Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Let's look at these 2 companies that make great subwoofers BUT if price was no object and you could have any sub from either company what sub would you pick and why? Most of us use 2 subs so picking 2 of said model is more realistic.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
JL isn't usually on my radar at all. Small and pretty they have some options, value not so much. SVS isn't as big a value leader as they once were, but their customer service package, if you need it, is pretty damn good.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Let's look at these 2 companies that make great subwoofers BUT if price was no object and you could have any sub from either company what sub would you pick and why? Most of us use 2 subs so picking 2 of said model is more realistic.
It depends on application. For deep bass, JL Audio doesn't have anything that can challenge the PB16-Ultra. For midbass, SVS doesn't have anything that could challenge the Gotham g213v2. Both manufacturers have their strengths. However, there is no doubt that SVS is the value leader between them. You could get six PB16-Ultras for the MSRP of one g213v2.

D

Deftechster

Enthusiast
Price is no object, soooooo that kinda throws out the bang for your buck value BS. Im going with two Gotham over two svs Ultras. I've owned svs and was never satisfied with the quality of bass they reproduce, first time I heard the Gotham it was a life changing event

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Price is no object, soooooo that kinda throws out the bang for your buck value BS. Im going with two Gotham over two svs Ultras. I've owned svs and was never satisfied with the quality of bass they reproduce, first time I heard the Gotham it was a life changing event
I have plenty of experience from both brands. They are both fine. I wouldn't call JL subs life-changing though.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You didnt qualify what model you owned and when, if you had it setup up properly etc.
I'd say the majority that have owned svs have been pleased.

D

Deftechster

Enthusiast
You didnt qualify what model you owned and when, if you had it setup up properly etc.
I'd say the majority that have owned svs have been pleased.
My first svs was a 20-39 pci in 2007,left a bad impression. I use sub crawl to place,always found that pleasing to my ears. Here recently I have demo'd an sb16 and pb16 through our magnolia,had to find out what all the fanfare was over these.

The sb16 was as lifeless a sub as I think I've ever heard and the pb16 is a booming chuff monster I would compare to most car audio spl comp setups.

I answered the OP's question if money wasn't an object, you are stuck on bang for buck,I find that ridiculous, I'll pay whatever I want for whatever sounds good to me as is every man's right.

We have a local HT group here, give or take 40 members, most have succumbed to the svs hype,most have moved on after the hype wore off to what sounds good to their individual listening habits.

I own a pair of Trinity's,couple of us do. A few own JL fathoms and Gotham's ,some psa,paradigm,it's a big mix, alot of us have diy's. Some do one thing very good,some do everything very well,I'll put the Gotham in the latter.

And life is all around us, it changes constantly,the day I heard a Gotham life made a change right there. Svs never gave that impression.

Just my two cents. You will very rarely see a quality sub owner hijacking threads like svs fanboys do. It's rampant on every forum.

All of you new to HT or bass should also know that these forums are loaded with reps,salesmen,and reviewers from these ID companies plugging their brand for sales and bashing the competition. Remember when choosing audio,go demo it yourself, bring it home make YOUR choice not someone else's.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Think if money is no object and let’s say the house and room too... Why not JTR speakers all around and captivator 4000 subs? :)

D

Deftechster

Enthusiast
I can't believe not one has pointed out the obvious hypocritical view in my long rant post. And here I thought audiophiles were a cerebral clan........rolls eyes.....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My first svs was a 20-39 pci in 2007,left a bad impression. I use sub crawl to place,always found that pleasing to my ears. Here recently I have demo'd an sb16 and pb16 through our magnolia,had to find out what all the fanfare was over these.

The sb16 was as lifeless a sub as I think I've ever heard and the pb16 is a booming chuff monster I would compare to most car audio spl comp setups.

I answered the OP's question if money wasn't an object, you are stuck on bang for buck,I find that ridiculous, I'll pay whatever I want for whatever sounds good to me as is every man's right.

We have a local HT group here, give or take 40 members, most have succumbed to the svs hype,most have moved on after the hype wore off to what sounds good to their individual listening habits.

I own a pair of Trinity's,couple of us do. A few own JL fathoms and Gotham's ,some psa,paradigm,it's a big mix, alot of us have diy's. Some do one thing very good,some do everything very well,I'll put the Gotham in the latter.

And life is all around us, it changes constantly,the day I heard a Gotham life made a change right there. Svs never gave that impression.

Just my two cents. You will very rarely see a quality sub owner hijacking threads like svs fanboys do. It's rampant on every forum.

All of you new to HT or bass should also know that these forums are loaded with reps,salesmen,and reviewers from these ID companies plugging their brand for sales and bashing the competition. Remember when choosing audio,go demo it yourself, bring it home make YOUR choice not someone else's.
Again poor setups. Your description does not line up with proven, measurable, objective and subjective reviews. Sub crawl works fairly well, but how was the sub integrated to the mains and center?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Again poor setups. Your description does not line up with proven, measurable, objective and subjective reviews. Sub crawl works fairly well, but how was the sub integrated to the mains and center?
Agreed. Bass quality is hugely susceptible to placement issues. I could make JL Audio's best subs sound terrible in the same room, same system, by just poor placement. If you look at JL Audio's measurements, they are a fine sub, same with SVS, and these measurements aren't contaminated by room modes. Magnolia is a terrible place to demo subwoofers, I would not make judgements based on experiences there.

D

Deftechster

Enthusiast
I introduced the subs formally to the mains and center,I even Did the same for the rears,they just didn't get along with SVS subs,as a matter of fact I think I heard one say something about lynching the svs because of very poor SQ,they are very picky about who they hang out with. They love my other subs,strange.....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I introduced the subs formally to the mains and center,I even Did the same for the rears,they just didn't get along with SVS subs,as a matter of fact I think I heard one say something about lynching the svs because of very poor SQ,they are very picky about who they hang out with. They love my other subs,strange.....
Cool, so you wont discus specific details and just bash instead. Till you step up your opinions are just that. Good luck on your sub journey, it's a painstaking process to setup right.

Many members have come with your type of situation and were amazed that it was the setup that wasnt correctly done.

D

Deftechster

Enthusiast
Agreed. Bass quality is hugely susceptible to placement issues. I could make JL Audio's best subs sound terrible in the same room, same system, by just poor placement. If you look at JL Audio's measurements, they are a fine sub, same with SVS, and these measurements aren't contaminated by room modes. Magnolia is a terrible place to demo subwoofers, I would not make judgements based on experiences there.
Cool, so you wont discus specific details and just bash instead. Till you step up your opinions are just that. Good luck on your sub journey, it's a painstaking process to setup right.

I didn't have a situation until you guys finally broke me down, ruined my self confidence, and made sure my intelligence was questioned. Now, I must rebuild myself personally,probably with months of counseling. There's a good chance I'll never enter my HT again,there's no point now,I'm a failure. 20 years of audio dashed upon the rocks.......

Many members have come with your type of situation and were amazed that it was the setup that wasnt correctly done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't believe not one has pointed out the obvious hypocritical view in my long rant post. And here I thought audiophiles were a cerebral clan........rolls eyes.....
It can take time to develop responses....you didn't wait very long :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis