Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
MB27s run by some amp off pandaman’s TV. Hope that’s not too technical. Sounds freakin killer. After about 10 years of surround duty, these little speakers finally get their time to shine.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

Rotel RB 981. The Variable setting on the analog audio out on the TV … duh. No receiver required. Got some fuzzy wuzzy action on the screw holes on the bottom of the cabinets.

Curved cabs from PE btw. Swerd built. Dennis Murphy design.

Tunes and stuff via a gen 2 firetv.

Finally

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the GR M130 woofer. Seas or maybe Morel tweeter? Those curved cabinets are pretty nice actually. I have a few of those woofers laying around still from when I rebuilt my A/V-2s. I was going to build them and even bought cabinets, but I already have more than enough speakers sitting around lol. I have a pair of the gen 2 BR1- based AAs from Dennis that are going unused.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like the GR M130 woofer. Seas or maybe Morel tweeter? Those curved cabinets are pretty nice actually. I have a few of those woofers laying around still from when I rebuilt my A/V-2s. I was going to build them and even bought cabinets, but I already have more than enough speakers sitting around lol. I have a pair of the gen 2 BR1- based AAs from Dennis that are going unused.
That GR mid is the stuff of legends at that price point. It's a Seas 27TFFC tweeter in this mix: also pretty cheap. Having Swerd put the sweat equity into them: Priceless.

Dennis has a MB20 that uses a Morel MDT20 tweeter. Both of these designs are about bringing the cost down from an MBOW1 which is what I really really want. Well, I mean this side of a kit that uses the OW1 tweeter and a Revelator mid called the Carrera by Paul Carmody.

I bought a stock BR1 kit off Gene way back. It's funny how it all sounds good until you hear better. It all looks good until you see better. The curved gloss black cabinets I have are not piano finish but they're still better than what I could produce ... ever. Now you can't buy them. The girl let them live on the dresser for months without even being hooked up! Serious WAF, right there.

Does anyone think it would make a noticeable difference to get the equipment to use a DAC outside of the TV?

The reason I ask is there are a couple of things that are missing from how a couple of parts of that album Brothers in Arms are suppose to sound. My streams come through in CD quality and I don't wifi anything. All hard wired.

EDIT: Yeah, there's enough noise that I can hear it at the MLP ... when it's quiet. The digital audio out on the TV isn't subject to the volume control.

Damn. I need a rec'r.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That GR mid is the stuff of legends at that price point. It's a Seas 27TFFC tweeter in this mix: also pretty cheap. Having Swerd put the sweat equity into them: Priceless.

Dennis has a MB20 that uses a Morel MDT20 tweeter. Both of these designs are about bringing the cost down from an MBOW1 which is what I really really want. Well, I mean this side of a kit that uses the OW1 tweeter and a Revelator mid called the Carrera by Paul Carmody.
Not too long after the MB20 speakers were designed, Morel stopped making the MDT20 tweeter. If I remember, it cost somewhere less that $40. The new Morel replacement cost more than double.

So Dennis found a good substitute with the Seas 27TFFC tweeter. Both the GR mid-woof and the Seas tweeter are still available today. But not those cabinets.

I've always liked those MB27 2-way speakers. When I built them, I spent a good hour or two listening closely to them, comparing them directly to my CAOW1 2-ways. Both speakers had the same general design, but a Seas CA15 mid-woof was substituted for the GR mid-woof, and the very expensive Hiqquphon OW-1 tweeters instead of the modest 27TFFC. Cost quite a bit more, but I couldn't tell the difference between them. On rare music passages, I thought I could hear the difference between in bass from the Seas and GR mid-woofs. The Seas had an F3 in those cabs of about 50 Hz, and the GRs were 55 Hz.

Because the speaker & crossover designer was the same guy, they do tend to sound very close to each other, despite the different drivers. And that IMHO is much more important than switching drivers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I still have my CAOW1s as well. They don't get listened to much these days.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Going from the original MBOW1, to the less expensive MB27 (or the no longer available MB20), to the more expensive CAOW1 or EROW1, are all essentially lateral changes. I haven't heard most of Dennis's small Philharmonic Audio 2-ways, but I'd guess they are all more similar than not.

But if you build a 3-way BMR Monitor kit, then you'll hear big differences – all of which I think are improvements.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is why after switching to the Phils, I don't use the CAOW1s. I want to upgrade to the BMRs but had too many things come up this year to justify them.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Going from the original MBOW1, to the less expensive MB27 (or the no longer available MB20), to the more expensive CAOW1 or EROW1, are all essentially lateral changes.
Then I'm not building anything. Not until something breaks.

I managed to find a used Denon AVR 1912.

The last 4 Sewell bananas that Swerd gave me like 10 years ago finally got all used up. I just happened to have a SVS SB12NSD kicking around.

Gotta go get a stent. Later.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
:D
Then I'm not building anything. Not until something breaks.

I managed to find a used Denon AVR 1912.

The last 4 Sewell bananas that Swerd gave me like 10 years ago finally got all used up. I just happened to have a SVS SB12NSD kicking around.

Gotta go get a stent. Later.
There's a motivational speech coming

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
:D
There's a motivational speech coming
The stent thing is not gonna work. They’re talking bypass.

The Denon AVR 1912 is 125w/channel. Not bad for $100. I wonder how much for the bypass. This is cutting into my audio budget.

The speakers have lost the hiss they had using the analog audio out from the TV. Dead silent even with my ear right up to the speaker.

Conscious sedation isn’t worth beans in terms of being buzzed.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord

The Denon AVR 1912 is 125w/channel. Not bad for $100. I wonder how much for the bypass. This is cutting into my audio budget.

The speakers have lost the hiss they had using the analog audio out from the TV. Dead silent even with my ear right up to the speaker.

Crap man. Sorry to hear. Agree on the conscious sedation. We don't pay all this good money to not get at least a good head change.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

You're taking care of it and medicine has come a long way even in the last 10 years.. Father in law had 3 open heart surgeries in his 50s and lived to 91. The blood thinners were the worst part according to him. We'll be praying for your speedy recovery.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Had a triple bypass back in June 100% blocked in 3 places on the widow maker front and back . Was lucky to catch it when we did . Feel better can breathe again but the heal is slow don’t get in a hurry .

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
125w/channel
125 wpc @ 6 Ohms @ 1k Hz with more distortion than the 8 Ohm 90 wpc # going from 20 Hz - 20k Hz.

Sub is nice for small room. Denon manual written by the devil himself.

Had a triple bypass back in June 100% blocked in 3 places on the widow maker front and back . Was lucky to catch it when we did . Feel better can breathe again but the heal is slow don’t get in a hurry .
The Widow Maker! When I asked the smoking hot cardiologist what the blocked artery was called, that name was mentioned after the Left Anterior Descending term got added to my vocabulary. Same story: lucky to have caught it before "The Big One ... Elizabeth"

Please let us know what happens next.
Consult with smoking hot cardiologist on Monday for a now that various results are in.

The following Monday is a consult with the chest cutter now that the stent is a no go.

I think it's time for some herbal supplements. Like a tea. Tumeric could probably fix this.

We'll be praying for your speedy recovery.
Which God? I don't mean to be picky. :D

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
125 wpc @ 6 Ohms @ 1k Hz with more distortion than the 8 Ohm 90 wpc # going from 20 Hz - 20k Hz.

Sub is nice for small room. Denon manual written by the devil himself.

The Widow Maker! When I asked the smoking hot cardiologist what the blocked artery was called, that name was mentioned after the Left Anterior Descending term got added to my vocabulary. Same story: lucky to have caught it before "The Big One ... Elizabeth"

Consult with smoking hot cardiologist on Monday for a now that various results are in.

The following Monday is a consult with the chest cutter now that the stent is a no go.

I think it's time for some herbal supplements. Like a tea. Tumeric could probably fix this.

Which God? I don't mean to be picky. :D
They tried to put stints in this but it was a no go on two heart caths in two weeks I had had enough by then so the bypass guy was called into fix the problem permanently which in the long run better for me . 5 days ICU round the clock care and then they turned my loose but forgot to write a script for any pain meds so took 5 days to straighten that up but them 5 days were hell but I pushed through it . Good luck and take it easy don’t rush the recovery you’ll get there .

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
they turned my loose but forgot to write a script for any pain meds so took 5 days to straighten that up but them 5 days were hell
We have nurses in the family. RN actually stands for Refreshments and Narcotics. Nothin' but blue skies, all I see. j/k. I have a script for a couple of opiates per week that I am able to save up. I doubt I have enough to get me through a heart surgery though.

My older sister just had a bypass. She's a health nut so her recovery was a record setting event. We should all be so lucky. Our older brother was put into a coma for a month after chest compressions broke a rib that then punctured his liver.

Back to audio. My mind is spinning on how to get that HDMI cable buried in the wall. I had that wall apart too, to get power back there for the TV and to move an outlet from behind the dresser. Then I screwed the dresser to the wall after getting it leveled up.

Swerd says I get the best deals. I gotta agree.

• TV $425
  • Speakers $500
  • Rec'r $100
  • Sub $250
  • 2nd Gen Fire TV $25
  • Total: $1300
It would be different if I had more money. Time is what I spent tracking that stuff down ... and gas money. Funny twist with the rec'r purchase. I didn't want the guy to open the box and test the rec'r because I wanted to beat traffic. He had moved back from California recently and the box was taped up. I drove home wondering if I had just given him a hundred bucks for a box of rocks. The remote had batteries that just started to leak and rust. The mic had never been used ... and there was a nice looking pot pipe in there. With the rec'r of course.

I was thinking about starting a thread "What Are You Smoking"? Then this AM my g/f tells me that my smokers cough returning from ganj is making her mental and now I must quit. THC infused coconut oil only going forward. Even my cardiologist said smoking weed wasn't heart healthy. Well, it's been a good run.

My true love is tobacco.

1665225601785.png

One of these is sitting in a humidor waiting for the right time. Having to smoke it without booze is a travesty though. My vices are my dearest friends. That might be the last cigar I smoke but I can't let it be the first cigar I never smoke again ... even if it kills me. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis