M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm trying to better fill my 6750 ft3 family room that currently has a ML Dynamo 1000 filling it. I placed an order for dual SVS SB16 ultras last night but am now second guessing myself.

I am struggling with going dual SB16s or a single PB16. Partly because of price and partly because of size.

General understanding is duals will provide better overall smoothness throughout the space but the single might just be enough?

Content is primarily movies if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Thanks,
Butch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SB16 Ultras will be easier to handle than the PB16 Ultra. Two SB16s should be able to match or exceed a PB16's output at 30 Hz and above, but below that a single PB16 will have significantly more output. If you are worried about weight and size, you might just want to stick with the SB16s. The PB16 is very large and extremely heavy. The SB16s are no picknick themselves at 130 lbs each, but they are easier to move due to their size. You will want furniture sliders regardless.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Either option in duals should perform well in that volume room, especially if you place them correctly. You’ll get more output with the PB, but those 16Ultras are supposed to be beasts! You got them coming already... ride it out: set up and try them out! You got 45 days to experiment. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Sticking with SVS, I'd reckon a pair of PB3000's might be a happy medium. Weight is less than half of the big PB16 at 82.2 pounds, you still get the app controls, and presuming the new 3000's match or exceed the Plus line they replace, performance should be pretty good across the board as well. Dual PC4000's would be another step up if you're OK swallowing the cost and the looks of the cylinders.

I

Imureh

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I'm trying to better fill my 6750 ft3 family room that currently has a ML Dynamo 1000 filling it. I placed an order for dual SVS SB16 ultras last night but am now second guessing myself.

I am struggling with going dual SB16s or a single PB16. Partly because of price and partly because of size.

General understanding is duals will provide better overall smoothness throughout the space but the single might just be enough?

Content is primarily movies if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Thanks,
Butch

For movies in that size room you would want to stick with ported. Go with dual PB 4000 if a PB 16 ultra is not possible or you can get one now and another one later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Another good idea might be the PC-4000s. Much easier to move then the 16-Ultra series, and has the deep bass output advantage of ported subwoofers. They might be my first choice among SVS subs.

M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendations. We will see how the SBs do and go from there. Now I need to find a place for each. The couch is in the direct middle of the room and I may place both behind the couch at each end.

(I have some more reading to do on this)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's very crude, as Shady pointed out to me, but the Subwoofer Crawl was really educational, for me. I learned a lot about LF soundwaves and my room's acoustics by doing it. There are a couple other videos on YouTube, also, but they all amount to the same thing:
Learn to use your ears!
I found experiential knowledge about Corner Loading in a somewhat good way, and also in a bad way (two different corners). One was louder but not usable due to accessibility issues, the other useless (louder but crazy-boomy. I found a spot which I liked as a possible location ended up killing the bass almost entirely. In the end, I also learned my room seems to be somewhat LF-friendly with some wide range of placement options available to me.
If complete control over high-end sound is your goal, like mine is, the next step is testing with a calibrated mic and REW, I'm gonna tackle that down the road a little bit when my system is complete, but if your ears are happy, you might not need to. :)
Cheers!

M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
Attached is what I'm working with here. Can't do any corners and can't do apposing sides...

Looking like both in the front of the room or right behind the couch (have power there)

I'll do the crawl with my smaller dynamo sitting in my center seat and see which two positions are better.

Thanks

Might I add, my wife was NOT pleased with my recent purchase and actually asked me to return them when they get here... I'm going to attempt to prove that this is the right setup for my system by playing Dunkerk (UHD) or Jurassic Park Lost Kingdom (UHD) to get a great immersion experience... Not sure how many have been in my shoes...

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Attached is what I'm working with here. Can't do any corners and can't do apposing sides...

Looking like both in the front of the room or right behind the couch (have power there)

I'll do the crawl with my smaller dynamo sitting in my center seat and see which two positions are better.

Thanks

Might I add, my wife was NOT pleased with my recent purchase and actually asked me to return them when they get here... I'm going to attempt to prove that this is the right setup for my system by playing Dunkerk (UHD) or Jurassic Park Lost Kingdom (UHD) to get a great immersion experience... Not sure how many have been in my shoes...

You did see monk is selling a couple of jbl gtis in the classifieds

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/fs-2-x-jbl-w15gti-mkii-shipped-or-pickup-in-los-angeles.113358/

Great price for performance hint hint hint etc

M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
Appreciate the suggestion but I am elbow deep in the SVS already. No changing the current order. Was originally looking for a comparison between the SB and PB but am sticking with the SB Ultras.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. Yep. Been there. My wife gets pissy sometimes but I just remind her that I live here too! So I have some say like it or not.
Are your side surrounds in front of your couch?

M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
They are at a slight angle. Something I was trying out. They face the main listening position but are a foot or two in front.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They are at a slight angle. Something I was trying out. They face the main listening position but are a foot or two in front.

How’s it working?

M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
How’s it working?
Works well. I felt like I was missing left or right noises if I wasn't in the middle of the couch or if others were sitting and their heads were in the way. I know there is a lot of science involved but for the most part I try to just feel it out.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Works well. I felt like I was missing left or right noises if I wasn't in the middle of the couch or if others were sitting and their heads were in the way. I know there is a lot of science involved but for the most part I try to just feel it out.

Interesting. My surrounds(before I lowered them for atmos) were always at around 70 inches as pointed down so extra heads weren’t a problem. I’ve seen on the “other” forum a couple guys recommend moving just in front of the LP for more cohesive front and back sound fields. Just wondered how you liked it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Room looks tough to place subs but I might go up front with those delicious electrostats. I know your deep into the SB’s but that’s a big looking space and I’d see what they could do about making a deal on a pair of ported ones. Probably pc/pb3k’s.

M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
One of two showed up today. Wife gave me instant grief based on size alone. I might try my luck putting them behind my couch (in the middle of the space) to apease the visual concern and see how that works out and work from there :/

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
One of two showed up today. Wife gave me instant grief based on size alone. I might try my luck putting them behind my couch (in the middle of the space) to apease the visual concern and see how that works out and work from there :/

The middle of the room is a poor position for response smoothness at your listening seat, and from what I've read and in my experience it is a terrible place for subwoofers.

I recommend trying to get permission for the following:

1. Move the sectional back (away from the display) at least two feet.
2. Move the ML L-R speakers out from the wall at least one foot.
3. Try to put the subs behind the L-R speakers (one behind each).

M

MTGOAT

Enthusiast
Ended up putting them both upfront due to lifestyle concerns which I know is less than ideal. Finally calibrated them last night. I actually found issues with getting a test tone to the subs to set spl prior to room correction so I just ran Audyssey.

Watched Inception and was a bit underwhelmed. I was expecting more impact than I received. Spl is -22db on each sub to get the 72db from each at setup. Audyssey on my Marantz 7009 has the level set at -8db.

This is all new territory for me but I have found quite a bit of material to review.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis