Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
MB27s run by some amp off pandaman’s TV. Hope that’s not too technical. Sounds freakin killer. After about 10 years of surround duty, these little speakers finally get their time to shine.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

Rotel RB 981. The Variable setting on the analog audio out on the TV … duh. No receiver required. Got some fuzzy wuzzy action on the screw holes on the bottom of the cabinets.

Curved cabs from PE btw. Swerd built. Dennis Murphy design.

Tunes and stuff via a gen 2 firetv.

Finally

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the GR M130 woofer. Seas or maybe Morel tweeter? Those curved cabinets are pretty nice actually. I have a few of those woofers laying around still from when I rebuilt my A/V-2s. I was going to build them and even bought cabinets, but I already have more than enough speakers sitting around lol. I have a pair of the gen 2 BR1- based AAs from Dennis that are going unused.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like the GR M130 woofer. Seas or maybe Morel tweeter? Those curved cabinets are pretty nice actually. I have a few of those woofers laying around still from when I rebuilt my A/V-2s. I was going to build them and even bought cabinets, but I already have more than enough speakers sitting around lol. I have a pair of the gen 2 BR1- based AAs from Dennis that are going unused.
That GR mid is the stuff of legends at that price point. It's a Seas 27TFFC tweeter in this mix: also pretty cheap. Having Swerd put the sweat equity into them: Priceless.

Dennis has a MB20 that uses a Morel MDT20 tweeter. Both of these designs are about bringing the cost down from an MBOW1 which is what I really really want. Well, I mean this side of a kit that uses the OW1 tweeter and a Revelator mid called the Carrera by Paul Carmody.

I bought a stock BR1 kit off Gene way back. It's funny how it all sounds good until you hear better. It all looks good until you see better. The curved gloss black cabinets I have are not piano finish but they're still better than what I could produce ... ever. Now you can't buy them. The girl let them live on the dresser for months without even being hooked up! Serious WAF, right there.

Does anyone think it would make a noticeable difference to get the equipment to use a DAC outside of the TV?

The reason I ask is there are a couple of things that are missing from how a couple of parts of that album Brothers in Arms are suppose to sound. My streams come through in CD quality and I don't wifi anything. All hard wired.

EDIT: Yeah, there's enough noise that I can hear it at the MLP ... when it's quiet. The digital audio out on the TV isn't subject to the volume control.

Damn. I need a rec'r.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That GR mid is the stuff of legends at that price point. It's a Seas 27TFFC tweeter in this mix: also pretty cheap. Having Swerd put the sweat equity into them: Priceless.

Dennis has a MB20 that uses a Morel MDT20 tweeter. Both of these designs are about bringing the cost down from an MBOW1 which is what I really really want. Well, I mean this side of a kit that uses the OW1 tweeter and a Revelator mid called the Carrera by Paul Carmody.
Not too long after the MB20 speakers were designed, Morel stopped making the MDT20 tweeter. If I remember, it cost somewhere less that $40. The new Morel replacement cost more than double.

So Dennis found a good substitute with the Seas 27TFFC tweeter. Both the GR mid-woof and the Seas tweeter are still available today. But not those cabinets.

I've always liked those MB27 2-way speakers. When I built them, I spent a good hour or two listening closely to them, comparing them directly to my CAOW1 2-ways. Both speakers had the same general design, but a Seas CA15 mid-woof was substituted for the GR mid-woof, and the very expensive Hiqquphon OW-1 tweeters instead of the modest 27TFFC. Cost quite a bit more, but I couldn't tell the difference between them. On rare music passages, I thought I could hear the difference between in bass from the Seas and GR mid-woofs. The Seas had an F3 in those cabs of about 50 Hz, and the GRs were 55 Hz.

Because the speaker & crossover designer was the same guy, they do tend to sound very close to each other, despite the different drivers. And that IMHO is much more important than switching drivers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I still have my CAOW1s as well. They don't get listened to much these days.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Going from the original MBOW1, to the less expensive MB27 (or the no longer available MB20), to the more expensive CAOW1 or EROW1, are all essentially lateral changes. I haven't heard most of Dennis's small Philharmonic Audio 2-ways, but I'd guess they are all more similar than not.

But if you build a 3-way BMR Monitor kit, then you'll hear big differences – all of which I think are improvements.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is why after switching to the Phils, I don't use the CAOW1s. I want to upgrade to the BMRs but had too many things come up this year to justify them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis