crash and the company will be screwed. You can either

A. Care, and respond with something like, "OH MY GOD I'LL GET RIGHT ON IT!!!" or

B. Not care, and respond with, "Meh.".
If B, maybe he would think you were pretending to be a sheep. :rolleyes:

Regards

Last edited:
Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Sorry, I disagree...

jaxvon said:
Everyone's opinion is valued (if you don't feel that way, then there's something wrong).
To paraphrase a line in an old anti-PC book, there's a world of difference between putting a man on the moon and a bone through your nose.

If some mindless simpleton suggests using bell-wire as power cord because it "opens up the midrange" or some such other cr@pola, he, she or it deserves whatever they get...

jimHJJ(...tact?...we ain't got no tact!...we don't gotta' show no stinkin' tact!...)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
None of yous jerks have any tact. Yous has got to be all classy and stuff like me to haves any tact. Sometimes my belt matches my socks even.

On a side note I think we are all showing some tact. We've let the Scottish guy go on and on about the sounds sheep make and not one of us has cracked a joke. I would never have let any of my Scottish buddies here get away with that. At least 6 sheep jokes popped into my head, not one has been typed Buckle-meister, I am one tactful SOB.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
This is a most informative thread. If it weren't for jaxvon I would still be scratching my head everytime I see 'meh'. Getting more edumacated everyday...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis