Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I think what we need to do here is refrain from arguing back and forth. I asked a simple question about your opinion on the 2 subwoofer companies as I have not seen them directly compared to one another. In the past I was really disappointed by SVS in the Cylinder models and then the 3 hole 15 inch Models. This is going back to 2004-2010. I'm sure SVS has got better over the years and without anywhere to go listen to one unless you know someone who purchased one. JL Audio sub's I have heard many times and I have been very impressed with every single model.
I grew up on Velodyne Subs and use to think they where the best in the business until I really got exposed to JL Audio. I also have a lot of experience with REL which man they are really nice and pleasing to listen to for music and not so much for Movies. Yeah a sub should be able to do both but thats not true in the really real world. I have heard subs like Klipsch Polk Mirage Paradigm that do a fine job for the most part for movie sound tracks but when you listen to music they seem to slam and shake more so then the music should. Annoying really.
JL Sub's like the older Velodyne's seem very smooth for music as they sound like real kick drums and Bass guitars yet when you watch a Action Movie they make you feel like the BOMB went off in your room. Amazing to say the least.
Many people on this forum brag about how good SVS subs are and I just wanted to see if anyone ever really compared them to each other. Not on paper I could care less about spec's for the most part. So many companies make some crazy claims about how deep their subs can go etc. I'm more interested in accurate bass reproduction and SVS comes up a lot.
Currently I don't know anyone who has any model to even check out.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think what we need to do here is refrain from arguing back and forth. I asked a simple question about your opinion on the 2 subwoofer companies as I have not seen them directly compared to one another. In the past I was really disappointed by SVS in the Cylinder models and then the 3 hole 15 inch Models. This is going back to 2004-2010. I'm sure SVS has got better over the years and without anywhere to go listen to one unless you know someone who purchased one. JL Audio sub's I have heard many times and I have been very impressed with every single model.
I grew up on Velodyne Subs and use to think they where the best in the business until I really got exposed to JL Audio. I also have a lot of experience with REL which man they are really nice and pleasing to listen to for music and not so much for Movies. Yeah a sub should be able to do both but thats not true in the really real world. I have heard subs like Klipsch Polk Mirage Paradigm that do a fine job for the most part for movie sound tracks but when you listen to music they seem to slam and shake more so then the music should. Annoying really.
JL Sub's like the older Velodyne's seem very smooth for music as they sound like real kick drums and Bass guitars yet when you watch a Action Movie they make you feel like the BOMB went off in your room. Amazing to say the least.
Many people on this forum brag about how good SVS subs are and I just wanted to see if anyone ever really compared them to each other. Not on paper I could care less about spec's for the most part. So many companies make some crazy claims about how deep their subs can go etc. I'm more interested in accurate bass reproduction and SVS comes up a lot.
Just take advantage of the 45 day trail as hearing a sub in someone else's room dosent always give an accurate representation. Under 200hz the room is just as important as the product in mid level and up subs. I spend quite a bit of time setting up my systems to get it where it sounds good.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I can't speak for JL I currently have 2 SVS PB 4000's. Before that 2 PB 2000's. I've been very very happy with both experiences. They're bass is clean it is tight very distortionless and accurate bass very accurate to the source. And customer service is excellent. A lot of people knock on SVS now and I see they're side of it for the PRICE there are products from competitors that OUTPERFORM them. If I wanted best price to performance ratio I would have gone with other products. What SVS excels at is that they're products are solid all the way around. They don't really have major weaknesses. They're musical and great for movies. They may be outperformed by other competitors on extension and upper bass. But not by too much. They're is nothing they don't do well. And the extra money that they could have used to squeeze out that last small leap into greatness they put into features and visual appeal. Which is critical for consumers like myself. I can't have a dedicated theater room in my home. So the living room is where its at. If I have to put huge gear in an open area then I need something that looks GREAT and is very user friendly but still kicks ass across the board in all areas both with music and movies to satisfy my thirst for quality quality bass then these fit the bill. Can they be outperformed yes but not where it's going to be easy to notice what I mean by that is I'm not sitting here with my 4000's going Damn this sounds boomy or Damn I wish I would've gone with my other choice. I'm going DAMN these sound AWESOME. I'm really really happy with this purchase. And DAMN these things look so sexy in my living room setup I can't stop staring at them. And that is enough of what I'm looking for 4 me. Also the phone app to control both subs is AMAZING. on movie nights or music listening being able to adjust and tweak the sub's on the fly without ever needing to get off my couch is quiet simply very addicting and I underestimated how much I'd appreciate it. So that is my take on 1/2 of your question the SVS side. Hopefully someone can give you they're experience with JL Audio so you can compare both sides and see where you want to go from there
20180915_202435.jpg
20180915_202313.jpg

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I can't speak for JL I currently have 2 SVS PB 4000's. Before that 2 PB 2000's. I've been very very happy with both experiences. They're bass is clean it is tight very distortionless and accurate bass very accurate to the source. And customer service is excellent. A lot of people knock on SVS now and I see they're side of it for the PRICE there are products from competitors that OUTPERFORM them. If I wanted best price to performance ratio I would have gone with other products. What SVS excels at is that they're products are solid all the way around. They don't really have major weaknesses. They're musical and great for movies. They may be outperformed by other competitors on extension and upper bass. But not by too much. They're is nothing they don't do well. And the extra money that they could have used to squeeze out that last small leap into greatness they put into features and visual appeal. Which is critical for consumers like myself. I can't have a dedicated theater room in my home. So the living room is where its at. If I have to put huge gear in an open area then I need something that looks GREAT and is very user friendly but still kicks ass across the board in all areas both with music and movies to satisfy my thirst for quality quality bass then these fit the bill. Can they be outperformed yes but not where it's going to be easy to notice what I mean by that is I'm not sitting here with my 4000's going Damn this sounds boomy or Damn I wish I would've gone with my other choice. I'm going DAMN these sound AWESOME. I'm really really happy with this purchase. And DAMN these things look so sexy in my living room setup I can't stop staring at them. And that is enough of what I'm looking for 4 me. Also the phone app to control both subs is AMAZING. on movie nights or music listening being able to adjust and tweak the sub's on the fly without ever needing to get off my couch is quiet simply very addicting and I underestimated how much I'd appreciate it. So that is my take on 1/2 of your question the SVS side. Hopefully someone can give you they're experience with JL Audio so you can compare both sides and see where you want to go from thereView attachment 25963View attachment 25964
What does the app let you adjust? Gain or what else?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What does the app let you adjust? Gain or what else?
Pretty much everything any feature on the back of the sub is in the app. In fact there are no controls on the back except for inputs and outputs and the on off switch. You can do gain you can do port tuning you can adjust polarity, phase, you set up 3 custom modes you've preprogrammed in. Adjust for room gain have 3 programmed eq sets locked in. Adjust the roll off (I know I'm not saying that right) but literally I mean everything you can think of is there. The only thing it's missing is room eq but almost no sub has that from any company since you can just do it from the av reciever or specific room setup programs you guys have told me about.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty much everything any feature on the back of the sub is in the app. In fact there are no controls on the back except for inputs and outputs and the on off switch. You can do gain you can do port tuning you can adjust polarity, phase, you set up 3 custom modes you've preprogrammed in. Adjust for room gain have 3 programmed eq sets locked in. Adjust the roll off (I know I'm not saying that right) but literally I mean everything you can think of is there. The only thing it's missing is room eq but almost no sub has that from any company since you can just do it from the av reciever or specific room setup programs you guys have told me about.
I'd say few subs have room eq, it is available in some. PSB, Elac, Velodyne, JL and others...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'd say few subs have room eq, it is available in some. PSB, Elac, Velodyne, JL and others...
Yeah I knew there weren't many I didn't know there were that many tho. That's interesting to know. I wonder what it brings to the table? Be neat to hear from people with experience what advantages that provides

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
SVS cause Kurt said.

I haven't heard either. That's what Kurt is for.
It is good to have purpose!!!
On the JL Audio sub...
I believe (based on my ownership of the JL Audio E112) that JL Audio makes some amazing products if you have severe size constraints. They get amazingly deep bass out of such a compact form factor!
However, allowing a larger sub will provide some combination of improved performance & reduced cost.
My E112 actually had too much low bass after room gain was factored in...so much that Audyssey could not tame it (admittedly, I could only place them within 4' of the corners of the room),which is my other complaint - At the price of the JL Audios, I feel a sub should have some way to tune it through EQ settings. Look at images of the controls for Rythmik, PSA, and Hsu to see some of these options (SVS has it as well, but their's is in a menu LCD display - not as easy to recognize).
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/speaker-comparison-test-setup-question-cm6-s2-vs-rt400-w-rx-a860-and-jl-dom-10.107586/#post-1190658

That is my view of the JL Audio e112's. I see them as good option only if you are restricted to a small form factor.

As far as SVS, I would put them in with the other suspects: Rythmik, PSA, Hsu, and Outlaw. SVS is a little more pricey, but they are also attractive packages (if you don't mind the perforated metal grill) and while all of these companies offer excellent CS, I think SVS is probably a step above, and, of course, their assurances such as 45 day returns and upgrade/trade-in options may be well worth the extra cost. It just depends on what you value.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just to answer one of your questions regarding direct comparisons. I've listened to the sb13 from SVS and e112 from JL.

Both have similar form factors with the SVS slightly larger. With a price difference of about $400 more, and slightly smaller driver the JL was a very capable through the mid bass not that great under 25hz (as expected). The room was medium in size with no openings.
The SVS was in a smaller room that had opening to another small room. As was the JL, the SVS had great mid bass and surprisingly did well below 25hz.

Knowing the differences between them, I'd taken the SVS without question.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Just to answer one of your questions regarding direct comparisons. I've listened to the sb13 from SVS and e112 from JL.

Both have similar form factors with the SVS slightly larger. With a price difference of about $400 more, and slightly smaller driver the JL was a very capable through the mid bass not that great under 25hz (as expected). The room was medium in size with no openings.
The SVS was in a smaller room that had opening to another small room. As was the JL, the SVS had great mid bass and surprisingly did well below 25hz.

Knowing the differences between them, I'd taken the SVS without question.
Interesting. I gotta get my hands on a SVS sub so I can hear one or 2. Thanks for the comparison.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting. I gotta get my hands on a SVS sub so I can hear one or 2. Thanks for the comparison.
The best thing about SVS is that they offer that 45 day free trial period with free shipping both ways. So you can really try something out really dial it in to your system and if you want return it risk free. Auditioning in your own room risk free it can't get any better then that.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like Rythmik and HSU and I own both brands, but SVS is another solid option. The monolith subs are also a good option.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I have tons of stereo and home theater mags,which ISSUE were you looking for?
I was actually asking if you have some personal issues for labeling a solid and helpful advice as BS? ShadyJ gave a good and decent advice, why would anyone call that BS, other than out of need for attention, is beyond me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis