Swing the complete opposite of the Bookshelves

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So let's completely swing the opposite direction to my last Bookshelf question. Budget upped to $2000 for the pair. If I am looking for full on powerful loud Progressive Rock music tower speakers, what should we look at. These may not be the most accurate by any means, but I just want something that I can play really loud that sounds incredibly clear from top to bottom. No sub in this system. SVS? Klipsch? others? What would you get in the range and budget?? I do own the RBH SX-6300R but these are in my HT set up and to be honest, I always thought the low end was muddy sounding. So...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SVS Ultra tower looks solid here. You also can not go wrong with Revel, so look at a pair of Concerto2 F36 towers. JBL Studio 500 series would be good too, if still available.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So let's completely swing the opposite direction to my last Bookshelf question. Budget upped to $2000 for the pair. If I am looking for full on powerful loud Progressive Rock music tower speakers, what should we look at. These may not be the most accurate by any means, but I just want something that I can play really loud that sounds incredibly clear from top to bottom. No sub in this system. SVS? Klipsch? others? What would you get in the range and budget?? I do own the RBH SX-6300R but these are in my HT set up and to be honest, I always thought the low end was muddy sounding. So...
For that goal, I may be inclined to look towards some Cerwin Vegas

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
How about examples of the songs? New Prog, or old?

The Monitor Silver 10 might be a good candidate, depending on the size of the room and your amplifier power. I installed a pair last Winter and was a bit surprised by the level of the low frequencies, but they did well with many types of music, including Prog.

The best sounding systems I have heard for Prog tended to include pro audio speakers, but this was live music, not reproduced music. The real sound of synths coming from a PA is something I haven't heard from a home audio system. There's a big difference in the impact of the sound.

Without a sub, this won't be easy. I listen to Prog and my speakers do a great job with everything but the low end, but only for some older music- they make the floor rumble on a lot of music, but the mid-bass is where a lot of the difference lies- that range makes your chest vibrate even if it's not particularly loud and an example of this is 'Birdland', by Weather Report.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
JBL Studio 590, if you can put up with the construction quality. I recently heard a pair. Surprisingly good sound, they remind me very much of my Klipsch RF62-IIs, but a lot bigger, and I suspect they play much louder. Like the Klipschs they struck me as deviating from neutrality, but I didn't have familiar recordings or measuring equipment when I heard them. Some cheap-looking and feeling materials though, which may surprise buyers at this price. For pop music and HT use they just might be best sound-quality bargain I've heard yet.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Modern Prog like Porcupine Tree Riverside etc. I also listen to a lot of Post Modern rock, which is all Instrumental. Jakob, God is an Astronaut, Astralia, Majora. All great stuff.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I do like the thought of those SVS towers. I have read a ton of good stuff on them.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just bite the bullet and get a pair of these
Massive output, good extension. Although they don't list the -10db I've got to imagine that it's still with considerable spl.
http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis_210rt.html

More dynamics than you can imagine. There is a member here that went from Revel top of the line to JTR Speakers.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I have read that if you call Acoustic Sound Design he gives incredible deals that are not advertised. He is an authorized dealer Klipsch.

Klipsch Heresy III $1000.00 each.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1318&sc=57

Heresy III Specifications
frequency response 58Hz-20kHz�±3dB
power handling 100 w max continuous (400 w peak)
sensitivity 99dB @ 1watt/1meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms
crossover frequency HF: 5000Hz
LF: 850Hz
maximum acoustic output 116dB SPL
tweeter K-107-TI 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver
high frequency horn Tractrix Horn
midrange K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver
mid frequency horn Exponential Horn
woofer K-28-E 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone
enclosure material MDF
enclosure type Sealed
dimensions 23.81" H (60.48 cm) x 15.5" W (39.37 cm) x 13.25" D (33.66 cm)
weight 44 lbs unboxed
finishes Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer
built from 2006

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Modern Prog like Porcupine Tree Riverside etc. I also listen to a lot of Post Modern rock, which is all Instrumental. Jakob, God is an Astronaut, Astralia, Majora. All great stuff.
I was also gonna say try the jbl590’s. I listen PT also, on some older JBL studioII and they lend themselves very well, and I believe the new ones would too. IMO, you’ll still want to run a sub but room construction can effect that a great deal. Fwiw, I have a pair of S-38II’s(lots of great reviews) that I just retired from surround duty, that could be for sale. Just sayin...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
JTRs

Frequency +/- 3db
38hz-24khz
Sensitivity*
95db (2.0 volts, free air)
Usable Output
128db (calculated peak 131 – 3db compression)
Recommended Amplification
up to 2000 watts RMS (program)
Impedance
4 ohm
Dimensions (HxWxD)
43″x12.25″x16.5″
Weight
125lbs
Construction
24mm, 18ply, void free, Baltic Birch (Several times stronger and more expensive than MDF)
Exterior Finish
Matte black lacquer paint
Connectors
Binding Post

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would love to go the JTR route, especially the 215....but the 228 is closer to your budget than the 210.

I have the JBL 590s (along with 580s, 530s and a 520c), they'd probably fit the bill, but they seem to be scarce at the moment and only going for retail ($1k ea), picked mine up for $900 the pair and recently there was a sale in the 950/pr range, so if you have time you might wait for another sale. While I still prefer subs with them, they do quite well for a lot of music without (and I'm a bassolholic).

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
JTRs

Frequency +/- 3db
38hz-24khz
Sensitivity*
95db (2.0 volts, free air)
Usable Output
128db (calculated peak 131 – 3db compression)
Recommended Amplification
up to 2000 watts RMS (program)
Impedance
4 ohm
Dimensions (HxWxD)
43″x12.25″x16.5″
Weight
125lbs
Construction
24mm, 18ply, void free, Baltic Birch (Several times stronger and more expensive than MDF)
Exterior Finish
Matte black lacquer paint
Connectors
Binding Post
This is a GREAT recommendation!! Check out the entire line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I have a pair of the 590's here for testing. I'm pretty impressed with them--there's lots of engineering going on. Just make sure you realize how big they are. Mine arrived via freight strapped onto a pallet.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Would studio 580"s be close to the 590 with their 6.5 drivers. Found some local for a pretty good price.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would studio 580"s be close to the 590 with their 6.5 drivers. Found some local for a pretty good price.
They're somewhat close, altho I haven't done a side by side comparison between mine. What's the pretty good price? I paid $518 new delivered for a pair of 580s several months back.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I do like the thought of those SVS towers. I have read a ton of good stuff on them.
I have listened to some of the SVS Towers in @Pogre's home here in Arizona.
They are legit. Very nice sound.
Of course, being Pogre, he has them sitting with two massive Hsu subs.
He also listens to some pretty challenging music. Tool and various bands of that genre.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair of 580's and Klipsch RF-82iii's.
IMHO, the bass of the Klipsch is tighter, but the 580, surprisingly (because of the smaller woofers) has more overall output! I guess Klipsh put efficiency above extension, which is a good call for typical HT with sub.

That said, I am happy with either listening to music.
I might not be if you added a sub then took it away, but as long as my ears have not heard the extra bass recently, they sound pretty good as full range speakers.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have a pair of the 590's here for testing. I'm pretty impressed with them--there's lots of engineering going on. Just make sure you realize how big they are. Mine arrived via freight strapped onto a pallet.
Dennis:
Speaking of JBL's as a possible speaker, here's one that may be out of stock but it looks like its "the complete opposite of bookshelf speakers" , which is what the OP started the thread with. These JBL's look like the complete opposite of a bookshelf and they were apparently the longest running JBL product line in the history of JBL. I have never seen them in person. Anybody seen this in person?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis